Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat on lamb shank

Options
  • 12-10-2016 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

As the the title says,

Roughly how much meat should I get off a typical lamb shank?

Is there a ratio of meat to bone typically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In all honesty - in terms of weight it will depend on the size of the shank. The shanks I usually get from my butcher would feed one very hungry person. Shanks I've had in restaurants sometimes have been a lot smaller.

As for ratio of bone to flesh maybe if there's a butcher or a vet around the forum they may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There's no set ratio as it depends on a number of factors. It's like asking how big is a steak.
    Breed, age and how they were fed will all play a part in the final size. A suffolk or texel will have a lot more meat on them than a blackface up a mountain. Connemara or mountain lamb will be tastier but there won't be as much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

also how long or short the shank is cut will make a huge difference.

There really is no straight answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ok thanks guys, just trying to figure out macro nutrition for it. Because they are so good but I need to trim a few kilos myself

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried asking in the Nutrition & Diet forum? They may be able to give you good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are regularly getting similar size ones you could weigh one and then after eating weigh the leftover bone. I would imagine the bone would lose mositure too while cooking though.

So if it was 1kg and the bone ended up wieghing 300g, then it could have been 660g/330g at the start.

Advertisement