Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled online order before it has shipped

Options
  • 12-10-2016 12:15am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought something last night on Wiggle and have since seen a better product for the same money elsewhere so I want to return my Wiggle order. I told them this earlier on today and they informed me that it's too late. Now I can send the order back once it gets here but that mean I'll have to pay return postage which is expensive. Am I'm entitled to cancel an order before it has shipped without having to wait for it to be posted and then post it back?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wiggle is not an Irish company and not subject to Irish law. Distance selling act would have protected you in this case.

You are stuck with their contract terms.
    If you want to cancel an order before we have despatched it just follow these easy steps:

Login into your account
    Click on ‘My Orders’ on the left hand side menu
    Select the order you wish to cancel
    Click the 'Cancel This Order' button
    Please note that we pride ourselves on our quick turnaround time, this does mean there is only a small window to cancel your order. If you notice a mistake please cancel the order from within your account as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.

If the 'Cancel This Order' button is not visible when you view the order in your account this does mean that we are unable to cancel the order as it has entered our processing system and/or been dispatched.

Although we will try our best to assist you we cannot guarantee we will be able to cancel your order in time.

Orders that have already been processed cannot be canceled; they must be returned to Wiggle. For more information about returns, please read our Returns Procedure

Once the order has been canceled you will receive a confirmation email. Orders that have been paid at checkout will be automatically refunded, any other payment methods would not have been charged so would not be due a refund. Unfortunately orders that have been canceled cannot be reactivated, so if you change your mind, please place a new order in the usual way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Steve wrote: »
    Wiggle is not an Irish company and not subject to Irish law. Distance selling act would have protected you in this case.

You are stuck with their contract terms.

Isn't the distance selling act based on an EU law so applicable across the EU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Isn't the distance selling act based on an EU law so applicable across the EU?

Actually yeah, I assumed it was USA from the site but it's UK.

You probably have a valid claim but it's beyond what I know wrt how to go about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You probably missed the window for them to be able to pull the order.
    They're processing hundred of orders a day I'd imagine and you want them to find your lights among all them boxes which are probably already in a shipping container of some sorts.

Even Amazon can't always cancel an order in time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wiggle have done nothing wrong here, you're still entitled to cancel the order by returning the item. However as it's classed as change of mind they are not obliged to cover postage.

It's silly to expect to be able to cancel an order upto the very second it dispatches, this just can't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Steve wrote: »
    Actually yeah, I assumed it was USA from the site but it's UK.

You probably have a valid claim but it's beyond what I know wrt how to go about it. :)

But they are saying that the item can be returned for refund, so there's no issue on that point.

OP has an issue in having to pay for returning the item. Why should the sender incur this cost as there's nothing wrong with the product except that the OP wants to save another euro or two by buying elsewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You probably missed the window for them to be able to pull the order.
    They're processing hundred of orders a day I'd imagine and you want them to find your lights among all them boxes which are probably already in a shipping container of some sorts.

Even Amazon can't always cancel an order in time.

I've cancelled orders after they had shipped from Amazon with no problems. I know of others who changed their mind after the product had arrived and Amazon gave them a shipping label so they could post it back for free. So, probably best not to compare them to Amazon. :)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Wiggle have done nothing wrong here, you're still entitled to cancel the order by returning the item. However as it's classed as change of mind they are not obliged to cover postage.

It's silly to expect to be able to cancel an order upto the very second it dispatches, this just can't happen.

It wasn't up to the moment it dispatches. I ordered it about 1.30 AM and tried to cancel it at 12.30PM yesterday. The order still hasn't dispatched. They would happily cancel this order without even asking me if it was a misprice.
    Walter2016 wrote: »
    But they are saying that the item can be returned for refund, so there's no issue on that point.

OP has an issue in having to pay for returning the item. Why should the sender incur this cost as there's nothing wrong with the product except that the OP wants to save another euro or two by buying elsewhere

Not trying to save a euro or two, looking to spend an additional fiver or so actually on a higher end product that usually retails for about €40 more than the one I ordered from Wiggle. For an extra fiver it's worth it, but once you add in costs to post it back to Wiggle and the charge they deduct from your refund for sending it back to Ireland, it'll probably be an extra €20 so not worth it for me.

Also, I'm not saying the sender should incur charges for a change of mind. I was asking whether a consumer is allowed to cancel an order before it ships, the same as a retailer would if it was a misprice.

If this had been a misprice most retailers would have no problem cancelling the order prior to it shipping stating that because they haven't charged for it yet no contract is in place. This is the reason they don't charge until something has shipped. If they have the right to reject my offer, surely I should have the right to retract my offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You ****ed up here, not wiggle.

Just pay the return shipping cost if you wish to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

RossieMan wrote: »
    You ****ed up here, not wiggle.

Just pay the return shipping cost if you wish to return it.

Using that logic, if they accidentally put a misprice on their website that would end up losing them money on each order they should ship it because they fúcked up not the customer. In reality we all know that wouldn't happen. They would cancel the orders as they are entitled to under law.

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »

They will still charge for sending it back to the UK though.

http://www.wiggle.com/h/option/returnsprocedure

"We will refund you the value of your goods, deducting the amount shown in the table below from your refund to cover the return journey to the UK."

Plus, the estimated delivery date is a week from now so the other offer will probably be gone by then as it's a clearance deal. Plus, like you say they could easily just leave it with a neighbour anyway as I won't be there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Most companies will regard items as sent or dispatched for cancellation purposes once it has been packed and put into their dispatch/shipping containers. once this happens it is just too labour intensive to search through all their packed orders for one order. the orders might not physically be dispatched for a number of hours or even a couple of days after but that is still how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Melendez wrote: »
    I was told to do this a couple of times, and have read it on some sites FAQs

Some companies could easily put a cancellation fee in place, it might cost them a fiver or tenner in admin & labour to get a box back which is half way through its postage, but could cost the customer €40 to return it. If the customer is telling them they have every intention of returning it the second it arrives then it would be in the companies interest to offer a cancellation fee like this, otherwise they lose out on all the admin & packing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I think the last couple of items I ordered from Wiggle were delivered by An Post.
    Don't know if it's as easy to "reject" the item with them as it would be with a Courier Company ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I think the last couple of items I ordered from Wiggle were delivered by An Post.
    Don't know if it's as easy to "reject" the item with them as it would be with a Courier Company ???

Might be even easier, if you are not home (or judging from many threads even if you are home) they will post in the notice to collect in the post office. If not collected in X days it is sent back. I think in some other thread someone reckoned it was destroyed, but I am pretty sure a quote was shown to say its sent back.

According to their terms of service, there is no contract formed until the goods are dispatched. Seeing as the goods weren't dispatched at the time I asked for the order to be cancelled, surely that means there was no contract in place and I am entitled to withdraw my offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Idea: could you refuse the package and return to sender??

The main problem with refusing the parcel is that Wiggle will probably subtract the cost of the return carriage from the refund.
    Op, have you priced Parcel Motel for return from a PM locker to a UK address ?
    Also there are a couple of websites where you can do a price comparison for sending items to the UK by Courier. AFAIK it usually works out far cheaper than An Post. I think GLS were usually the cheapest.
    Probably work out cheaper than whatever admin fee Wiggle may charge you.

edit; hang on a second. You only have to get it to GLS's Dublin Base......
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/returnsprocedure
    scroll down to the 'Ireland' section.

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The main problem with refusing the parcel is that Wiggle will probably subtract the cost of the return carriage from the refund.
    Op, have you priced Parcel Motel for return from a PM locker to a UK address ?
    Also there are a couple of websites where you can do a price comparison for sending items to the UK by Courier. AFAIK it usually works out far cheaper than An Post. I think GLS were usually the cheapest.
    Probably work out cheaper than whatever admin fee Wiggle may charge you.

edit; hang on a second. You only have to get it to GLS's Dublin Base......
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/returnsprocedure
    scroll down to the 'Ireland' section.

They still charge to get it to the UK after that. It's not worth it if there's any additional charges. The only reason I'm interested in the better set of lights is because there is only a fiver in the difference.

Fair enough, although if you can get somebody to drop the original parcel into GLS it's only going to cost you €3.29 to return the lights.
    And you have a full year to do this. Why not just purchase the ones you prefer and then wait until somebody is heading up/down to Dublin to return the 1st set to the GLS depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They still charge to get it to the UK after that. It's not worth it if there's any additional charges. The only reason I'm interested in the better set of lights is because there is only a fiver in the difference.

they charge €3.29 for returns once returned to that Irish address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It wasn't up to the moment it dispatches. I ordered it about 1.30 AM and tried to cancel it at 12.30PM yesterday. The order still hasn't dispatched. They would happily cancel this order without even asking me if it was a misprice.

So what you're saying is you had buckets of time to cancel it,

When exactly do you want them to start processing an order and loading it into cages so it can be picked up by the carrier?

They have to start processing it at some stage and at some stage the order will reach the point of no return, thats not unreasonable. It has to physically happen.

In relation to the miss price, I think you'll find the Terms & Conditions cover them for that...those same Terms & Conditions you willingly agree to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Deub

You seem to believe that they can cancel all orders in case of misprice but I would be suprised if it is the reality. I am sure that orders that are too far in the dispatching process are not cancelled. Yes most of it are usually cancelled but some orders are going through.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you place an order, you are just proposing a contract to the seller. They can refuse it (as you said for misprice) but you cannot change your mind after you have validated your order. You can of course return your order but it is not a cancellation. However most sellers accept cancellation if they haven't started to prepare the package.
    You seem to think that as long as you don't have the shipping confirmation, you can cancel but it is not the way it works.

Advertisement