Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a PhD in History (foreign student)

• 12-10-2016 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    I recently got my Master Degree in History (research degree in 2 years, with two full thesis written) from a French university and I'd like to start a PhD in Ireland next year. I'm not really familiar with the University system in Ireland, and the websites are not very clear (or not specific enough). I was wondering if someone here could help me, as I have a few questions.
    I understood that the first thing to do in such a case is to contact a potential supervisor, whose research interests correspond to our owns. But I was wondering, what are we supposed to send them ? Would a short paragraph about what was my Master thesis about be enough, or should I add a summary of the thesis with my sources, methods, etc. ? (As I'd like to keep on working in that field of studies) About the choice of the subject, I was wondering if I could choose my own research subject (and thus giving a few lines in the e-mail I'd send to the potential supervisor about the subject I thought about) or are they all given by supervisors ?
    After finding a supervisor, how does the administrative process work, and how long does it take ? (As I'd like to start next September, and moving to Ireland will take quite some preparation, so I'd like to know around which month I'll have it secured) Also, is the process really selective, or once we have the teacher and the right diplomas it should be alright ?
    About scolarships and fundings, are they really hard to get ? I noticed a few on the different universities' websites, but is there more to it ?
    Also, more general question : is it possible to do all that application process without having to go to Ireland on a regular basis, or would I need to go there from time to time for interviews with the University or the supervisor ?
    I'd be really greateful if someone here has an answer to my questions, or more general advices on this process or doing a PhD in History in Ireland.

I apologize if I made grammar or spelling mistakes.
    Thank you in advance for your help !

Advertisement