Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One TV connection Problem

Options
  • 12-10-2016 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

When I plug in my Xbox one, the 'X' button on the console lights up as it should, but it doesn't 'connect' (for want of a better word) with the tv. I have tested the HDMI cable on another device and it seems to be O.K. Also, when I try to switch off the Xbox by pressing the 'X' button on the console, nothing happens. Is this how it's meant to be?

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Up Donegal wrote: »
    When I plug in my Xbox one, the 'X' button on the console lights up as it should, but it doesn't 'connect' (for want of a better word) with the tv. I have tested the HDMI cable on another device and it seems to be O.K. Also, when I try to switch off the Xbox by pressing the 'X' button on the console, nothing happens. Is this how it's meant to be?

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?
    Thanks in Advance.

If it's not responding when you press the X, then it sounds like it might need to be repaired/replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Is it plugged into the hdmi out on the Xbox ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

deco nate wrote: »
    Is it plugged into the hdmi out on the Xbox ?
    Yes, it is.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If it's not responding when you press the X, then it sounds like it might need to be repaired/replaced.
    I can turn it on by pressing the X button but it won't turn off. I have to turn it off by switching it off at the wall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I can turn it on by pressing the X button but it won't turn off. I have to turn it off by switching it off at the wall.

I'm assuming that it's an original Xbox One, and not the newer Xbox One S.

What colour is the light on the power supply?

Also, do you have it plugged into an adapter, or into the wall socket? Plug it into the wall socket, as, amazingly, it actually makes a difference.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm assuming that it's an original Xbox One, and not the newer Xbox One S.

What colour is the light on the power supply?

Also, do you have it plugged into an adapter, or into the wall socket? Plug it into the wall socket, as, amazingly, it actually makes a difference.
    It's an original Xbox 1 which was bought about 2 years ago. The X light on the console is white and it is plugged directly into the wall socket. When I try to get it onto the television screen, the message 'The source is not connected. Please check the connection again' appears on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Do you definitely have it on the right source, like have you gone to HDMI through the source button on your remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's an original Xbox 1 which was bought about 2 years ago. The X light on the console is white and it is plugged directly into the wall socket. When I try to get it onto the television screen, the message 'The source is not connected. Please check the connection again' appears on the screen.

Not the colour of the power button, what's the colour of the light strip on the power brick?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Not the colour of the power button, what's the colour of the light strip on the power brick?
    The light strip on the power brick is white also.

The light strip on the power brick is white also.

Have you tried hard resetting?

Hold the power button down for a few seconds.

If it still won't switch off there would be no harm trying a factory reset.

• Advertisement

Do you definitely have it on the right source, like have you gone to HDMI through the source button on your remote control.
    My tv is set up with the tv channels on hdmi1, and the xbox on hdmi 2. Before this problem occurred, all I had to do was scroll through the sources which were displayed somewhat dimly and when I selected the one I wanted ie, the xbox, the source (hdmi2) would light up and the xbox green home screen would be displayed. This is not happening now. What's happening now is that I can scroll to the hdmi2 source, but when I try to select it, nothing happens. Instead, a message appears on the screen telling me that source is not connected (or words to that effect). I wonder if the fault lies with the hdmi port on the xbox console?

My tv is set up with the tv channels on hdmi1, and the xbox on hdmi 2. Before this problem occurred, all I had to do was scroll through the sources which were displayed somewhat dimly and when I selected the one I wanted ie, the xbox, the source (hdmi2) would light up and the xbox green home screen would be displayed. This is not happening now. What's happening now is that I can scroll to the hdmi2 source, but when I try to select it, nothing happens. Instead, a message appears on the screen telling me that source is not connected (or words to that effect). I wonder if the fault lies with the hdmi port on the xbox console?

Can you plug something else into HDMI 2 and rule out that port on the TV causing problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Can you plug something else into HDMI 2 and rule out that port on the TV causing problems?

This, or test the Xbox on another Telly

I've done that and the hdmi port on the tv works ok on another device.

I've done that and the hdmi port on the tv works ok on another device.

I think the last thing to try is a factory reset.

Hopefully that works. If not you might have to bring it back to the shop you bought it or contact Microsoft support.

Advertisement