Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs and lifestyle in Letterkenny

Options
  • 12-10-2016 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, people. Im planning move to Letterkenny. I already lived in Cork, co.Galway... funny but I started from south Ireland and Im going to the north, who knows maybe I will end up on Iceland :D
    I have some questions...

1. Is it really possible to see Northern light from Letterkenny town
    2. Do you have snow in town in winter?
    3. Do you know some factory or shops/fast food that they are looking for staff for Christmas period?
    4. Do you have fish market in town, do you have street(food) market,any vegeterian shop or restaurant?
    5. Is there any travelers, <snip> in town? Wich area are not nice to live in.
    Is it town safety?

6. Any activite for young person who dont drink alcohol?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No5, slightly controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Welcome to the Donegal forum, however please note that using derogatory terms to describe any faction of the community is not permitted on Boards.

Thanks,
    CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irska

Sorry, I didnt know that this word is not allowed to use.
    I apologise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

irska wrote: »
    Hi, people. Im planning move to Letterkenny. I already lived in Cork, co.Galway... funny but I started from south Ireland and Im going to the north, who knows maybe I will end up on Iceland :D
    I have some questions...

1. Is it really possible to see Northern light from Letterkenny town
    2. Do you have snow in town in winter?
    3. Do you know some factory or shops/fast food that they are looking for staff for Christmas period?
    4. Do you have fish market in town, do you have street(food) market,any vegeterian shop or restaurant?
    Is it town safety?

Thank you :)

1. Not in Letterkenny but I've heard of a few rare times it can be seen from Fanad Head right on the northern tip of the country.

2. Our winters have been mild the past few years only a light dusting of snow here and there. The last major spell of snow we had was 2010/2011. Reports are for a cold November and mild December but no-one really knows.

3. You'd probably need to start handing out CV's soon to increase your chances. I'd imagine getting seasonal work would be possible.

4. Not sure about fish markets although being close to Killybegs (large fishing port) you will find fresh fish in local shops. Unsure again about specifically vegetarian restaurants but everywhere has vegetarian options on their menus.

5. Yeah same as everywhere really. Being from the town there's no-where I would say is super unsafe but at a stretch some areas of Meadowbank/long lane about it.

6. Depends what you're into really. We have some beautiful scenery and nature trails so if you enjoy the outdoors there's plenty to offer. There's plenty of sports clubs that cater to all levels,amateur dramatics, open mic nights if you're musical. Again all depends what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

On the northern lights.... Iv timelapses/pics of them from as far south as sliabh league/donegal town area. But you will have to get away from the lights of Lk to see them... And further north the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Northern lights in letterkenny very very rare. Do not move there under some romantic idea that you will see the northern lights. Cold and rain and wind all year around. Occasional snow. Not a pretty town really. Donegal county does have some beauty spots though.

Hi people. Thank you!!
    I have one more question.

Are people in Letterkenny speak between each other Irish language?

Also.. How people in general in co.Donegal have opinion about emigrants.
    I saw informations that lof of people from Donegal left their homes and moved abroad. Soo, are people who are living in co. Donegal have negative opinion about new people who are not Irish and who work for minimum wage, and "stole" jobs..

Dont get me wrong. I traveled around Ireland.
    And I wanna move to Letterkenny because I love small towns and wanna live near nature.
    But Im afraid if people are there because its isolated county.. Are little bit colder interaction between local people to the new people in town?
    Or I can expect welcoming like in other part of country?

I dont wanna sound like I sound now- but you understand what Im asking.

Wesser wrote: »
    Northern lights in letterkenny very very rare. Do not move there under some romantic idea that you will see the northern lights. Cold and rain and wind all year around. Occasional snow. Not a pretty town really. Donegal county does have some beauty spots though.

Harsh.....

......but fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically no.

Hi people. Thank you!!
    I have one more question.

I saw informations that lof of people from Donegal left their homes and moved abroad. Soo, are people who are living in co. Donegal have negative opinion about new people who are not Irish and who work for minimum wage, and "stole" jobs..

And I wanna move to Letterkenny because I love small towns and wanna live near nature.
    But Im afraid if people are there because its isolated county.. Are little bit colder interaction between local people to the new people in town?
    Or I can expect welcoming like in other part of country?

I dont wanna sound like I sound now- but you understand what Im asking.

Loads of foreigners working in Letterkenny, Eastern European, Filipino, Brazilian etc etc. Nobody cares where you're from to be honest and nobody cares you work minimum wage. English language for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

While i like to think we are a bit friendlier, but it wont be a massive improvement on any other part of ireland. In general its fine. Unfortunately you will find a few "they took our jobs" idiots where ever you go. The irony is always lost on them that without fail at least one of their own family members will be working abroad somewhere. No point in giving close minded people like that the time of day.

Donegal though is fantastic for nature. Glenveagh National Park isnt far from LK, Mount Errigal close to it also which has fantastic views on a clear day. Tbh you could point your finger at any corner of Donegal and you can probably find a days worth of adventures in it... with far less tourists than the likes of Kerry/Galway. There is a few threads in Donegal of outdoorsie things to do.

On language LK is well outsides the Gaeltachts, even there, start a conversation in English, the other person will continue in it. A few but not many would be Irish only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Is it town safety?

5. There's a few areas to avoid, but not as bad as it used to be.

Glenwood Park, anywhere below about number 70, should be avoided.

Meadowbank / Long Lane.

Ballymacool Woods, particularly "The Green" area. The further up the hill, the worse it gets.

The pink buildings at the bottom of the town, Larkins Lane, has had a number of "interesting" news reports over the years.

6. There's a cinema, snooker club, bowling, lazer quest, the typical things, but unless you're particularly into them, there's not a lot to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Ah it's possible to see the Northern Lights in the town, we definitely did one night about 10-15 years ago. Incredibly rare though, yeah

Thank you people!!!

@Flibbles can you describe that "interesting" reports?

Wich nice places also you guys recommend around co.Donegal and co.Mayo?

Now Im sending job application to everywhere, including small villages xD
    Also my plan about Letterkenny.
    I collected around 70email addresses of Letterkenny and Donegal shops/fast food.
    Soo I will sent to all emails my CV, I put in CV - Letterkenny address.
    And planning do "2days trip" to Letterkenny to see how the town looks like and to give around CV.
    Soo hopefully something will show up.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

<mod snip>

Regardless of its content, which btw is completely off topic, we don't need to have a 4 year old news story posted in a current thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

Joshua J wrote:
    Loads of foreigners working in Letterkenny, Eastern European, Filipino, Brazilian etc etc. Nobody cares where you're from to be honest and nobody cares you work minimum wage. English language for the most part.

Don't forget the large African and Indian communities here also. Plus some Chinese and other Asian inhabitants.

There are probably some racist incidents but nothing major (involving violence etc) that I'm aware of. No gangs etc.

It's a very multicultural town with various religions and cultures doing their own thing alongside the 'natives' like they should be.

Advertisement