Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outspoken male "feminists" are hypocrites

Options
  • 12-10-2016 9:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've seen a pattern emerging this year where popular male feminists have been outed as sexual predators.
    First Matt Hickey was found to be catfishing women into his apartment and tricking them into having sex with him. Now Devin Faraci has been accused of fingering a woman against her will.
    Devin Faraci was a real piece of work, he was the main one causing a **** storm over the new Ghostbusters remake, accusing anyone of not liking it as being sexist and mysoginistic.

Personally I really don't trust anyone who calls themselves a male feminist, they have some agenda going or they are trying to cover up some shady ****. They use feminism as a way to belittle and bully people online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I dunno about predators but every self declared male feminist I've met has been strange.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You want patterens I've noticed that Sexual Predators masquerade as whatever will get them closer to their intended targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So you've cited two examples of this......one in seattle, one in Hollywood.

There are 8 billion people in the world, circa 3 billion adult men.

This is a pattern?

Bebopclown wrote: »
    Devin Faraci has been accused of fingering a woman...

Woah woah woah there.

That's the news, right there.

When did that make a come back? I thought it went out of fashion around the time of grunge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

OMG! Not Matt Hickey and Devin Faraci!!! :eek: I mean those guys are like… em… eh… who are they?

Also, is two a pattern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Hey OP, can you change the thread title to Two Outspoken Male Femenists are Hypocrites
    Otherwise it looks like you're making a lazy generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hey OP, can you change the thread title to Two Outspoken Male Femenists living in a different continent across an ocean 9000km away are Hypocrites
    Otherwise it looks like you're making a lazy generalisation.

Added in some extra detail there.

Hey OP, can you change the thread title to Two Outspoken Male Feminists, that no one (outside of a couple of people surgically glued to Twitter) have heard of, living in a different continent across an ocean 9000km away are Hypocrites
    Otherwise it looks like you're making a lazy generalisation..

Added more detail.

Gee, the more I look at it, the more frightening it becomes.

Do you know what the funniest thing about googling 'Male Feminists' is? Seeing how much they are hated by feminists…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Male Femanist ?

Isnt that an oxymoron?

There are people who see other people as equal and there are sexists.

Femanism is just another form of sexism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I dunno about predators but every self declared male feminist I've met has been strange.

That's not surprising, considering how you feel about feminism.

I mentioned that I'm make and feminist on a thread before. You made some pretty wide reaching decisions about me based on that information alone.

One poster told me I'm only doing it (treating people fairly) in a pathetic attempt to get women to have sex with me. I mentioned that I'm in a relationship so they said I must be with a dominant woman and I'm puzzywhipped. Then someone asked if I'm gay.

So if you're using me as one of the male feminists whose only a feminist so I can sleep with women, while in a relationship with a dominsnt abusive bint, and gay. I must be a strange character. None of it's true of course, but that hardly matters

It's a movie from the 1980s starring Arnold Swartezenager

Hahaha…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's a movie from the 1980s starring Arnold Swartezenager

Arnie fights off a troop of male feminists, whooping and hollering from the trees.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arnie fights off a troop of male feminists, whooping and hollering from the trees.

"I ain't got time to bleed but I respect those who must do it once a month"

Such a quotable film.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Such a quotable film.

"There's something out there waiting for us and it ain't no man"

What a film.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Such a quotable film.

'You're one... *ugly* motherfúcker! But we are still all beautiful in our own ways and none of us should ever be body shamed or ridiculed for our appearance!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

That's not surprising, considering how you feel about feminism.

I mentioned that I'm make and feminist on a thread before. You made some pretty wide reaching decisions about me based on that information alone.

One poster told me I'm only doing it (treating people fairly) in a pathetic attempt to get women to have sex with me. I mentioned that I'm in a relationship so they said I must be with a dominant woman and I'm puzzywhipped. Then someone asked if I'm gay.

So if you're using me as one of the male feminists whose only a feminist so I can sleep with women, while in a relationship with a dominsnt abusive bint, and gay. I must be a strange character. None of it's true of course, but that hardly matters

I did sense something a touch strange about you myself tbh...

Now I know you identify as a male feminazi... I can now put you neatly in that box, alongside all the other oddballs. :P

Modern feminism is essentially just an excuse to be hostile towards males... So for a man to identify himself as such, it's indicative of a hatred of his own kind... Or deep routed confusion! (Prob both tbf) :D

Modern feminism is essentially just an excuse to be hostile towards males... So for a man to identify himself as such, it's indicative of a hatred of his own kind... Or deep routed confusion! (Prob both tbf)

I don't come across any of that unless I look for it on the internet. Is it something you come across in your actual life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The OP needs time in a safe space to consider his toxic masculinity. His generalisation has triggered me.

Hard to tell what this thread is about other than someone finding hypocrites in our species (shock horror) and then making the hyperbolic jump from "These three people were hypocrites" to "Those who claim to share the same ideals these hypocrites claimed to have must therefore also be too".

Personally I avoid the term "feminism" like a plague. I simply have no idea what it even means any more. I am someone who treats people as individuals not as categories - and I am someone who works against different groups being treated differently for no other reason than some arbitrary attribute like skin pigmentation - sexuality or - yes gender.

If that makes me a "feminist" so be it - no issue with that. Probably won't be rushing to self apply the label any time soon either way. Certainly not if it forces people - with a hot nerve that goes off at the word - to assume I am gay, a sexual predator, or whatever the hell "pussywhipped" is meant to even mean. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I don't come across any of that unless I look for it on the internet. Is it something you come across in your actual life?

I have done, yes. I've seen it occasionally in a workplace environment.

Some men in positions of power, will display a strong dislike/distrust of other men... But will view women as not being a threat.

I believe a lot of it stems from this kind of mentality... It's more a hatred of other men, rather than liking or respecting women!

I've never met a male feminist that was capable of treating both men and women equally and fairly. (Although, in their own heads I'm quite sure they didn't see themselves that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I don't really like the word feminism. To strive for equality it must be made with input from all people.
    If a sign for a feminist meeting is put up guaranteed that 99% will be women. We are moving into a new age of gender equality. I think we need some new terminology.
    Ps: I do not have a problem with feminists per se just I think the word is a bit outdated in my opinion. I would consider myself someone in favour of gender equality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

A feminist is someone who believes in equal rights for, and a lack of discrimination against, women.
    It just seems reasonable for most normal people to be feminists.

However, two of them are somewhat hypocritical, so I guess that's it for feminism. It had its day, and made some useful changes, but it clearly can't carry on after this.

What would Emmeline Pankhurst do after finding out that Devan Faraci fingered a woman? I think she'd want to see feminism ended once and for all, out of sheer embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

A feminist is someone who believes in equal rights for, and a lack of discrimination against, women.
    It just seems reasonable for most normal people to be feminists.

However, two of them are somewhat hypocritical, so I guess that's it for feminism. It had its day, and made some useful changes, but it clearly can't carry on after this.

What would Emmeline Pankhurst do after finding out that Devan Faraci fingered a woman? I think she'd want to see feminism ended once and for all, out of sheer embarrassment.

So you sit outside a court and protest at women getting very lenient jail terms solely because they are women.

Or let me guess... you cherry pick the " equal rights".

You might think that feminism does not serve equal rights any more. You are correct. However, if you look at the goals of certain feminists, you will see that they have every intention of carrying on.

Look at this article about US Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg:
    So now the perception is, yes, women are here to stay. And when I'm sometimes asked when will there be enough [women on the supreme court]? And I say when there are nine, people are shocked. But there'd been nine men, and nobody's ever raised a question about that.

She would like to see an all-woman United States Supreme Court.

She says there have been nine men in the US Supreme Court, previously. She is correct about that. However, she not looking for equality now. She is looking for something else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I avoid the term "feminism" like a plague. I simply have no idea what it even means any more. I am someone who treats people as individuals not as categories
    Exactly.
    If that makes me a "feminist" so be it - no issue with that. Probably won't be rushing to self apply the label any time soon either way.
    I long disassociated myself from the label as for me it's gone full retard on a few levels. One of my main issues would be that the archetypal "woman" that modern feminism describes is a weak willed emotionally driven easily "triggered" perpetual potential victim girl woman forever stunted in teenaged angst. An archetype a society should be protecting for their own sake rather than giving them more responsibilities. These are not the vast majority of women I've known(or would deliberately associate with). The joke is this delicate flower "woman" is also an archetype of old stylee victorian chauvinism. The irony seems lost on the vocal feminists.

There's far too much polarisation now anyway. The mannists or whatever the hell they're calling themselves can be as bad. They certainly have appropriated the daft feminist tactic of ever decreasing daftness of jargon and sub groups. Though they were an (over)reaction to an existing toxic mindset and worldview of perpetual victimhood, we want all rights, but feck all responsibilities of modern feminism. Especially as it was and is impacting real world politics and policies.

Now if someone of college age plugs into either of these polarities I generally think play ball. Part of such an age is to be extreme and heartfelt while you tease out the grey areas of the world, but if you're much beyond 30 and still thinking like that, you need your head read IMH.

As for men saying they're feminists; I have generally found they're usually sound lads, but under informed about the main tenets of the modern politic and naively reckon "sure it's all about equality isn't it?". Hell most women I've known that use the label do so in an equally generalist and a la carte fashion. The sad sacks of men using the label hoping for the ride are generally the minority IME.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

However, she not looking for equality now. She is looking for unfair advantage.

Out of interest, what is the unfair advantage that you think she is looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

You might think that feminism does not serve equal rights any more. You are correct. However, if you look at the goals of certain feminists, you will see that they have every intention of carrying on.

Look at this article about US Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsberg:

She would like to see an all-woman United States Supreme Court.

She says there have been nine men in the US Supreme Court, previously. She is correct about that. However, she not looking for equality now. She is looking for something else.

Well i suppose if its OK for her to want an all woman supreme court then its equally fine to want an all male supreme court. I'd hope she wouldn't complain if one of her male colleagues came out and said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's a similar pattern to child-groomers. They tell their victims that they are different to all of the rest, that they understand you and your feelings, and they all have the ultimate intention of having sex with the person they are telling these things to. Even if it is subconscious, it has the same intent.

Another type to look out for are those men that need to advertise that they think it is wrong to hit a women. For normal people we dont need to advertise it, it is the done thing. For these folk, they have so much pent up aggression against women (both physically and emotionally) that they think it is an achievement not to hit women. And again, ultimately it is to enhance a womens view of them with the goal of having sex.

You wont see a male feminist in an all male environment.

• Advertisement

I have done, yes. I've seen it occasionally in a workplace environment.

Some men in positions of power, will display a strong dislike/distrust of other men... But will view women as not being a threat.

Are those men you're referring to, male feminists? We're they feminists to begin with or does this behaviour make them a feminist?
    I believe a lot of it stems from this kind of mentality... It's more a hatred of other men, rather than liking or respecting women!

Is any man who is unkind to other man a feminist? Either I missed the point of your anecdote or you're working from your own definition of 'feminist'.

Advertisement