Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Killaloe

• 12-10-2016 9:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Thinking of moving to Killaloe with my girlfriend and just have a few questions. We'll be working in Raheen and Annacotty respectively so will have to cross the bridge every morning and evening for work.

I haven't been up that way at rush hour in a long time (since before the lights were installed), so could anyone give me an idea of the delays every morning at the bridge? We'd be coming from the Twomilegate direction. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hi.
    The traffic on the bridge isn't too bad really,though it slows down a bit around 9am when the schools are starting and again at 3.30 or so when the secondary school finishes.

Hi.
    The traffic on the bridge isn't too bad really,though it slows down a bit around 9am when the schools are starting and again at 3.30 or so when the secondary school finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Hi.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So would 5 or 10 minutes be the max so do you think? We're just worried about having to put aside half an hour for each xommute to sit in traffic at the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Chavways wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So would 5 or 10 minutes be the max so do you think? We're just worried about having to put aside half an hour for each xommute to sit in traffic at the bridge.

I commute to Raheen from the same direction. Usually when I'm leaving around 9AM, I almost never wait more than one light cycle on Canal Bank, unless I get stuck behind someone who's really slow to take off and doesn't trip the sensor in time or the light is short-cycling for some reason, so it's usually just two or three minutes of waiting at most.

Coming back in the evening, I hit town around 5:30PM, give or take, and it can vary significantly then. Some days I'll get all the way to the Ballina roundabout or even around the corner without stopping, other days it backs up a bit into town. Sometimes it can be backed up past Gooser's, though, but even then it's usually 5-10 minutes of waiting at most. If it's a sunny Friday afternoon in the summer, you can expect a little more delay, as it gets a bit more crowded with the tourists and weekenders.

No idea how bad the Newport Roundabout is at rush hour, but the trip to and from Raheen has always been smooth sailing, assuming you're taking the M20 to the business park exit. Takes me exactly 28 minutes every time (plus the time at the bridge) to get to/from my place near Stritch's to/from my office in Raheen. I've literally never seen anything I'd call traffic at all on my commute (though being from Atlanta, my judgement in that respect is probably a bit skewed... :pac: ).

Even when the traffic is fairly heavy,it would be unusual to be waiting as long as 10 minutes to get past the lights.
    Coming from two mile gate you won't be passing the Ballina school,where there's often a bit of a hold up in the mornings.I'm not sure what the traffic is like for coming back in the evening,but you certainly won't be queuing for half an hour to cross the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Hi - As the other posters said - No problems at all on the Killaloe side in the morning. I can't remember the last time I had to wait for a 2nd change of the lights to get through.

Raheen is no problem as you have Motorway the whole way in. Annacotty - You might get caught a bit at Finnegans Roundabout depending on the time you hit it. But even then, it should only be 10-15mins max on a very bad day.

Coming home, you can get caught in Ballina a bit. 5 or 10 minutes. If it is a fine Summers evening, it might be a bit longer but still, its never terrible. The Annacotty worker can avoid Ballina in the evening by taking the old N7 home and turning off at Dalys Cross to come home via O Briens Bridge. (I suppose, the Raheen person could do it too, coming off the M7 at Castletroy and joing the N7). It is a few minutes longer of a drive but you have no potential spots to get caught. I'd end up going that way maybe once a fortnight, if I have something I need to get home for and I can't risk getting caught in Ballina. Most ot the time though, I just wouldn't bother.

@*& in his Speed van between Ballina & Birdhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

BnB wrote: »
    @*& in his Speed van between Ballina & Birdhill.

Heh, seen him a couple times in recent weeks. Also a Garda van was parked up by Larkin's the other day, not sure if he was running radar or not.

I'm surprised they don't park on the stretch between Birdhill and the motorway; a lot more folks speed down that road, for sure. I get Audis pulling dodgy passes on me all the time when I'm keeping to the limit.

Advertisement