Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House survey

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    We're in the process of buying a house that's not yet been built. The solicitor advised us to have a survey done intermittently at various stages of construction. We're getting quotes of 3,5 - 5k to do that.
    Is that really necessary?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,
    We're in the process of buying a house that's not yet been built. The solicitor advised us to have a survey done intermittently at various stages of construction. We're getting quotes of 3,5 - 5k to do that.
    Is that really necessary?

You will not be allowed inspect the property during its construction. Assuming you are buying in an estate and from a developer?

He will have his own inspections by his assigned Certifier and certification by same through the building control system (BCAR).
    You should of course snag it on completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 schinkowski

Thanks for your reply. Yes buying in an estate from a developer.

Thanks for your reply. Yes buying in an estate from a developer.

Then he looks after the intermediate insp cations through the assigned Certifier (architect, engineer or building surveyor).

You will get a chance to snag on completion.

Where is the estate located?

Thank you.
    It's in Parkside, I was talking to you about it in another thread before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Might be a one off by a small builder? Your solicitor is correct insofar as defective work can be covered up afterwards as the building is finished. Depending on the reputation, quality and honesty of your builder - you could investigate further. If they have a solid reputation for good work and you discuss your concerns with them, that may suffice. Where doubts exist, perhaps be more careful.

I've looked at domestic houses at various stages of construction and you'd see everything from excellent trades work to shoddy and even dangerous work, with all stages in between.

Ah - cross post.

• Advertisement

It's cairns homes, which are fairly big and seem to have a good reputation.

Might be a one off by a small builder? Your solicitor is correct insofar as defective work can be covered up afterwards as the building is finished. Depending on the reputation, quality and honesty of your builder - you could investigate further. If they have a solid reputation for good work and you discuss your concerns with them, that may suffice. Where doubts exist, perhaps be more careful.

I've looked at domestic houses at various stages of construction and you'd see everything from excellent trades work to shoddy and even dangerous work, with all stages in between.

Ah - cross post.

It's cairns homes, probably one of the biggest home builders in the country. I was on their site last week and the works look to be of good standard. I also know the Building Control Officier that's on the saint and he is quite happy with the works so far.

Advertisement