Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Weepsie wrote: »
    Could be other times of year and not in a pandemic that roasting and shipping is a bit quicker.

I doubt it.

I wouldn't say they roast to order, just in batches so you could be lucky and get the first few bags from a new batch delivered, or be unlucky and get the last bags before a new batch is opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

alec76 wrote: »

Hi, any idea if blue star are ok to deal with? They have a good price on a grinder I have my eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

No idea ,sorry
    It says based in Galway, I don’t like EU domain though.
    Any Irish registered company suppose to be with in Irish domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

bricky06 wrote: »
    Hi, any idea if blue star are ok to deal with? They have a good price on a grinder I have my eye on.

Dealt with many times in last year. Quick delivery, well packaged and good quality products, comes recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've ordered a heap of stuff from blue star over the years, never had any issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Great, thanks

Yea they are legit

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I ordered two 1kg bags from Velo on sunday that just arrived today (to take advantage of free delivery over 35euro and cheap costs).

I am wondering about the roasting day.
    It says end of life 12th march 2022, and 6th march 2022.
    So I presume roasted, in december/january?

edit, i got an email response from velo.
    yeah, roasted in the new year, happy with the response

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Ordered from Bell Lane Tuesday, arrived today in a taxi!!! :D

House blend roast date 5/1/21
    Copey blend 250g bag roast date 11/1/21

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Haven wrote: »
    I ordered two 1kg bags from Velo on sunday that just arrived today (to take advantage of free delivery over 35euro and cheap costs).

I am wondering about the roasting day.
    It says end of life 12th march 2022, and 6th march 2022.
    So I presume roasted, in december/january?

edit, i got an email response from velo.
    yeah, roasted in the new year, happy with the response

Is there a COD under the BB date with something like 31020 after it? If so, i believe that is the production date - 3-10-20 in my case.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is there a COD under the BB date with something like 31020 after it? If so, i believe that is the production date - 3-10-20 in my case.

Ordered 10th, dispatched 11th, arrived 14th, happy with that in the covid environment.
    I have COD: 01221B and 00621B for my two Velo bags. Unsure what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

The Haven wrote: »
    Ordered 10th, dispatched 11th, arrived 14th, happy with that in the covid environment.
    I have COD: 01221B and 00621B for my two Velo bags. Unsure what they mean.

Not putting a roast date on premium beans these days is a bit ridiculous imo

okedoke wrote: »

yep, it's very bad form

okedoke wrote: »

Aye, I agree.
    Roasting date is better then end of life etc.
    The fresher the beans, the better they taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Bell Lane - roast date only few days pre - fast delivery - 20% off blends with TAKE20 code

Ponaire - roast month only - delivery was 4-5 days - no deals at the moment

That's was my last 2 orders.

Trying to figure a cost effective way of getting RAVE again. 18 pound delivery is too much, not sure of the best way with parcel motel gone.
    Address pal has some 40k parcels stuck at depots so that would be a waste of time

Trying to figure a cost effective way of getting RAVE again. 18 pound delivery is too much, not sure of the best way with parcel motel gone.
    Address pal has some 40k parcels stuck at depots so that would be a waste of time

I just received a 3 kg order from a roaster in Germany and they have a €5 flat fee for international shipping, which is very nice.

Anyone looking for a strong coffee to try next could do worse than Velo's Ratnaguri estate Indian.

2 Kg of that order is essentially the same coffee, under the name 'Pearl Mountain, Ratnaguri' and it's absolutely delicious.

I just received a 3 kg order from a roaster in Germany and they have a €5 flat fee for international shipping, which is very nice.

Anyone looking for a strong coffee to try next could do worse than Velo's Ratnaguri estate Indian.

2 Kg of that order is essentially the same coffee, under the name 'Cloud Mountain, Ratnaguri' and it's absolutely delicious.

What's the coffee prices like though.

RAVE Italian was 17 a kilo.

Wouldn't really go outside ie suppliers unless the deal justified it.

What's the coffee prices like though.

RAVE Italian was 17 a kilo.

Wouldn't really go outside ie suppliers unless the deal justified it.

Seems to be from about €23 per Kg for their espresso, but if you get several Kg with that €5 fixed charge, the landed cost could be lower.

Best to stick to local if that's important, but it was a cheaper option for me to get what I wanted.

https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop?page=3

Seems to be from about €23 per Kg for their espresso, but if you get several Kg with that €5 fixed charge, the landed cost could be lower.

Best to stick to local if that's important, but it was a cheaper option for me to get what I wanted.

https://www.kaffeerösterei-hochschwarzwald.de/shop?page=3

Thanks for the advice.

I don't usually ever bulk buy, juts 1kg at a time for me.

Will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks for the advice.

I don't usually ever bulk buy, juts 1kg at a time for me.

Will take a look.

Velo have 1kg of the Ratnagiri for 34.50 with free delivery over 35 (so throw in some filters)
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

• Advertisement

Velo have 1kg of the Ratnagiri for 34.50 with free delivery over 35 (so throw in some filters)
    https://velocoffee.ie/collections/kg-bags/products/copy-of-india-ratnagiri-estate-225g

Velo are lovely group to deal with got. My chemex from them and they could not have been better.

Definitley recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Cloudpicker have some decent stuff in their bargain beans. I got two bags of beans roasted on the 9th December for 20 quid. Handy as my other half is getting into brewing too so we're going through more beans. 6-7 week old quality beans are still good.

Finished off my BOGOF coffee angel beans and the Rioki AA was still good six weeks post roast and three weeks after opening them. I'm gonna pick up some bargains like this more often.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Cloudpicker have some decent stuff in their bargain beans. I got two bags of beans roasted on the 9th December for 20 quid. Handy as my other half is getting into brewing too so we're going through more beans. 6-7 week old quality beans are still good.

Finished off my BOGOF coffee angel beans and the Rioki AA was still good six weeks post roast and three weeks after opening them. I'm gonna pick up some bargains like this more often.

Notice some beans last well and others deteriorate like mad.

Would love to know if there is some science/reason behind it.

Notice some beans last well and others deteriorate like mad.

Would love to know if there is some science/reason behind it.

Yeah maybe it's the processing method or certain varietals. I think vibrant African washed coffee tends to keep better than others.

Bigbooty wrote: »

Thanks - had a look here and only 20% off which was a bit disappointing. At half price I'd be all over it :D:D

Thanks - had a look here and only 20% off which was a bit disappointing. At half price I'd be all over it :D:D

I know, it's not a lot really. You'd think they'd go more but as long as the coffee is good I'm happy to save a bit. It's near me so I can just collect it to so no delivery charge.

just bought this

https://moyeecoffee.ie/products/moyee-coffee-taster-pack

4 x 250g of different coffees delivered for 30 quid, worth a punt imo

also, it's Fairchain. if I like them I might go for a sub, seems to be all or mostly African coffees.

To circle back to these coffees.

After I ordered them I contacted the company about roast dates etc.

They are batch roasted and then packaged with a nitrogen flush into the packs. I was also told that the Dark Roast is roasted longer, but at lower temps that what would usually be used in other roasteries. (14 mins v 7mins). I had noticed that the Dark Roast was less bitter and acrid than I'd expected it to be, from previous experience with other dark roasted coffee.

Anyway, some reviews

All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press.

Dark Roast

I enjoyed this a lot, it's lovely, loads of dark chocolate and a tiny hint of brown sugar sweetness. I never go for dark roast coffee, but if I can find another one that's produced the same way this is (low and slow) then I'd be interested in trying more.

Triple Blend

Same blend that is used for the Dark Roast. It has Rwanda & Uganda beans in it. It's only ok, and was the weakest of the 4 for me - I didn't get any of the big "Africa" flavours from this one, but it was a nice coffee all the same.

Double Blend

2 Ethiopian coffees

I really, really like this one. Lovely creamy coffee, chocolatey but there is a lovely juicy hit just at the end, bringing you back in for more. I'll probably buy another bag or two of this over the next few months. It's not dissimilar to the Fairy Floss from B&D. Definitely my favourite of the 4.

Single Origin

I'm not sure which (or either) of the coffees from the double blend this one is, but it's chocolatey and silky, and doesn't have that juicy finish the double blend has. I enjoy it in rotation with the Double Blend, and would reach for it when I need a nice coffee in front of the fire or something like that.

18% off the new Rwandan at WCC until midnight
    18% discount, until midnight
    Code: WCC18

Seems wrong not to at that price, right?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

"All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press"

I have an aeropress but dont use it much yet.. could you expand on the 15/250 ratio etc.. 45s bloom ?

thanks

• Advertisement

"All coffee was brewed in an Aeropress, with 15/250 ratio, 45s bloom and 2.45 steep, with a 45s press"

I have an aeropress but dont use it much yet.. could you expand on the 15/250 ratio etc.. 45s bloom ?

thanks

Yep.

So, for any coffee I get, I always do a couple of brews like this, then tweak as I think is needed
    • Inverted Method
    • 15g of coffee, ground medium fine (finer than French Press)
    • Add water in a ratio of 2:1 (so for 15g, I'll add 30ml)
    • Stir vigoursly for a few seconds
    • let sit for a total of 45 seconds
    • Add the rest of the water up to 250ml
    • Put on filter and cap
    • Allow to steep for a further 2:45
    • Press slowly, 30-45 seconds

The main tweaks I make will be to grind size and dosage

15g in 250ml is 60g per litre, some coffees will need 65-70g per litre so I'll decide what I need to do.

Advertisement