Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

In general, though, if you like the coffee is there any negative in terms of freshness in getting the 1KG over smaller bags? Does anybody have very good storage container recommendations for these 1kg bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Silverskin are doing a bundle deal from tomorrow.

Our filter bundle is a go!! Delicious coffee ✅ hand grinder ✅ scale ✅ v60 (w/papers) ✅ a chance to win 6 months free subscription ✅ brewing guide ✅ all in a beautifully presented box just in time for Christmas sure go waaan. ✅ €100 bundle available online from Tomorrow ✌🏻

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

In general, though, if you like the coffee is there any negative in terms of freshness in getting the 1KG over smaller bags? Does anybody have very good storage container recommendations for these 1kg bags?
    If you can vacuum seal and freeze beans, they'll stay fresh for a really, really long time with no adverse effect on taste. I'm hoping to get a vacuum sealer at some point soon as I don't run through coffee fast enough and hate when I can't pull a good shot.

There's a cool new Fellow product called Atmos which is basically a vacuum jar but it hasn't released here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Vooice

10% off at Bailies coffee with code WINTERBREWS.
    Valid until 07/01/19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

My thoughts are it should never have been £170 sterling!

I also wouldn’t pay £99 for it.

Imo if you are looking for a proper espresso machine at that price point I’d be looking for a 2nd hand Gaggia Classic on adverts.

Also what grinder will you be using because to get a fine enough grind you’ll want a grinder that has burrs and not an out blade spice mix grinder which a lot of new people to coffee set ups think will work. They don’t they chop the bean making it inconsistent and won’t grind fine enough.

A good rule of thumb for espresso is your grinder will cost around double the machine. Even with the best espresso machine in the world I’d the grind isn’t fine enough it won’t produce an espresso.

Tbh if budget is tight I’d buy an aeropress, a hand grinder and some quality beans. You’ll produce fantastic coffee for less than €100

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

15% off at Bailies with code blackfriday.

Makes their sub really great value

Need to get a sub or two for 2019. If anyone hears any going on sale let me know please. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Saw this in Lidl the other day:

Lidl-coffee.jpg

Think they were €3.99 per 250g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I have a red one of these for sale on adverts with a delonghi burr grinder fit for €120 but open to offers.

Was hardly used because I didn't have time in the morning to be grinding and brewing so I bought a bean to cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have a red one of these for sale on adverts with a delonghi burr grinder fit for €120 but open to offers.

Was hardly used because I didn't have time in the morning to be grinding and brewing so I bought a bean to cup.

Pm me a link and I'll have a gawk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

cnocbui wrote: »
    Saw this in Lidl the other day:

Lidl-coffee.jpg

Think they were €3.99 per 250g

My wife bought me that it's dreadful and not fresh.

I had to bin mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

G rock wrote: »

yep, 8 euro a month and one of them funky looking cups too, nice one for the heads up my 3fe sub just ran out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

15% off all Bell Lane coffee using the code BLACKFRIDAY18 until Dec 1st. I'd recommend the Breakfast Bar Filter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭caviardreams

infacteh wrote: »
    15% off all Bell Lane coffee using the code BLACKFRIDAY18 until Dec 1st. I'd recommend the Breakfast Bar Filter!

Has anyone tried the new black tie espresso? Sounds great, and am a big fan of their dragonfly.

They also have their elf espresso back for xmas :-)

G rock wrote: »

So I went with this offer.

I really enjoyed the sub I got here last year. I did find one bag was never enough as there’s myself and the wife drinkin it. So I went for two. Lol

One 12 month Microlot sub
    &
    One 12 month espresso sub

£158 sterling works out about €7 or so a bag delivered to my door.

£158 seems like a lot up front but when you break it down it’s great value.

You’d easily pay over a tenner for these beans if you walked into a shop and they’d be worth it at that price never mind €7.

Thanks for the heads up on this one G rock.

Has anyone tried the new black tie espresso? Sounds great, and am a big fan of their dragonfly.

They also have their elf espresso back for xmas :-)

I have blacktie, dragonfly, supernova, house blend, moondust in cart. Is there any there I should forget based on people’s experiences?

mad m wrote: »
    I have blacktie, dragonfly, supernova, house blend, moondust in cart. Is there any there I should forget based on people’s experiences?

Supernova was grand but nothing exceptional from what I remember so I never re-ordered, but taste is subjective so worth a try once I'd say anyway. Love their dragonfly, house blend and moondust (haven't tried black tie as it's quite new), the blue ocean didn't do much for me really, wasn't a fan.

Always find the roast dates very fresh and fast delivery and good value for money with the codes imo.

Bell Lane subscription offer
    Get 10% OFF 12 Month Subscription Coupon Code 👉 COFFEE6

Get 20% OFF 12 Month Subscription Coupon Code 👉 COFFEE12

Rave offer Monday 26th only
    Buy one get one 25% off (excludes subscriptions) No code required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bell Lane subscription offer
    Get 10% OFF 12 Month Subscription Coupon Code 👉 COFFEE6

Get 20% OFF 12 Month Subscription Coupon Code 👉 COFFEE12

Rave offer Monday 26th only
    Buy one get one 25% off (excludes subscriptions) No code required

Ordered Some bell lane. Have a few rave coffees and wasn't too impressed.
    The ones I tried from Adams +Russell were nice. Still a few to get through.:)

• Advertisement

Ordered Some bell lane. Have a few rave coffees and wasn't too impressed.
    The ones I tried from Adams +Russell were nice. Still a few to get through.:)

Any in particular you would recommend from A&R? I am a sucker for a Christmas blend, but there are 2 slots free :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hario V60 Stainless Steel Server for €38 from Abyss Coffee. Need to spend €50 for free delivery V60 02 filters are only €3.95

Considering getting the server. Can't find any mention of Abyss on the forum. Anyone ordered from them? Prices seem very good

Mostly use V60 2 to make a mug of coffee or at weekends I'll make double in a glass carafe. Wife likes her coffee hot so insulated server would be good. Probably handier for myself to rather than having to go make a second mug in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any in particular you would recommend from A&R? I am a sucker for a Christmas blend, but there are 2 slots free :-)

Blue Kenyan is really nice.

Ordered from Bell Lane Sunday and it arrived today. Roast date 26th Nov...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Any opinions on this espresso machine from Lidl? Worth the money?

Planemo wrote: »
    Any opinions on this espresso machine from Lidl? Worth the money?

It would be worth it at €45 or so it will probably be discounted to later when the are getting desperate to shift them. I had a machine of that calibre from Lidl and it did last a good 4 years so it was worth it from a monies worth perspective for €45. Much better to spend more on a good used machine something like this.

cnocbui wrote: »
    It would be worth it at €45 or so it will probably be discounted to later when the are getting desperate to shift them. I had a machine of that calibre from Lidl and it did last a good 4 years so it was worth it from a monies worth perspective for €45. Much better to spend more on a good used machine something like this.

If you want espresso do not touch that silvercrest yolk with a barge pole. It’s cheap for a reason. It’s ****.

If you must go the espresso route go with a second hand Gaggia classic on adverts. Just make sure you get the older model with the solenoid valve to regulate the heat for consistency etc..

And as always with people wanting to get into espresso., for the love of god buy a good burr grinder. It’ll be at least €150 for an entry level espresso capable grinder.

Otherwise go hand grinder and an aeropress.

These cheap espresso machines should be banned. All it’ll do is make you frustrated with trying to get an actual espresso out of it. Even with a fantastic grinder it’d be damn near impossible.

If you want espresso do not touch that silvercrest yolk with a barge pole. It’s cheap for a reason. It’s ****.

If you must go the espresso route go with a second hand Gaggia classic on adverts. Just make sure you get the older model with the solenoid valve to regulate the heat for consistency etc..

And as always with people wanting to get into espresso., for the love of god buy a good burr grinder. It’ll be at least €150 for an entry level espresso capable grinder.

Otherwise go hand grinder and an aeropress.

These cheap espresso machines should be banned. All it’ll do is make you frustrated with trying to get an actual espresso out of it. Even with a fantastic grinder it’d be damn near impossible.

Did I not suggest a better more expensive alternative?

You are an absolutist, as are many people - 'the counsel of perfection', as my father used to say. With many things in life there is a quality continuum from very bad to excellent. Often, there tends to be a price correlation, with the law of diminishing returns well and truly applying at the higher end.

There's instant coffee, stove top pressure pots, cheapies like the Lidl machine and more expensive one's like my €980 Quickmill Pegasso.

Italians are famous for their gastronomic culture, yet millions of them use stove top pots to make coffee - go figure. The Silvercrest with a good grinder can make perfectly drinkable coffee if you have a good grinder, which I happened to have as an attachment for my food processor. Yes, I get a consistently better result out of the Pegasso, but it cost more, is mechanically and electronically more sophisticated, so I would expect that. I'd rate the Silvercrest as better than a stove top pot or instant. That said, a €20 Wacaco Minipresso knock-off portable hand pumped espresso maker can deliver better results than the Silvercrest, but isn't going to last 4-5 years at 3 cups a day.

...You did. It felt like an afterthought to me tbh.

You are an absolutist,

...nope, just a realist.

Italians are famous for their gastronomic culture, yet millions of them use stove top pots to make coffee - go figure.

...a stovetop can make decent coffee but again would need a decent grinder, not necessarily a great grinder but a hand burr grinder at least.

The Silvercrest with a good grinder can make perfectly drinkable coffee if you have a good grinder, which I happened to have as an attachment for my food processor.

...eh is your food processor grinder a burr grinder. I highly doubt it. It’ll be a blade grinder that’ll chop the ****e out of the coffee in an inconstant and course manner. So you’ll have the perfect storm of ****e grinder and ****e machine. Good luck with that.

Yes, I get a consistently better result out of the Pegasso, but it cost more, is mechanically and electronically more sophisticated, so I would expect that.

...so you already own a higher quality machine? What grinder do you use? Hopefully not the food processor one.

I'd rate the Silvercrest as better than a stove top pot or instant.

...you have a very strange rating system.

• Advertisement

...You did. It felt like an afterthought to me tbh.

You are an absolutist,

...nope, just a realist.

...a stovetop can make decent coffee but again would need a decent grinder, not necessarily a great grinder but a hand burr grinder at least.

...eh is your food processor grinder a burr grinder. I highly doubt it. It’ll be a blade grinder that’ll chop the ****e out of the coffee in an inconstant and course manner. So you’ll have the perfect storm of ****e grinder and ****e machine. Good luck with that.

...so you already own a higher quality machine? What grinder do you use? Hopefully not the food processor one.

...you have a very strange rating system.

Stove top Moka pressure pots are not a good way to make coffee. In the final stages of the extraction the temperature exceeds the ideal range resulting in unpleasant tasting aromatic compounds being leached, spoiling the resulting taste:
    Unfortunately, the main factors controlling the coffee extraction in the moka , such as the thermodynamic relationship between water pressure and temperature, the Darcys law of linear filtration [9] as well as the physico-chemical nature of roasted and ground coffee, led to a beverage sometimes partially characterized by harsh bitter flavour often describe as ‘‘burnt”, and by lack of the foam layer typical of true Italian espresso coffee brew [8]
    Differently from espresso coffee machine, the thermal balance of moka is somewhat flimsy, being affected by several variables not easy to control [8]
    When water level reaches the end of the funnel, the short-cut between external ambient and air–vapour mixture, which no more drives in-tank water out of the tank, causes an intense evaporation, named strombolian phase. In this phase vapour–liquid–solid extraction occurs, with consequent extraction of soluble compounds which are generally noxious for the quality of the final product. The higher the pressure and temperature, the higher the extraction of undesired components.
    http://www.msc.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~phyexp/uploads/Moka/article2.pdf
    Moka-coffee-extraction-temperature.jpg

As can be seen from the diagram, the temperature of the extracted coffee is too low most of the time and too high at the end, the accepted ideal being 91 - 96°C

The TI2 graph of the water reservoir temperature shows that in the final stages the water steam strombolian mess reaches as high as 120°C so would be passing through the lower coffee grounds at such temperatures.

I used a Moka pot for decades and a silvercrest espresso for about 4 years and greatly prefer the results from the latter, which gels with the science.

Actually, my food processor coffee grinder attachment uses conical burrs:
    Coffee-grinder-Burr.jpg

Got to love those Swedes.

I use the built-in burr grinder in the Pegasso. Before you go guessing as to it's quality and going for another put-down, you might first want to ponder/research what the origin of the word 'mill' is in 'Quickmill'. Hint: they have been making coffee grinders since WW2 ended.

Advertisement