Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is anyone hoping the UK don't crash out so we can continue getting good coffee cheaply? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Yup. Although the Good Friday Agrement should keep the Bailies option alive, though, if nothing else? :-)
    Is anyone hoping the UK don't crash out so we can continue getting good coffee cheaply? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Any good subs going at the moment, I've had 3FE and Bailies recently, one month left on Bailies so looking for anything else that's worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Any good subs going at the moment, I've had 3FE and Bailies recently, one month left on Bailies so looking for anything else that's worth considering

Not tried them yet myself but it's next on the list

https://www.roastedbrown.com/

I think Donnacha here is a big fan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I have a Bailies subscription too, and don't think any of the other obvious options come close to offering a similar value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I have a Bailies subscription too, and don't think any of the other obvious options come close to offering a similar value for money.

Happy with mine too even if they've probably sent me Nota too many times. Lovely coffee though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

limnam wrote: »
    Happy with mine too even if they've probably sent me Nota too many times. Lovely coffee though

I have the microlot subscription for filter coffee. I'm on my 4th bag and don't think I've gotten the same coffee twice yet.

A bag of the £15 Guatemala El Limonar Cup of Excellence arrived this morning, and I can't wait to get home and try a cup. Smells great.

I have the microlot subscription for filter coffee. I'm on my 4th bag and don't think I've gotten the same coffee twice yet.

A bag of the £15 Guatemala El Limonar Cup of Excellence arrived this morning, and I can't wait to get home and try a cup. Smells great.

I got this this morning too, can't wait to try it.

Value for money is less important to me than variety and changing things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,100 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just for anybody who doesn't have the option of brewed coffee at work. I picked up a jar of Stockwell and co. instant coffee in Tesco for I think it was €1.35, it's not bad for an instant coffee.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just for anybody who doesn't have the option of brewed coffee at work. I picked up a jar of Stockwell and co. instant coffee in Tesco for I think it was €1.35, it's not bad for an instant coffee.

Instant coffee.....dont you know what forum you're on? Don't you know we are "precious" about our coffee?

I'm going for a cup of tea ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Aeropress ?

There's no need to live like an animal my friend, be free and enjoy a decent coffee anywhere there's a kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get your priorities in order - look for another employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Kind of the opposite of a coffee bargain - the Bell lance coffee subs for single origin look very expensive: €39 for 3 months plus €5 each month postage. I thought the €39 included the postage which would make it ok price-wise.

Edited to add: Contacted them and this seems to be a technical error - the €39 should include postage so is actually a very fair price for single origin!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,100 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh just on the good stuff front, I got some Imbibe kaleidoscope, it's organic and it's awesome. Recommend be to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cnocbui wrote: »
    Get your priorities in order - look for another employer.

Or start drinkin tea.

Instant coffee. Shudder.

probably shíte teabags too, in fairness

Bailies have 10% off for easter

Bailies:
    Take 10% off from now until the 5th May using the code 'COFFEEWEEK19' at checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

• Advertisement

20190604-123608-copy.jpg

Aldi - €2.29 Kenyan, ground. There's a date on the back which I take to be the roasting date of 9-5-19.

No idea what it tastes like - yet.

Edit: Tastes a lot better than it's price would suggest - bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

20190604-123608-copy.jpg

Aldi - €2.29 Kenyan, ground. There's a date on the back which I take to be the roasting date of 9-5-19.

No idea what it tastes like - yet.

Edit: Tastes a lot better than it's price would suggest - bargain.

Specially produced by “Roasting Collective Dublin”. Just Googled their Eircode - it’s Bewleys.

Could also be the manufacturing date I guess. Do they do whole beans at all?

Didn't see any, and I was specifically looking for them. Grabbed a bag anyway.

Did anyone get the Velo coffee in Aldi?

My wife brought home a bag this morning, I haven't tried it yet though.

It's the Tandem one, ground.

I'll do an Aeropress later.

Used my regular Aeropress recipe on this coffee, it's ground somewhere between espresso and filter. 18g/180ml water at about 90c, 2 min brew. Inverted.

This is a not bad coffee, no huge complexities, kind of fruity and a slight bitterness on the finish.

I'm not sure what price it was, but being from Aldi it can't be that expensive. I'd drink more of this for sure.

Used my regular Aeropress recipe on this coffee, it's ground somewhere between espresso and filter. 18g/180ml water at about 90c, 2 min brew. Inverted.

This is a not bad coffee, no huge complexities, kind of fruity and a slight bitterness on the finish.

I'm not sure what price it was, but being from Aldi it can't be that expensive. I'd drink more of this for sure.

I tried the beans - was grand but unremarkable. It is 4 euro for 200g so not all that cheap and no roast date put me off tbh.

our definitions of cheap are a bit different!

our definitions of cheap are a bit different!

I guess LOL :D

I just mean you can get 250g of really good quality, freshly roasted beans from the likes of Bell Lane for just under €7, or Nick's for €6.50 vs €5 for 250g from velo (the smaller bags they sell makes the price gap seem bigger), so I would rather go for the former for the bit extra imo, but it's all personal preference

• Advertisement

6kg of Amorcaffe intenso beans from Amazon for about €30.

Robusta/aribica 60/40.
    A very drinkable coffee for the money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amorcaffe-Intenso-Taste-Coffee-Beans/dp/B07P91JGG6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=amorcaffe+1kg&qid=1559756137&s=gateway&sprefix=Amorcaffe+1&sr=8-2

Advertisement