Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Background & support system- advice wanted please.

• 12-10-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to buy a backdrop & support system. I was at a shoot recently and we used Savage sidetone seemless paper. This seems like a good option as if it's wrinkled you just tear it off from the roll.

The support system that Conns suggested is expensive (€190) Lastolite 1108. The beam needs to be strong to support the roll.

Before I buy does anyone have any suggestions on the background or the support system please? I'll pay this much if I need to but (obviously) would prefer to pay less for the support system but need to be assured that it'd be strong enough.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Savage paper is pretty much industry standard, so you can't go wrong there.

Just make sure you store them stood upright, and never leave them hung on the supports for any significant amount of time after a shoot, as they will sag in the middle if you do.

Probably best to stick to standard nuetral colours for starters (white, grey, black, with white & grey being the most versatile). I would only buy the more colourful ones if an actual job required it.

Make sure to pick up some A clamps to prevent the paper from unrolling on you as you're setting it up. Also, if you'll be setting up on your own, a couple of step stools will be handy for rolling out/rolling it back up.

The support stands you linked to will be fine for a standard 9ft paper roll, but wouldn't be able to hold a proper 9ft vinyl backdrop, or an extra long paper roll.

I've had the same heavy duty support stands for years now that hold all of the above. Got them from Calumet, and I think they may have been cheaper than the Lastolite kit.

Advertisement