Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal votes down motion to provide safe walking and cycling school routes

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of us here living within Fingal. I see that the green party proposal to provide the above for any new developments within the county lost the vote by 3.

I can see where they're coming from with regards to CPOs, very messy and expensive at the best of times, but if the land is there for development there at least can be some effort made within such areas.

The story below from The Journal lists each councillor from all wards split by how they voted.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/cycling-schools-3020766-Oct2016/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a familiar story in ireland though. similar to the 'we should not introduce sensible regulations on energy efficiency in houses because it'll slow down housebuilding' approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yip, and that's very worrying. We all know houses are required, but more and more I'm seeing people suggesting that planning and rezoning should be fast tracked to get them up quicker, and we all know where that can get us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

surely safe cycle ways could be an incentive for builders to work around them when developing in future. that school they mention in kinsealy is in the middle of no where along a road thats bad enough for adults to cycle on never mind johnny in junior infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Vision. Foresight. Aspiration.

All foreign concepts that we simply cannot afford. Perhaps if there was an EU grant available for each of the above?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

FG and FF councillers voted with their party which is shameful. Local stuff like this should not be totally decided on party policy.

McGuinness voted against it too, he's FG in all but name and only left as he didn't get on the ballot for the General Election. He's also a teacher, you'd think he'd off pupils interests in mind.

Same builders will be asked in 5 years time to build this stuff at twice the cost.

Same ol, Same ol. LUAS should always have been either cross city or had a circular line, but a few objections stopped it and now the cost is far more than it would have been.

The whole, we can't afford now doesn't wash as we can't afford not to. Fingal is a staffed by some of the worse self congratulatory back patters there are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, I'm surprised to see McGuinness voting against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Weepsie wrote: »
    FG and FF councillers voted with their party which is shameful. Local stuff like this should not be totally decided on party policy.

Personally thats why I always vote independent at local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

lead to compulsory purchase orders (CPO) for the creation of cycling routes for the schools. CPOs involves the acquisition of land for public purpose without requiring the consent of the owners

the route in the article would need 6 CPO's including a few that would bisect some fields including proximity to what looks like a quarry, if they're blasting they'd hardly want to have to stop ppl walking for fear of one of them getting struck with shrapnel

but yes something does need to be done to make roads safer for pedestrians, cyclists and all other road users

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It's very sad indeed. Why only earlier this year a lollypop lady was knocked down around by me in Fingal. Fortunately she was fine, motorist said he didn't see her (seriously I kid you not), sun in his eyes apparently. If it hadn't been her it may have been a child or a few children mowed down, and those children won't be wearing full length florescent clothes and a 6 foot florescent stick with a huge disk on it. We need safe passage to schools people.

Advertisement