Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Train Parking- None!

Options
  • 12-10-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Used to always get a spot here for the train arriving around 7.45/7.50am (Mon-Fri)

For the last few weeks all spaces and "Car Park Full" sign is up at 7.35am

Anyone have any idea why this is the case?

What has changed?

Are there any other options for parking to get train?

Cheers
    YB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have to pay to park in the town now, so commuters who were parking for free (and strangling the businesses in the town) are paying in the Irish Rail carpark instead as the all day spaces cost too much and there are limited spaces available on a monthly basis at Supervalu.

Why this wasn't noticed immediately after pay parking came in is that there is always a lag in August/September/October as holidays end and more people return to work/college/etc as they settle in to their commutes for the year. Public transport use rises by October and traffic falls marginally.

There is planning in for another 30 or so spaces on the other platform. Irish Waterways own a locked, ~50 space carpark over the canal which they could be talked in to opening if there was enough demand and there is a private carpark further up the road also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is that Waterways Ireland space actually designated as a car park? I thought it was a public amenity area for the canal.

Orion wrote: »
    Is that Waterways Ireland space actually designated as a car park? I thought it was a public amenity area for the canal.

It has been used as one in the past (including by Irish Rail); what the specifics are I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

youngblood wrote: »
    What has changed?

KCC recently implemented paid parking in Maynooth. The space beside the SuperValu car park (which used to be free parking provided by the council) is now paid parking. Presumably people have started paying for parking outside the train station as it's cheaper than the spot beside SuperValu?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thanks a million, only driving to here and dont live there so couldnt figure it out.

Mystery solved, ridiculous isnt it? How did they not see the implications?

When do they propose the new spaces will be ready?

• Advertisement

Mystery solved, ridiculous isnt it? How did they not see the implications?

They did. Freeing up trade in the town centre by allowing people to go about their daily business is more important to the council than all-day parking for the station. Which is Irish Rail's job to provide. There were effectively no spaces available at any time of day due to all-day parkers.

Irish Rail are responsible for the extra spaces so I'd suggest tweeting them - they've made nothing public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

I read in the Champion that lads working on building sites park there.

A few arrive in their own cars, park and then all pile into one car and go off.

As long as they're paying there's not much Irish Rail can do about it; they do not make travel with them a condition of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Tesco started "clamping down" on all day parking. This probably the result. All day parking available beside Roost and at Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Left maynooth a couple of months ago, but I always recommended people just park in Tesco and walk down through the shortcut little lane beside Avenue that brings you out beside Bradys is this still a possibility or is that paid parking now as well? I always remember seeing cars parked in that carpark for days on end without moving especially over near the post office.

• Advertisement

Council carpark at Supervalu does long term permits - http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/PayParking/PayParkingMaynooth/Long%20Term%20Permit%20Maynooth.doc
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Left maynooth a couple of months ago, but I always recommended people just park in Tesco and walk down through the shortcut little lane beside Avenue that brings you out beside Bradys is this still a possibility or is that paid parking now as well? I always remember seeing cars parked in that carpark for days on end without moving especially over near the post office.

That will now have you clamped within hours. For all the questionable status of private clamping; its not an argument you can practically have with the same company at the same site more than once.

So can I apply for permit and park in the super valu?

So can I apply for permit and park in the super valu?

In the council carpark beside Supervalu - adjoining Parson Street but accessed via the Supervalu entrance. There are usually spaces available there all day so I wouldn't see spaces being a problem early in the morning; they won't sell more permits than space allows anyway.

L1011 wrote: »
    In the council carpark beside Supervalu - adjoining Parson Street but accessed via the Supervalu entrance. There are usually spaces available there all day so I wouldn't see spaces being a problem early in the morning; they won't sell more permits than space allows anyway.

Do you happen to know how long you can park on a day to day basis there??
    Price?

I just realised its 60.50e per month for the permit!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Price?

Wow, that's great value. Just €3.00 per work day with free weekends thrown in as a bonus. Well spotted. Downside is that now that you have publicised the deal the demand will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Price?

You can park there all day for €6.50 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

Price?

According to Maynooth Pay Parking Bye Laws 2013

It's €1 for 1 hour

€2 for 2 hours

€3 for 4 hours

€5 for all day parking

€50 for monthly parking ticket

Off street parking fees are subject to VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Leixlip Louisa train station has an ample car park, I think it's €10 for the week, with the added benefit of a cheaper train ticket!

Probably an easier drive in from the motorway also if coming from the west. Problem is if you are getting a Sligo train, as it doesn't stop at Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

infacteh wrote: »
    Leixlip Louisa train station has an ample car park, I think it's €10 for the week, with the added benefit of a cheaper train ticket!

€3 a day or €8 for a full week

• Advertisement

Thought Louisa would have much less car parking space.
    Im thinking this is what Im gonna now try and do

Thanks a million for all your helpful suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thought Louisa would have much less car parking space.
    Im thinking this is what Im gonna now try and do

Thanks a million for all your helpful suggestions!

There's a big carpark on the opposite side of the road, book your parking in advance on Park by Text for the €8 price

Thanks Mulk will check it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I live near Kilcock and park in Louisa Bridge. It's a lot less hassle than trying to get parking at Maynooth train station.

I did my homework a few weeks ago -
    By 7:15 AM, Maynooth train station car park is 75% full. At 7:30 it's 95% full.

A few extra minutes on the motorway makes more sense for me.

If you have an annual ticket IR are currently doing a years parking for €220 as I recall. I deleted the email as I walk to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Thats a good deal. About 200/220 weekdays in the year workwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Ardent wrote: »
    I live near Kilcock and park in Louisa Bridge. It's a lot less hassle than trying to get parking at Maynooth train station.

I did my homework a few weeks ago -
    By 7:15 AM, Maynooth train station car park is 75% full. At 7:30 it's 95% full.

A few extra minutes on the motorway makes more sense for me.

At what stage would Louisa Bridge be full do you know? Or are there many spaces left when you get the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Rathkenny wrote: »
    At what stage would Louisa Bridge be full do you know? Or are there many spaces left when you get the train?

I've never seen it full. I get the 8.02 train and there are loads of spaces at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Ardent wrote: »
    I've never seen it full. I get the 8.02 train and there are loads of spaces at that time.

Indeed thinking of changing up my routine. Cycled over the summer but since the light has faded I'm looking at alternatives. It's become such a rat race parking in Maynooth.

I've heard a lot of the cars that park at the station are from passengers who take the bus into town.

Advertisement