Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Train Parking- None!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

TonyStark wrote: »
    Indeed thinking of changing up my routine. Cycled over the summer but since the light has faded I'm looking at alternatives. It's become such a rat race parking in Maynooth.

I've heard a lot of the cars that park at the station are from passengers who take the bus into town.

Shouldn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Indeed thinking of changing up my routine. Cycled over the summer but since the light has faded I'm looking at alternatives. It's become such a rat race parking in Maynooth.

I've heard a lot of the cars that park at the station are from passengers who take the bus into town.

Shouldn't be allowed.
    What can you do really. Saw a few people parked up and waiting in their cars this morning parked up I would imagine since about 7am. There has to be more to life than that. I think Louisa Bridge will be where I will winter.

Some interesting motions at the Council Meeting tomorrow. O'Cearuil seems to be leading the charge.
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/CorporateServices/CorporateServices/CouncilMeetings/MaynoothMunicipalDistrictMeeting/2016/Agendas/161020%20AG.pdf

Some interesting motions at the Council Meeting tomorrow. O'Cearuil seems to be leading the charge.
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/CorporateServices/CorporateServices/CouncilMeetings/MaynoothMunicipalDistrictMeeting/2016/Agendas/161020%20AG.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Shouldn't be allowed.

Why? It's a private car park. There no condition that you have to be taking a train - and even if there was how would you police it? Carparks at Connolly station are full of people who drive to work in the city and park for the day.

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Shouldn't be allowed.

Why? It's a private car park. There no condition that you have to be taking a train - and even if there was how would you police it? Carparks at Connolly station are full of people who drive to work in the city and park for the day.
    It should be exclusively for train passengers. Plenty of public car parks in the vicinity for other commuters.
    Easily policed by increasing the price to 6 euro a day with discounts given to Monthly and Annual Ticket Holders through park by text to encourage usage among passengers and dissuade people taking up spaces from these people.

Naoise couldn't lead a charge if it was a placid horse on reins. I see Durkan has one too about the same thing so I'd bet there's an announcement due that they're both about to take credit for.

I do like McGinley's one - not often I say that - for bollards to prevent parking on the path. It can be ridiculous up there. Teresa Murray's one about road markings isn't enough - they'll just be ignored with flashing hazards lights that allow you to do anything you want seemingly.

Did someone in this thread mention the potholes near lidl earlier - Teresa has one about those too. They are lethal if you're a cyclist.

It should be exclusively for train passengers. Plenty of public car parks in the vicinity for other commuters.
    Easily policed by increasing the price to 6 euro a day with discounts given to Monthly and Annual Ticket Holders through park by text to encourage usage among passengers and dissuade people taking up spaces from these people.

Like I said I walk to the train so it doesn't impact me but I just can't see that enforceable at all. What about people who pay daily, 10 journey or weekly? What about occasional commuters who work from home some days and only use it once or twice a week or less? They would be valid train users but not catchable by your suggestion re: monthly/annual ticket holders. I do not agree with the implication that non-5 time a week commuters should be charged extra.

btw did you see item 4?
    To agree to meet a delegation representing Maynooth Community Church to make a
    presentation on a possible building project in Maynooth?
    From what I hear they are getting the old soccer pitch opposite Carton Court for their church.

Naoise couldn't lead a charge if it was a placid horse on reins. I see Durkan has one too about the same thing so I'd bet there's an announcement due that they're both about to take credit for.

I do like McGinley's one - not often I say that - for bollards to prevent parking on the path. It can be ridiculous up there. Teresa Murray's one about road markings isn't enough - they'll just be ignored with flashing hazards lights that allow you to do anything you want seemingly.

Did someone in this thread mention the potholes near lidl earlier - Teresa has one about those too. They are lethal if you're a cyclist.
    Perhaps, The waterways Ireland land they had earmarked for a car park I would imagine. Not a solution to the underlying issue.

• Advertisement

Like I said I walk to the train so it doesn't impact me but I just can't see that enforceable at all. What about people who pay daily, 10 journey or weekly? What about occasional commuters who work from home some days and only use it once or twice a week or less? They would be valid train users but not catchable by your suggestion re: monthly/annual ticket holders. I do not agree with the implication that non-5 time a week commuters should be charged extra.
    The public car parks represent a cheaper and more affordable option for them. Annual and Monthly should take precedence over occasional commuters as they represent a cohort that actually depend on the train to get to work. The issue here is not occasional commuters but commuters using the cheaper car park at the train station and not using the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

btw did you see item 4?

From what I hear they are getting the old soccer pitch opposite Carton Court for their church.

Land adjacent to the pitch, rather than the pitch; and with community facilities available was what I heard.

I would be interested to see how amenable they'd be to, say, letting a potential local branch of BeLonGTo rent a room for a meeting if there are community facilities. Something the council has to consider VERY carefully. Community facilities need to be for the entire community, not those that meet the whims of anyone inserted as a gatekeeper.
    The public car parks represent a cheaper and more affordable option for them. Annual and Monthly should take precedence over occasional commuters as they represent a cohort that actually depend on the train to get to work. The issue here is not occasional commuters but commuters using the cheaper car park at the train station and not using the train.

I take the train 4-5 days a week on average. I don't use monthly or annual tickets as my place of work changes and there is no cost saving at all in buying a ticket for the largest possible trip since Leap capping came in. While I walk to the station, others in similar situations don't.

L1011 wrote: »
    Land adjacent to the pitch, rather than the pitch; and with community facilities available was what I heard.

I've heard that this has changed. The church getting it exclusively. Was discussed at community council and the new committee investigating options for a community Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

The CoCo have a big old yard they use for storing sh!te in a prime bit of real estate between the Roost and the Fire Station. Have . Look on Google Earth. It is crazy that hasn't been relocated to the outskirts of the town or a few miles out.

ixus wrote: »
    The CoCo have a big old yard they use for storing sh!te in a prime bit of real estate between the Roost and the Fire Station. Have . Look on Google Earth. It is crazy that hasn't been relocated to the outskirts of the town or a few miles out.

I can't see the council yard moving but the fire station beside it is. Up behind Lidl I believe.

I've heard that this has changed. The church getting it exclusively. Was discussed at community council and the new committee investigating options for a community Hall.

Utterly inappropriate use of council land then, unless they pay market rate. Very probably unconstitutional too (if free) as its endowing a religion.

L1011 wrote: »
    Utterly inappropriate use of council land then, unless they pay market rate. Very probably unconstitutional too as its endowing a religion.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all. I completely agree with you apart from the constitution argument. The state has always endowed religions - state funded religious run schools for example.

The state has always endowed religions - state funded religious run schools for example.

Plenty of people feel that's unconstitutional too; but the costs (for the plaintiff - nobody would take it no foal no fee and the state would try demand bonds for costs) and fallout (for the state if they lost) of the court case would be unmanagable.

It is unacceptable in the modern day for a council to hand over land to a church - any church - without getting something significant in return. No community facilities, no land.

I went to the open consultation on the Traffic Management Plan back in June or whenever. They were working off only two solutions to traffic chaos as I could see it. Outer Ring Road and the old plan to run a road down canal and by fire station out and around to Parson St. A very old plan to open up the green space there.

I gave them a detailed alternate plan with drawings on how to make the whole area of the town actually work better and open up spaces. It's difficult to actually visualize by text but I'll try.

Open a new road through the harbour, beside the apartments. Then build a one way system that goes from the Roost to BOI, turn right one way system to Glenroyal, option to continue on Straffan road or turn right onto Harbour Road, right again onto Leinster St.

One way system coming from Parsons lodge into the town. Pedestrianise Old college entrance. College uses roundabout at Kilcock Road to enter South Campus.

With this, you remove a heap of junction time at the Roost and BOI junction. Pedestrian crossing could also regulate traffic flow. Reduces from 3 lanes to 2 on part of Main St and down to Glenroyal. Allows wide bike lanes that can also link down Leinster St and onto Greenway Cycle thats coming.

There are flaws, like people wanting to turn up Parsons St having to go to Straffan entrance but that is purpose built. The flow should be better so time shouldn't be a huge facto. Obviously, if Outer Ring Road built, that helps big time.

I went through every back street and rat run thats used and why. Explained that if 7/8 cars are coming out of south campus, thats the junction goosed there. If you're going to Dunboyne from Newtown/Rathcoffey Rd, you should go around by Laragh and through North campus at peak times or you would be 40+ minutes.

Lots more detail, hence, eager to see what they propose.

Went to Louisa Bridge this morning. Much more relaxed than Maynooth altogether aside from the usual traffic chaos caused by the Intel drones trying to make it to clock in time.

Might try the motorway tomorrow. So far so good. :-)

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    I went to the open consultation on the Traffic Management Plan back in June or whenever. They were working off only two solutions to traffic chaos as I could see it. Outer Ring Road and the old plan to run a road down canal and by fire station out and around to Parson St. A very old plan to open up the green space there.

I gave them a detailed alternate plan with drawings on how to make the whole area of the town actually work better and open up spaces. It's difficult to actually visualize by text but I'll try.

Open a new road through the harbour, beside the apartments. Then build a one way system that goes from the Roost to BOI, turn right one way system to Glenroyal, option to continue on Straffan road or turn right onto Harbour Road, right again onto Leinster St.

One way system coming from Parsons lodge into the town. Pedestrianise Old college entrance. College uses roundabout at Kilcock Road to enter South Campus.

With this, you remove a heap of junction time at the Roost and BOI junction. Pedestrian crossing could also regulate traffic flow. Reduces from 3 lanes to 2 on part of Main St and down to Glenroyal. Allows wide bike lanes that can also link down Leinster St and onto Greenway Cycle thats coming.

There are flaws, like people wanting to turn up Parsons St having to go to Straffan entrance but that is purpose built. The flow should be better so time shouldn't be a huge facto. Obviously, if Outer Ring Road built, that helps big time.

I went through every back street and rat run thats used and why. Explained that if 7/8 cars are coming out of south campus, thats the junction goosed there. If you're going to Dunboyne from Newtown/Rathcoffey Rd, you should go around by Laragh and through North campus at peak times or you would be 40+ minutes.

Lots more detail, hence, eager to see what they propose.

That looks interesting. Any chance of a diagram to help visualise it?

Don't have access to laptop now. Will try and post at some stage today.

Got a minute. Goole Earth & MS Paint job. They'd have to pay me to use proper software and do their job.

Overall Layout: http://imgur.com/rHtNokP

Main Street: http://imgur.com/a/X6cHC

Straffan Road: http://imgur.com/a/D5z5o

Leinster Street: http://imgur.com/a/wnuFV

Parson Street: http://imgur.com/a/MErC0

I know this means cutting into the Harbour Field but, I think it could be utilized better if this part, with a walkway was opened up and the Tidy Towns were given some funds to upgrade it.

There was already a plan to cut into harbour field to put in a cycle/pedestrian roadway there which the emergency services could also use to get out to Straffan Road. But the ICA are refusing to move their hut.

A 70 year old tin hut doesn't have much life left in it. Few more years and I suspect they'll regret not accepting offers. It was apparently in poor nick when bought from Macra in the 60s even.

Roof is visibly buckling in the 7 year old Google Streetview images!

CPO or condemn that.

There was already a plan to cut into harbour field to put in a cycle/pedestrian roadway there which the emergency services could also use to get out to Straffan Road. But the ICA are refusing to move their hut.

Registered only in 2009. I wonder whether it was a squatters rights job. Seems to be in an opportune location to demand a large payment.

399623.PNG

Surely there are laws with buildings like that in terms of fire safety they can be compelled to repair it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lasting31

Hello just recently moved to Maynooth and trying to figure out the best train to get to work in sir John Roberson quay. Can I ask are there any seats on the 8.10 Maynooth-Connolly express train which comes from Longford ? I am 5 months pregnant so keen to get a seat when possible as I tend to faint!

Lasting31 wrote: »
    Hello just recently moved to Maynooth and trying to figure out the best train to get to work in sir John Roberson quay. Can I ask are there any seats on the 8.10 Maynooth-Connolly express train which comes from Longford ? I am 5 months pregnant so keen to get a seat when possible as I tend to faint!

Very rarely. You may have a better chance of getting the few there are with the bump, but that depends on people being reasonable which isn't a given! There are usually seats on it on Fridays, though. Train actually comes from Sligo so there are people who've been in some of the seats for over 2 hours at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I haven't commuted in 5 years but I always found a seat on the 8:10 and found people in Maynooth brilliant for giving up their seats to those who need them. I used to commute from Balbriggan before that and it was awful in comparison.

Advertisement