Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a clue what to buy!!!!

Options
  • 12-10-2016 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

My kids are looking for there first gaming console for Christmas and I don't have a clue where to start...there a such a range or consoles/controllers etc.
    So I am looking for advice on a good all rounder package that will do the job.
    I would need two controllers and have limited mobile broadband only and capped at 15GB a month.
    So what would be a good console/bundle to get that would be somewhat future proofed? Kids would like fifa 17 and maybe minecraft.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

this looks to be exactly what you are looking for

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/page/o/xboxonedealeight/

Also keep an eye on Argos website they always have great bundles deals from now up until christmas, especially around black Friday. Also keep an eye on the boards.ie bargain alerts section and the xbox bargain alerts section. Also keep on eye on www.hotukdeals.com and amazon as the sterling rate is very strong at the moment.

One concern though is your broadband cap, a lot of bundle deals come with a digital copy of the game as is the case with fifa 17 in the above bundle. a digital copy of the game would be around 35-40gb minimum. Even buying disc based games now is a problem as they usually need massive updates when you first install the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

this looks to be exactly what you are looking for

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/page/o/xboxonedealeight/

Also keep an eye on Argos website they always have great bundles deals from now up until christmas, especially around black Friday. Also keep an eye on the boards.ie bargain alerts section and the xbox bargain alerts section. Also keep on eye on www.hotukdeals.com and amazon as the sterling rate is very strong at the moment.

One concern though is your broadband cap, a lot of bundle deals come with a digital copy of the game as is the case with fifa 17 in the above bundle. a digital copy of the game would be around 35-40gb minimum. Even buying disc based games now is a problem as they usually need massive updates when you first install the game.

It would be a massive pain in the ass, but they could take the console to another location with unlimited broadband like a friend or neighbor to do the initial install. I just installed gears of war and it was 54gb so would take up almost 4 months allowance for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I bought an xbox one with a digital copy of FIFA 16 and limited mobile broadband capped at 15gb also. Needless to say is that I didn't get to use that code. I upgraded my limit to 30gb and even with a bit of Netflix (not a lot) I have never gone over my limit by buying physical copies of games.

I think you could get by on 15gb, but would just be vigilant and put the console in offline mode whenever you have the games set up so that the kids don't blow through your limit with updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

still think when it comes to kids a 360 is the better way to go, far better selection of age appropriate games for a fraction of the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

still think when it comes to kids a 360 is the better way to go, far better selection of age appropriate games for a fraction of the price.

I suppose it depends on the age of the kids. If they're very young, a 360 would do a few more years as popular kids games will continue to be released on it and there is already as massive kid friendly back catalogue.

But if they're old enough to specifically want an XB1, a 360 won't really cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I suppose it depends on the age of the kids. If they're very young, a 360 would do a few more years as popular kids games will continue to be released on it and there is already as massive kid friendly back catalogue.

But if they're old enough to specifically want an XB1, a 360 won't really cut it.

Also got to think about the other kids at school, if they all have the current gen of consoles and OP buys their kids a 360, then unfortunately OP would be opening up their kids to potential bullying. Sad as it is, this sort of thing happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Also got to think about the other kids at school, if they all have the current gen of consoles and OP buys their kids a 360, then unfortunately OP would be opening up their kids to potential bullying. Sad as it is, this sort of thing happens!

Also if they are of an age to be playing online with friends they will probably want to be on the same as their friends.....there is a choice of PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

When helping people trying to decide what to buy, I always offer the same advice: Buy what their friends have.

That aside, nowadays I'd recommend the Xbox One S. You can get some great deals on it, and it'll be ready for a 4K HDR TV whenever you upgrade your TV next.

As for your broadband situation, it's not ideal, but as as Jayop said, it might be necessary to bring it round to a friends house to do any downloading. This will apply to Xbox and PS as well, so people will with poor broadband are kinda hobbled this generation. It's only going to get worse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭insullation

Open poster here...thanks a mill for all the comments. In Newry today so going to pick up the Xbox bundle they have in Smyths for 300 euro which in fairness is a great deal. It breaks my heart having to get a 5 year old a console but all his friends have them and all they talk about in school is the games they are playing so he is begging to get him one. I can get around broadband restrictions in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

I know tis a bit late, but I'd have gone for an RGH'd 360 from Adverts or somewhere. Especially for someone so young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Open poster here...thanks a mill for all the comments. In Newry today so going to pick up the Xbox bundle they have in Smyths for 300 euro which in fairness is a great deal. It breaks my heart having to get a 5 year old a console but all his friends have them and all they talk about in school is the games they are playing so he is begging to get him one. I can get around broadband restrictions in work.

If I could give you 1 x piece of advice having had a son waste a considerable of his early years on his Xbox (well... I feel he has!) - lay down Ground Rules!!

1. No Xbox during the school week. EVEN if he has no homework
    2. Don't let him miss meals etc..cos he busy!!
    3. Dont be an Irish Mammy and bring him meals in at the Xbox.
    4. Be prepared to have arguments when he wants certain games that could be +12's etc - just cos his mates Mon lets him play it

I felt my lad got hooked at one stage and we had terrible rows about it. His study (my lad more 13yrs at the time) and I felt that he got out of the art of study as he rushed all his homework. Just my 2 cents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Masala wrote: »
    If I could give you 1 x piece of advice having had a son waste a considerable of his early years on his Xbox (well... I feel he has!) - lay down Ground Rules!!

1. No Xbox during the school week. EVEN if he has no homework
    2. Don't let him miss meals etc..cos he busy!!
    3. Dont be an Irish Mammy and bring him meals in at the Xbox.
    4. Be prepared to have arguments when he wants certain games that could be +12's etc - just cos his mates Mon lets him play it

I felt my lad got hooked at one stage and we had terrible rows about it. His study (my lad more 13yrs at the time) and I felt that he got out of the art of study as he rushed all his homework. Just my 2 cents!!
    Also, you can set up parental controls to ensure that the kids don't spend too long, can only access online resources and chat with approved friends and can only buy stuff with your permissions.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/browse/xbox-one/security

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Xbox should stay on the main family TV in the living room. If he wants to play, he'll have to negotiate time with the rest of the family, play games with them etc, rather than having him all on his own playing in his room

Good god, why do people treat games consoles like some sort of drug addiction!! I personally would rather my kid play a games consoles then watch TV.. My daughter is 9 is a massive gamer but also plays 3 different sports.. I am very proud of her for being a gamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Good god, why do people treat games consoles like some sort of drug addiction!! I personally would rather my kid play a games consoles then watch TV.. My daughter is 9 is a massive gamer but also plays 3 different sports.. I am very proud of her for being a gamer!
    I feel the same. My daughter is also 9 and loves video games, I'm proud as punch of her.
    I am biased though, as I got my C64 when I was 10 years old (I'm now 35) and have been playing VGs ever since.
    Generational thing??

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I feel the same. My daughter is also 9 and loves video games, I'm proud as punch of her.
    I am biased though, as I got my C64 when I was 10 years old (I'm now 35) and have been playing VGs ever since.
    Generational thing??

HAHA same here 37, my first game console/PC was an amstrad cpc 464... havent stopped playing since :D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    I am biased though, as I got my C64 when I was 10 years old and have been playing VGs ever since.
    Generational thing??

Could be generational. Started with the Atari 2600 myself.

We've been through all the consoles between myself and the 5 kids. I think it helps when you have an interest in what the kids are playing, and you join in with them.

Would have all played against each other when they were little, and still play together online with the ones that have left home. (and the occasional round of Mario Kart with the grandparents in the UK joining in).

They have picked up invaluable knowledge from certain games, and in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse I will be delighted to have my 19 year old daughter on my side due to her advanced weaponry skills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Ah I remeber the Atari 7800, actually still have it :D
    I dont have a kid but I have a nephew that I treat as my own kid, love him to bits.
    He's 5 and I started him off on Pac Man, Dig Dug and Galaxian, he is obsessed with Pac Man, we've weened him off but if he hears the word Pac, he immediately wants to watch the Pac Man Movie(Pixels) and we have watched that movie 100 times, 6 times in 1 day :(

I've since gotten him onto the DS & Wii and he is loving Super Mario and Bomber Man, he does have a bit of an anger issue though when he loses, playing Bomber Man by himself he will start to shout and give out, crying too, playing against me or his parents, we obviously go easy on him but 1 move against him and he throws a tantrum.
    I wont really let him play with the One though, personally I dont think you should be buying a console like the One for a child that age, they're a bit too young but sure its up to the parents descretion.

He will sit in with me when I am playing the One and I give him the extra controller that is not connected so he thinks he is playing. Had a little issue on Saturday where I was playing WWE 2K16 and he thought he was Player 1 and I was the computer, I ended up getting beat and he went so made he had tears going down his face, I tried to explain to him that he was actually the other character then tried to tell him he wasnt actually playing and I was, I even played another match and told him to leave his controller down and see how I move the character, even then he gave out that he lost despite him not touching the controller :D

Its not a drug addiction, but it is a hobby that can displace other activities that might be beneficial to the child. Gaming is a lot of fun and are often immediately fun, while other activities like learning a new sport, or instrument etc can take a lot of hard work before they start to get rewarding.

There's nothing wrong with gaming, but kids don't know how to regulate their time. If I left my son to do anything he wants, he would probably spend all day every playing games, or watching other people play games on youtube.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Its not a drug addiction, but it is a hobby that can displace other activities that might be beneficial to the child. Gaming is a lot of fun and are often immediately fun, while other activities like learning a new sport, or instrument etc can take a lot of hard work before they start to get rewarding.

There's nothing wrong with gaming, but kids don't know how to regulate their time. If I left my son to do anything he wants, he would probably spend all day every playing games, or watching other people play games on youtube.

Trust me that doesnt change as we get older, If the Mrs allowed it all my time would be gaming also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I have the house to myself on Saturday, not going out at all, its going to be a day for Gaming and grinding in Ark :D
    Cold pizza from the day before will be my breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I have the house to myself on Saturday, not going out at all, its going to be a day for Gaming and grinding in Ark :D
    Cold pizza from the day before will be my breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Sounds like a quality Saturday :-) Add in some footie and that's is my kinda day

I must remind my wife that she hasn't brought the kids to see her cousins in Offaly for a while....

Don't worry, I'll stay here to mind the dogs.

Advertisement