Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic in Cork & B&B near CUH?

Options
  • 12-10-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm on the hunt for local knowledge... My little girl has to be in CUH for an appointment at 8am next week, as we are coming from Limerick I'm thinking of coming down the night before and staying in a B&B/Hotel. I've found a good deal for the Commons Express Inn on the New Mallow Rd. which Google maps tells me is about 7km/20 min away.
    Would the route from here to CUH be a particularly busy one or would allowing ourselves 30 minutes for the commute be enough time?
    I should mention I've never driven in Cork before so will be relying heavily on Google Maps!!
    If that hotel isn't a good idea, could anyone recommend a B&B in the area that might not be on the usual travel pages etc? i've contacted the Dunderg which was recommended by the hospital but they don't have availability for the night i need...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Jessme

Hi, I think that if this is your first time driving in Cork city that the Commons Inn location is unnecessarily complicating things for yourself. You would have to drive through Blackpool & the city centre and on to Wilton to get to CUH.
    You would be much better off looking for a B&B in these areas: Bishopstown, Wilton or even Western Road (there are loads on Western Road). You'd be much nearer the hospital then and wouldn't have to drive through the city centre in the morning.
    As an aside, I work in CUH and the traffic can be quite heavy around the hospital at 8 a.m., so just bear that in mind.
    Wishing your daughter the best of luck with whatever brings her to hospital.

http://www.bedandbreakfastireland.net/cork_bishopstown-olde-house-bed-breakfast.html

Somewhere like this would be good, or anywhere around here/Wilton/Glasheen. You would have an easy drive to CUH from here - it would be a straight run.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Thanks so much for your help Jessme! I suppose the commons jumped out at me as its only €54 and no cancellation fee which is a benefit as daughters appointment may be cancelled if she's not well enough on the day, but as you say the morning journey may not be the best idea for my first trip ;) I also noticed some airbnbs up in the atkins hall apartments, would you know what the traffic is like coming from up there in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Give Dunderg B&B in Westgate, Bishopstown a shout. Quite comfy and ideally situated - literally a couple of minutes drive to CUH in the early morning. If they have something, it'll be €50 per night.

Thanks Jimgoose, yes the hospital recommended them and she sounded like a lovely lady but unfortunately nothing available that night - she was my first port of call! :)

• Advertisement

cyberspi wrote: »
    Thanks Jimgoose, yes the hospital recommended them and she sounded like a lovely lady but unfortunately nothing available that night - she was my first port of call! :)

Ah, pity - she's a pet, yes, and serves an unbelievable breakfast. Nice clientele there, a lot of business and academic/medical types to do with CIT and CUH. I live near there - Dunderg is 'twixt my place and t'Woolpack. :pac:

Another possibility is Brookside House, Stratton Pines, Bishopstown. Their location is just as good.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ah, pity - she's a pet, yes, and serves an unbelievable breakfast. Nice clientele there, a lot of business and academic/medical types to do with CIT and CUH. I live near there - Dunderg is 'twixt my place and t'Woolpack. :pac:

Another possibility is Brookside House, Stratton Pines, Bishopstown. Their location is just as good.

great thanks for the tip :) We'll most likely be frequent visitors for a while so I'm sure I'll get to stay there at some stage!

Jessme wrote: »
    Hi, I think that if this is your first time driving in Cork city that the Commons Inn location is unnecessarily complicating things for yourself. You would have to drive through Blackpool & the city centre and on to Wilton to get to CUH...

Agreed. If he does end up stuck on the Commons Road, the best thing to do is head into Blarney via the Lower Killeens Road from the junction a couple of hundred yards North of the Commons Inn. From there you can slip into Bishopstown via Tower and the Model Farm Road quite easily, and on to Wilton/CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

What about one of the hotels at the airport,Ballincollig or the Ramada near Blarney would be easier than the Commons imo.Not sure if the travel lodge at Kinsale rd roundabout is still open or try the River Lee hotel as it's only a few minutes from the hospital. Hope your daughter gets better soon.

Colser wrote: »
    What about one of the hotels at the airport,Ballincollig or the Ramada near Blarney would be easier than the Commons imo.Not sure if the travel lodge at Kinsale rd roundabout is still open or try the River Lee hotel as it's only a few minutes from the hospital. How your daughter gets better soon.

The Travelodge is open, yes. But then we expose the hapless Gai-jinn to the delights of the Magic Roundabout! :pac:

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote:
    The Travelodge is open, yes. But then we expose the hapless Gai-jinn to the delights of the Kinsale Road "Magic" Roundabout!

I know lol...but he would be on the easiest side and could take the slip road instead of going on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I recommend staying somewhere in Ballincollig over the Commons. At that time of the morning you'd be in CUH in less than 10 mins via the link. Best of luck with everything.

Colser wrote: »
    I know lol...but he would be on the easiest side and could take the slip road instead of going on the roundabout.

Ah true enough, it's alright. That blasted International Hotel at the airport have a nasty habit of charging around €200 a night, though.

Uncanny, I was just about to ask about the travellodge for future reference :) bit expensive this time but might need it again...

cyberspi wrote:
    Uncanny, I was just about to ask about the travellodge for future reference bit expensive this time but might need it again...

Did you look at booking.com?

Just wondering, one of the routes I could take to cork brings me by Blarney, what is the traffic like from that side in the mornings?

Not bad before 7.30am..try Ramada and head for Carrigrohane ..then sth link to Bishopstown..what morning are you travelling?

Actually the Woollen Mills in blarney do rooms for 50e ..

Thanks Colser might give them a shout and suss it out, will be heading down Wed night for Thursday morn...

Hi, only just saw your question now about Atkins Hall. Before 7.30 I would say that you would have an easy journey. There might be a bit of traffic on the way up Wilton Road but the actual route is very straightforward.
    I see the suggestions here for Blarney. For anyone that knows the area it would be fine. I suppose I'm just going on my own thoughts of: I'm in a place I don't know, my daughter is going for a hospital appointment in a place I've never been...and if I were in your shoes I'd prefer to get somewhere as near as possible to CUH, or at least a straightforward route to there on the morning.
    Maybe I'm being overly cautious on your behalf!
    If you decide on somewhere and would like directions to CUH from where you're at, I'm sure we could all tell you the best route to take.
    As far as parking in CUH is concerned, go left at the main gate for the public car park closest to the main reception/admissions. There are 2 public car parks. The other one is down to the right of the main gates and is handier for A&E and the outpatient & day clinics.
    And whatever you do, don't leave your car in Tesco carpark across the road for any length of time. They're very clamp-happy there!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bof

Olde House B+B is newly opened on Curraheen Road. Ideally located for CUH

• Advertisement

Hi all, just wanted to pop back in and say thank you to everyone for your help, the dunderg and olde house were both booked up but I found another one called Brookside, they seem to be only 5 min away in the car so should be ideal this time around... I'm sure by the end of our visits I'll know Cork better than Limerick :)

cyberspi wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to pop back in and say thank you to everyone for your help, the dunderg and olde house were both booked up but I found another one called Brookside, they seem to be only 5 min away in the car so should be ideal this time around... I'm sure by the end of our visits I'll know Cork better than Limerick :)

I told you about Brookside the other day! :D

Glad you got sorted - the very best of luck to you and yours. May the road rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

The Commons Inn is not suitable for CUH. I'd go with one of the B& Bs mentioned or there's a new one on The Curraheen Road in Bishopstown called The Olde House that friends of mine stayed in and liked very much. You also have a great range of B7Bs on The western Road. The Kingsley Hotel is also much more convenient to CUH.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I told you about Brookside the other day! :D

Glad you got sorted - the very best of luck to you and yours. May the road rise.

lol oops knew it was familiar! thanks for the help ;)

Advertisement