Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Centre Charlesland

Options
  • 12-10-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Jennifer Whitmore raises the question of a need for a suitable youth centre for Charlesland.

[url] http://www.greystonesguide.ie/does-charlesland-need-a-youth-centre/ [/url]

<Mod snip, snide remarks removed>

<Mod warning: When posting in this thread do not personally attack anyone or suggest corruption/bribery as this can land people in hot water! Thank you>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it's a very good idea but personally I would prefer to see it more town centre located. Charlesland is a bit far out for many on the other side of town. And I feel such a project should be open to as many as possible.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

.. I feel such a project should be open to as many as possible.
    Once you get religion involved, it will never have universal community support unfortunately.
    On the other hand, nobody else is sufficiently organised or motivated to take on the task. Catch 22.
    As a county councillor, Whitmore should really be pushing for a state or local govt. sponsored initiative. Not jumping on the bandwagon of a YMCA initiative. Its not totally clear from the article whether this is the case or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

recedite wrote: »
    Once you get religion involved, it will never have universal community support unfortunately.
    On the other hand, nobody else is sufficiently organised or motivated to take on the task. Catch 22.
    As a county councillor, Whitmore should really be pushing for a state or local govt. sponsored initiative. Not jumping on the bandwagon of a YMCA initiative. Its not totally clear from the article whether this is the case or not?

The campaign Whitmore is part of is completely separate from the YMCA campaign.

They are looking for something state funded.

I agree with that. My point was about the geographic location. I feel hiving a youth centre off into the periphery of a town is not a great idea and a more inclusive approach with a central location would be better.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Feasog Dearg

Probably better than the kids playing in a car park, as you have given out about previously on this forum?

A youth centre with appropriate facilities for young teenagers should be welcomed - if it even helps keep a percentage of those left aimlessly wandering the playground, copses and wooded areas, then great!
    Honestly! wrote: »
    Jennifer Whitmore raises the question of a need for a suitable youth centre for Charlesland.

[url] http://www.greystonesguide.ie/does-charlesland-need-a-youth-centre/ [/url]

<Mod snip, snide remarks removed>

<Mod warning: When posting in this thread do not personally attack anyone or suggest corruption/bribery as this can land people in hot water! Thank you>

Advertisement