Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualification Shortfalls

Options
  • 12-10-2016 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

I am a fully qualified Australian teacher with over 5years experience. I have both an undergrad degree in History and English and a Masters of Education in Secondary Teaching (English and History).

It has taken 20weeks for me to get qualified here and now I have some shortfalls due to not knowing enough Irish History (understandable, however in other countries you are not asked to 'make up' these shortfalls) and also English Renaissance Literature.

Can someone explain to me if I have to only make up 15credit points, can I do this online? I am furious, truth be told, as in other countries I have taught in, the emphasis has always been on the quality of the teacher, not the subjects studied. The added cost is ridiculous.

Any tips/thoughts/ideas?
    Has anyone ever appealed the Teaching Council decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The teaching council are a load of rubbish but in fairness, while the quality of teaching is important, so too is expert knowledge of the subject. That's why you are expected to have your subject to degree level - because it isn't about being one page ahead of the students, 'no matter how good a teacher you are.

I can understand your frustration because you're obviously a highly qualified, professional teacher but that doesn't mean you don't need to know your subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 austeacher

oh absolutely.. I didn't mean to come across as so frustrated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You can get the extra credits through DCU Oscail. Contact them for further info.

Advertisement