Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own coils question

• 12-10-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about making my own coils.
    I have a pico with a melo 3 mini that uses eleaf ec coils,i'm currently using a .5ohm coil.
    I saw a 6 pack of premade wire coils;

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/748-6pc-aspire-clapton-prebuilt-coil.html

on thebestshop today,I think they were €2.50 something like that.
    The complete ec coils are about that each.
    Is it difficult/worthwhile to rebuild them?
    Also I have been using the same coil for a few weeks now.Is there a set period after which it should be changed,or is it just done on deminished performance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Stock coils are good until the flavor starts to mute, if you find the taste is a bit meh, it's time to change maybe. And it'll depend on your vaping habit, some get a week only from stock coils, some claim to get a good 3-4 weeks.

As for rebuilding, on the Melo, you will need the rba coil head for it first and a pack of cotton. The coil itself will last months if you like, once you dry burn and rinse between wicking. You can wick every day if you like, it's like having a brand new coil each day. that's what I love about building my own coils in general, re-wicking whenever I fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Stock coils are good until the flavor starts to mute, if you find the taste is a bit meh, it's time to change maybe. And it'll depend on your vaping habit, some get a week only from stock coils, some claim to get a good 3-4 weeks.

As for rebuilding, on the Melo, you will need the rba coil head for it first and a pack of cotton. The coil itself will last months if you like, once you dry burn and rinse between wicking. You can wick every day if you like, it's like having a brand new coil each day. that's what I love about building my own coils in general, re-wicking whenever I fancy.

Ah cheers.
    So its like a specific coil head that you need to get for reuseable coils.I thought it was a matter of removing the coil from a standard 1 and replacing it.
    I have a lot to learn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

I've seen people rebuild stock coils, looks incredibly difficult. Most tanks these days come with an "RBA". It screws in like a regular coil but you can generally take it apart really easily and just add your coil and cotton yourself.

I probably change my cotton ever 3 days, maybe change the coil every few weeks. Beats paying a few quid each time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

magentis wrote: »
    Ah cheers.
    So its like a specific coil head that you need to get for reuseable coils.I thought it was a matter of removing the coil from a standard 1 and replacing it.
    I have a lot to learn!

Like chipfox says, that can be done, but it's pointless when there are dedicated rba decks for many tanks these days. There is one for the melo, it's pretty basic, I had it myself. It's easy to build on, just a single coil set up. A few wraps of your wire around a 2.5mm screwdriver and it's held into place with the rubber insulator basically. From there it's all about the wicking. And like we say, you can change the cotton often as you like and leave the coil in place. Saves a fortune over time

The rebuildable for the melo should look like this:

MELO%202%20RBA%20Head_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've got the RBA for the melo and I find it OK, but it can be fiddly to build. Certainly not as easy as the subtank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement