Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Survivor Series 2016 Discussion (spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

In all honesty, I've watched just Goldberg's promo in the build up to this, haven't seen any of raw in weeks. I thought it was great booking from a casual perspective whereas I'd normally hate squash matches! Totally unexpected, and I thought Brock would just totally annihilate him. I just thought it sold Goldberg's 2 moves excellently and although he won the match he hasn't won the war is what I took from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I liked that! In an era where WWE are lambasted for being so predictable, I enjoyed the plot twist. I only wish I'd seen it live, when I didn't know how long the ppv was going to last (match started 3:20 into a 3:25 long video so I figured something was going squashy squashy).

But this match absolutely had to be a squash, either way. Goldberg looked rusty as sh*t on Monday night, and stretching this one out would have drawn more ire for how awful it would have looked. Hell, they did this for him for his whole career.

I also don't think this really hurts Brock. He went in as an arrogant, complacent heel, who got caught with a lucky punch when he wasn't looking. They can work with this. If you want an MMA narrative it's McGregor v Diaz: Brock will take him more seriously the second time and beat him convincingly. Brock is actually protected by not getting any offence in, otherwise he would have looked complacent AND weaker than Goldberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Brock Lesnar Vs Goldberg took me by surprise but I kind've understand why they might have done it. Goldberg would naturally be too rusty to have a long drawn out match with Lesnar, especially when he was never great in the ring to begin with. Goldberg has also said recently that he hasn't been in the ring yet, and doesn't seem to be training either. In that sense, it was probably a smart move for Goldberg because it was a simple squash match that allowed him to do his thing and have a feel good moment, without exposing him. Even though it was Lesnar who got squashed, it also works in his favor because it sets up a storyline for later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Mixed emotions after staying up to watch that.

On one hand it was a surreal moment. Certainly didn’t see it coming and Goldberg was put over huge. It was a great visual seeing Goldberg man handle Brock with ease. Im guessing he will be up near the top end of picks when the PW draft rolls around in Jan.

However, I’m annoyed that WWE gave this moment to a retired guy from years ago who essentially hasn’t got the same passion as the other guys in the back. It seems like having Brock take the streak and dominate the full time roster with ease only having him loose to a 48 year old Goldberg is a strange move and a waste of a push that could of went to someone more deserving. Yes, I realise Goldberg is still a star, but he’s an aged star who hasn’t been about in 12 years. Surely a younger guy could have done with that rub. It only confirms to me that WWE still can’t make new stars and only make the part time stars of yesterday year look good.

Imagine what a win in such fashion could have done for Kevin Owens, AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Nakamura, Cesaro, Samoa Joe or even Roman Reigns. They really have no clue how to build stars anymore and show once again that they have no faith in the current crop of full timers. The well of part time stars will eventually dry up, leaving WWE with a roster full of creatively neutered wrestlers from years of poor booking.

It’s hard to invest in a “champion” like Kevin Owens (a guy I really want to love and is capable of being a top star), when he and his fellow full timers are booked so poorly, yet the over the hill part timers are protected and made like a million bucks at the expense of the younger full timers.

I’ve no problem with the part timers being build up, but they in turn only seem to put over of part timers and rarely make new stars. Takers streak should have been taken by a new rising star, instead it was taken by Brock, who dominated only to in turn make Goldberg Look strong. Will Big Bill be built up now to put over younger talent eventually? I fear not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I loved the 5v5 a lot more than I thought I would. The list, Shane's elbow drop, Ellsworth eliminating Braun, Shield reunion and an intriguing finish with plenty of good bits in between. Thought the Spear to Shane looked incredibly painful, hope he's not too badly hurt. Plus Bray picking up a huge win on PPV? what is this wizardry?

Knew something was up with Lesnar Goldberg when I saw how long was left after the 5v5, figured a Goldberg squash was likely. I actually don't think it hurts Brock too much, the match was aimed at a more casual fan who I imagine would have no trouble believing Goldberg winning so decisively, plus I highly doubt Bill's one and done after that which would make no sense from a business or booking perspective. Assuming Brock isn't leaving then WWE need to have him destroy anything and everything tonight. If I was booking it i'd probably have Goldberg enter the Rumble, look dominant but attacked and thrown out by Brock then Lesnar beats him at Mania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The problem with it even if Goldberg is doing another match is that that match will almost certainly be against Brock Lesnar now. How in the **** could you possibly care at this stage? Bill clearly can't go and the more time he's around the more exposed he's gonna get.

So was Goldberg squashing Lesnar the huge angle that was reported about in the lead up to the ppv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I just finished watching the PPV. I have absolutely zero complaints about Lesnar v Goldberg.

At first I was like "what the actual f**k?"...... Then I just said "D'you know what? I accept this". I heard that Goldberg extended his contract so this might lead to something down the road. Either way, I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So was Goldberg squashing Lesnar the huge angle that was reported about in the lead up to the ppv?

Maybe but it could of been the brief reuniting of the shield ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

martyos121 wrote: »
    If Taker's streak wasn't pissed away at Wrestlemania 30, it sure as hell was tonight. That sums up how I feel about it, time for bed now.

Takers streak meant more for hardcore fan nostalgia. It wasn't a draw for WWE (as people had seen him lose loads of times on other shows) and it sure as hell shouldn't define his entire 25+ year career

The worst thing you can be in pro wrestling long term is predictable and the streak had grown far too predictable. I was at mania 30 and not one person in the building bought the multiple early f5s because nobody expected lesnar to win and that's lesnar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't mind and quiet enjoyed Goldberg winning quickly.

It was a hell of a lot better than the last number of Lesnar matches which were just 20/30/40 suplexes and he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Styles to retain over Ambrose at TLC as Ambrose is attacked by the Wyatt's and Orton. Ambrose goes too raw and asks to get help from his ex shield buddies and at the RR it's the shield vs Wyatt's/Orton

Taker will challenge Styles for the title after tlc

They might start something with y2j and KO (as he destroyed Jericho's list last night) and they will face off at RR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Part-timer gets beat by even parter-timer. On the one hand it was a great moment, but on the other hand where do you really go from there? Goldberg was talking like he wouldn't be sticking around much. You could have a rematch between the two, but you kind of know how it would go with Brock getting his win back, even if it's by crook.

On the other other hand, nobody else would have been believable in kayfabe beating Brock.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Brock Lesnar, what a jobber :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i loved it im tired of brock at this stage and this came out of nowhere and im interested to were they go from here.

On people mentioning the streak that was devalued the minute they didnt follow through with roman beating brock.

Beating taker and cena like he did was clearly setting up a new face to appear and beat him they just chose the wrong one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2sb1non.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Thought it was a really good PPV overall

I can't believe the men's 5-on-5 lasted nearly an hour. Slightly overbooked but the time flew by

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have never felt so much like I should hate a show, but yet utterly love it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Virtanen wrote: »
    I can't believe the men's 5-on-5 lasted nearly an hour. Slightly overbooked but the time flew by

Really loved it. Something very Royal Rumble-y about it. So many spots that were perfect.

Know it's being extremely nip picky but I kind of wished the Goldberg/Lesnar was more of a blitz. Was a surprise but a 100mph squash would have been better than the plodding squash that they did.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I have never felt so much like I should hate a show, but yet utterly love it...

This actually sums it up for me. Don't wanna analyse each thing because as is I actually quite enjoyed things, The main event is probably the perfect example of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ive just watched it, and while i had a feeling how it would go, i know that it makes no sense, but i freaking loved that main event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been reflecting some more on that main event result. When it happened I popped big for the finish. Then when the dust settled I realised my favourite character in wrestling at the moment had just been destroyed by a guy supposedly in his final match - it didn't make sense to me business-wise.

But now that it's emerged Goldberg is staying on for future dates and that Brock won't be 'last', I'm totally fine with that finish. After all, it would make no sense to sign Goldberg up for future matches if he had just been beaten last night. The aura and mystique of Goldberg is centred around 'who can stop him?' and if Brock had stopped him last night, well there would have been no aura and no reason to see more of him.

And leaving aside the booking side of things, just looking at it from a fan point of view, it's an awesome homage to his WCW run where he bulldozed through guys like The Giant in super fast time. I feel WWE have done so much better these past few weeks with Goldberg than in his first run with them in '03-'04. It was also great that not only did the fans not try to hijack the match last night like I feared, but they actually showed him a lot of support which I did not expect. I think that's a testament to the great work done by Bill and WWE the last few weeks.

Am I concerned that Brock's aura may be tarnished by this? Yes. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed WWE will find a way to make sure he remains the beast and the conqueror in the eyes of the audience.

Also I liked that Bray and Cesaro got to have the spotlight last night too in their matches. I didn't like the Cruiserweights staying on Raw; I thought it was lame the way they did that.

But overall I would give this show a thumbs up and it's probably the most I've enjoyed a Survivor Series since the one where The Rock returned a few years back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I can see them getting at least a Rumble rematch (Lesnar wins) and a Wrestlemania match where Goldberg gets another big win vs someone like Rusev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Ive just watched it, and while i had a feeling how it would go, i know that it makes no sense, but i freaking loved that main event

Iv'e calmed down a bit, while i say i had a feeling how it would go, it was because of his son, and the reports of him staying on, i didnt expect the quickness of the match obviously but it works as its Bill Goldbeg who beat him, and I expect Heyman will say he hit the spear as Lesnar was getting up and he is a coward and Lesnar had no chance of a fair fight and we have the rematch

As for the rest of the Show, i enjoyed it, best wwe ppv in a good while for me and leaves questions for both shows this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I gave it an 8. They kept me entertained for the majority of the long show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Main event was a let down. when I seen it was a squash and given the rumours of a big storyline I was waiting for something to happen. Then when he brought his son into the ring I expected something to happen but it just cut off. All a bit flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I have Bobby Heenans voice in my head roaring ...:That why they call him....DA MAN!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Think this finish made more sense than Goldberg winning in a 15-20 min match. Brock was cocky, didn't expect much from Goldberg and got caught napping. Wouldn't be a surprise if Brock squashed Goldberg at the RR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

After building Brock up as unstoppable monster for the last few years they have a guy who's almost 50 come in and destroy him in 60 seconds.

Baffling stuff, ruins Lesnars "credibility".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

mdwexford wrote: »
    After building Brock up as unstoppable monster for the last few years they have a guy who's almost 50 come in and destroy him in 60 seconds.

Baffling stuff, ruins Lesnars "credibility".

It doesn't. It just breaks his air of invincibility, which was sorely needed.

Advertisement