Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite/least favourite races and bad guys

Options
  • 12-10-2016 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Had a thread about this in the Star Trek forum about races.

In the Doctor Who universe which race do you love seeing in screen in an episode and which race do you go 'meh'

I enjoy the Daleks, I think they have stayed pretty close to the original roots and style. They haven't really modernised with the times (even the new paradigm are similar to original Salem behaviour)

I prefer the Original Cybermen to the parallel Earth version, they are like Borg on Steroids.

My favourite are the Weeping Angels. Creepy f*ckers and great episodes with them.

My least favourite or uninterested in would be the Sontarans. Just like giant mutated potatoes bent on conquest.

How about you?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say my least favourite are the Daleks, if only because thanks to the contractual obligation that they appear every season, and like the Borg in Star Trek, their presence doesn't surprise or frighten anymore. That said, the recent Davros story was excellent, but that was mostly due to Davros himself rather than his creations.

It's funny you mention the Weeping Angels, because they're quickly become much like the Daleks, neutered through overuse.

Favourite? I love the Silurians and / or Ice Warriors, because they've tended to be portrayed more as characters than being generic antagonists chasing people down corridors. The Silurians in particular have had a unique angle, given they have a rightful claim on Earth as valid as Humanity. Of course, Vastra heads what is arguably the best group in Dr. Who yet to get a spin-off

I actually quite like the Sontarans, or at least the older versions, but they've become a joke race now, mostly thanks to the aforementioned Paternoster Gang really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I want the original Cybermen back so much. I get excited every time I see one without a C on their chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They could bring back on of those creepy one off villains like:

Satan

House

Midnight Entity

Fisher King.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had to google Fisher King to remind myself who that was; did he really do a whole lot beyond stand around and make threats? House would make a good candidate for a return though; a malevolent entity that can eat TARDISes would make for a very dangerous villain.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had to google Fisher King to remind myself who that was; did he really do a whole lot beyond stand around and make threats? House would make a good candidate for a return though; a malevolent entity that can eat TARDISes would make for a very dangerous villain.

I remember reading that originally House was actually going to be revealed as The Great Intelligence. But the idea was scrapped last minute.

• Advertisement

I remember reading that originally House was actually going to be revealed as The Great Intelligence. But the idea was scrapped last minute.

I wonder why the decision to change. Dr. Who does seem to lack decent new villains, might make for an interesting arc if the Dr. has to stay one step ahead of a malevolent force trying to consume his TARDIS. If Gallifrey ever properly returned it'd be a good way to work in another threat to that planet too.

I was going to add the Zygons to the my list of favourites, their original Loch Ness based appearance being Dr. Who at its schlocky best, but not sure how I feel about their subsequent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Faves: I loved the Sea Devils and would really like to see them updated. Always enjoy seeing the Daleks. Weeping Angels were a clever construct but i think its in danger of being over played.

Dislikes: Adipose, Slytheen, New Cybermen (by new i mean any of them from the reboot)

I tend to think the episodes without the aliens are the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Longtime Dr.Who fan from the late 1960s when I'd hide behind the couch during some of the 'scary' scenes, but who finds the present incarnations of the Cybermen and Daleks hard to warm to. What idiot thought that changing the appearance of the cybermen into a generic robots would be a good idea? The clue is in the name and the present robots are not in any way sinister or humanoid unlike their predecessors. :(

They could do another episode with some of the lesser seen villains or entities such as the Vashta Nerada, The Mara, The Nimons, The Rutan, The Black Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Weeping Angels are my current favourite, though they were lessened for me in that episode where we saw them slowly move (was it the Byzantium one?). The whole point of them is they can't move if seen, and while I'm sure the episode explained why they were visibly moving (leaking time, the crack, or something like that) I just didn't like it at all...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

jasonb wrote: »
    Weeping Angels are my current favourite, though they were lessened for me in that episode where we saw them slowly move (was it the Byzantium one?). The whole point of them is they can't move if seen, and while I'm sure the episode explained why they were visibly moving (leaking time, the crack, or something like that) I just didn't like it at all...

J.
    My problem with the Weeping Angels is that all their evil plans could be defeated if a caterpillar happens to wander by and look at them at the wrong time :S

Advertisement