Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT for windows sourced in the North

Options
  • 12-10-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi
    sorry if this has been asked before but:
    what is the story with VAT if we use a window company (supply & fit) from Northern Ireland?
    Our project (if it makes any difference) is not a new build, but as good as.
    A decrepit old house completely gutted with large new extension added.
    Many Thanks
    Cookie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

They'll charge you VAT and you'll have to pay it. Unless you're VAT registered here which is applicable cross border within EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

You pay the standard UK VAT rate, currently 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cookiepus

Thanks Lads
    So its + 20%
    we have builder running the project
    would it make any difference if he made the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Regardless the VAT would pass through to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

My understanding is the UK provider applies Irish VAT i.e. 23% if he supplies them only and 13.5% if he fits them.

• Advertisement

Cookiepus wrote: »
    Thanks Lads
    So its + 20%
    we have builder running the project
    would it make any difference if he made the order?

Assuming he's registered for VAT here in the South, he can purchase the goods at 0% from UK.

He then adds on a margin for his profit, fits them and charges you 13.5%

Discuss this and get a price from the Builder.

If you buy them, who will fit?

My understanding is the UK provider applies Irish VAT i.e. 23% if he supplies them only and 13.5% if he fits them.

Only if he operates part of his business here in the South, is registered here for Irish VAT, and pays his Irish Taxes here in the South

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

martinn123 wrote: »
    Only if he operates part of his business here in the South, is registered here for Irish VAT, and pays his Irish Taxes here in the South
    What if he's supplying and fitting the windows but isn't registered for Irish VAT? It could be a one-off job and he's under the threshold which requires him to register for Irish VAT. Does that mean he doesn't have to charge VAT?

What if he's supplying and fitting the windows but isn't registered for Irish VAT? It could be a one-off job and he's under the threshold which requires him to register for Irish VAT. Does that mean he doesn't have to charge VAT?

At the UK Rate of 20% , yes, assuming he's registered in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 house2013

I don't mean to hijack the thread but this has raised an interesting issue for me.

If our builder is supplying & fitting velux windows (Irish Contractor and Registered for VAT) do we pay 13.5% VAT or 23% VAT?

• Advertisement

house2013 wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but this has raised an interesting issue for me.

If our builder is supplying & fitting velux windows (Irish Contractor and Registered for VAT) do we pay 13.5% VAT or 23% VAT?

13.5%, supply and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

Apologies for going off topic but - did you notice a saving to be had with the Windows from the North or why did you decide to get them there?

We are looking to order windows soon ourselves and have been quoted in the region of 17,000 for windows by several Irish companies.

Best of luck with your Job,

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

223vmax wrote: »
    Regardless the VAT would pass through to you....

If he's bar registered he won't have to pay the VAT and with the 2/3 rule he can charge out the service VAT rates of 13.5%
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/mixed-supplies-goods-services.html#section7-6

Advertisement