Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike thread mk.2

Options
  • 12-10-2016 3:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i'm looking to get a road bike with the bike to work scheme, and am trying to decide on a few options. It'll mostly be used to exercise and my commute, but i would like to start doing some distance cycling to get fitter. Maybe a triathlon or two in the next few months as well. I don't know a huge amount about what components are the best, but the only real requirement i have is that it has disc brakes.

Giant Revolt 2 (€1199) - Looks different, but i like it the look of it and Giant always seem reliable enough.

Giant Defy 2 (€1199) - More traditional looks, and seems decent from the reviews i've read.

Cube Cross Race (€1099) - Been a while since i've had a Cube, but this looks good as well.

Any other recommendations for a bike around the €1000 mark? I'd go Canyon, but they don't support the bike to work scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Kiith wrote: »
    So i'm looking to get a road bike with the bike to work scheme, and am trying to decide on a few options. It'll mostly be used to exercise and my commute, but i would like to start doing some distance cycling to get fitter. Maybe a triathlon or two in the next few months as well. I don't know a huge amount about what components are the best, but the only real requirement i have is that it has disc brakes.

Giant Revolt 2 (€1199) - Looks different, but i like it the look of it and Giant always seem reliable enough.

Giant Defy 2 (€1199) - More traditional looks, and seems decent from the reviews i've read.

Cube Cross Race (€1099) - Been a while since i've had a Cube, but this looks good as well.

Any other recommendations for a bike around the €1000 mark? I'd go Canyon, but they don't support the bike to work scheme.

Can't comment specifically on any of the models you've chosen, but I note you're comparing 2 cross bikes with one road bike - have you decided on what type of bike you want (road/cross) beforehand, or open to suggestions from either type?

Also, on the bolded, Canyon don't really give a toss about the BTW scheme, but you can get a bike from them on it so long as your employer is willing to purchase from them (e.g. you're out of luck if they use a voucher scheme), as they are registered for Irish VAT and that is the only real requirement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While I use a cross bike as my main bike myself, it is only really of benefit if you're going to be taking it off road now and again. Could be a good option if you're thinking of adventure racing in addition to tri, but a road bike is the way to go if you'll be on the road 100% of the time. For internet options, Rose and Ribble are also worth a look.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I would like to be able to take it off road, so the cross bike would probably suit me best. I'll take a look at Rose and Ribble as well. Saw some Kona's in cyclesuperstore today, and there were some good ones there. Not the best looking, but i was told they are one of the best for bang for your buck.
    cython wrote: »
    (e.g. you're out of luck if they use a voucher scheme), as they are registered for Irish VAT and that is the only real requirement.

It is a voucher scheme unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Kiith wrote: »
    Maybe a triathlon or two in the next few months as well.

Seasons over see ya next year :)

I'd have a look at the cube bikes they get good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

I had awful trouble with my job and the btw scheme some places only did vouchers which my job did not or if the company was online they didn't want to know!
    I suppose it would be better if whoever dealt with processing had interest in cycling..... But Considering your going the voucher route why not consider.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=212536&productId=1173721&storeId=11101

Probably swing another 10% with axa card or a friendly groupscheme voucher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looks like a fun bike and great value, I really like the idea of a 1x11 wide range drive train, though I imagine many people would find it too gappy. Other downside is that the 10-42 cassettes are still quite expensive for an item you could be changing every now and again if you're going off road.

Advertisement