Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chose the wrong course. What are my options?

Options
  • 12-10-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm studying Business in WIT. A few weeks in I realised I have absolutely no interest in any of what I'm studying. Most of the lectures I've been to were basic, slow moving and unproductive. We do nothing. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but the course so far has just been a joke. All we have done is Junior Cert level Maths and Business, with a few computers classes mixed in. I stopped attending those after our lecturer spent an entire hour explaining how to do bullet points in Microsoft Word, and followed that up with another hour explaining how to do spaces using the tab key.

I chose the course thinking I was being smart, that I would get a good career out of it. I realise now it was a stupid choice, and it will be a very long four years if I stick with this.

I asked to transfer to an Arts course, also in WIT, but they told me it was past the deadline to transfer.
    At this point I really don't know what to do. I'm sticking with the course, completing assignments and everything, but I don't want to be here at all.

I don't know what I want to study. In fifth and sixth year I changed my mind so much that I probably went through half the courses in the country before settling for Business. Even now, I'm not sure what I want to do. Everyone keeps telling me that college and education are the most important things that I should be focusing on, so I'm trying to do that but it isn't working out at all. Even when I started in September, everyone else seemed so excited about it and I could see that, but felt completely disinterested.

I was thinking maybe a different college? But my options are very limited by the fact I didn't do Irish or a third language. WIT seems like it is as good as it gets. I got 365 in the Leaving, so I have a few options, I was thinking something to do with English as it was a subject I enjoyed in secondary, but I am worried it will just be the same thing, particularly in WIT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Welcome to Wobble Week.

Seriously, ask your Student Services. This is Wobble Week where students like yourself realise that they are unhappy with the choice they have made.

So the first thing to appreciate is that you are not alone. It is not uncommon for students to feel this way.

I would suggest that you get in there and talk to somebody - a lecturer, Student Services, the course leader, Head of School, anybody. They are nice people. They will be concerned that you are unhappy.

Another thing I would say is that it sounds like your course is a slow burner that will take time to build up steam. Perhaps give it until the end of semester?

You most likely won't be accepted into another institution at this late stage, so I reiterate - go in and talk to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

If you get good enough grades, you may be able to switch to another college but it depends on a lot of factors.

Advertisement