Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving long term rental

Options
  • 12-10-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I would appreciate thoughts on my current situation.

I have decided to leave my current apt - been there for 9 years. Love it there but there have been some recent issues with the Management Company.

I nearly have my new accommodation sourced but haven't given notice to my current LL yet. I know he will be shocked so I am concerned he will give me a bad reference/no reference. All rent is paid and I wont be looking for my deposit. I am happy to paid next months rent even though I hope to leave my 31st October. All bills are in credit.

I have just had enough and I hope for a nice swift move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I would appreciate thoughts on my current situation.

I have decided to leave my current apt - been there for 9 years. Love it there but there have been some recent issues with the Management Company.

I nearly have my new accommodation sourced but haven't given notice to my current LL yet. I know he will be shocked so I am concerned he will give me a bad reference/no reference. All rent is paid and I wont be looking for my deposit. I am happy to paid next months rent even though I hope to leave my 31st October. All bills are in credit.

I have just had enough and I hope for a nice swift move.

Your LL is highly unlikely to give you a bad reference just because he is disappointed you are leaving. He would potentially open himself to difficulties if he did so without any proper basis.

You should be looking for your deposit back unless there are proper grounds for it to be retained (damage etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Since you are there over 8 years, you are required to give 16 weeks (112 days) notice. See below.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

Of course, you and your landlord can come to an agreement for less notice, but he is entitled to require the full notice period.

You should have no issues getting a decent reference. As for deposit, that will depend on the condition of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 staceyryan80

I wont be looking for the deposit at all - I am happy for him to keep it. He kept the rent low for years. There would be general wear and tear and the apt is old anyway.

I actually paid the deposit to a letting agent years who has since gone into liquidation.

Again I have happy to pay whatever rent he feels is owing - really just want to leave now.

My only concern is the reference and leaving as smoothly as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No point in asking the Internet. Ask your landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Surely if you've been there 9 years, rent paid, you should be the perfect example of someone a landlord would be happy to give a good ref for, whilst unhappy to lose as a tenant . As such i wouldnt penalise you for short notice. Give and take.

Unless you've demolished the place, 9 years living, paid rent and wear and tear would be an automatic return of initial deposit in my book as a decent landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

He kept the rent low for years.

The landlord might be pleased you're leaving if he's currently charging you below market rent. As others have suggested, talk to your landlord.

Advertisement