Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way distance

Options
  • 12-10-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the exact distance along the Wicklow way from Marlay park to Boranaralty Bridge ( Close to Johnny Foxes ) Looking at the map I would hazard a guess of ten K.
    Planning to walk as far as Roundwood along WW on Saturday but wont get going until lunchtime so to avoid a very long day and late finish it might be best to cut off the first few K around three rock and start at the bridge.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DeltaOp

8km give or take a few metres from marley park to the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

More like 11 km by my reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I make it 7.5k from Kilmashogue car park barrier to that bridge, as I did it earlier in the summer and I checked garmin, so an extra 1.5k to 2k depending on where you were starting from in Marlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Going from my GPX files, it's 3.2km from the official starting point in Marlay Park to the entrance at Kilmashogue and another 7.8km to Boranaraltry Bridge, so 11km in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Thanks for all the replies . We had three great days hiking on the trail and despite the dire weather forecast it actually rained for less than an hour altogether .
    If its of help to anyone planning a trip the following are the distances covered .
    Day one Boranaralty Bridge to Roundwood ( Coach house ) = 19.1 Miles = 30.7 K
    Day two . Roundwood to Glenmalure Lodge = 17.8 Miles = 28.6 K
    Day three . Glenmalure lodge to Fentons via the Zig zag rout = 11 Miles = 17.7 K

Blackvalley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

How was your Day 2 hiking compared to Day 1 it terms of ascent/time?

I'm planning on completing the WW in December but condensing it into 4 days. I am wondering if i'm biting off a bit too much, my plan below is long day followed by short day but if there's a lot of climbing in Day2 might have to only go to Glendalough.

Day 1; Marlay Park to RW (43k)
    Day 2; RW to Glenmalure (29k)
    Day 3; Glenmalure to Shillelagh (42k)
    Day 4; Shillelagh to Bunclody (25k)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Thinking of doing this myself, not getting any younger. Where do you plan to stay overnight?

And, how well is the walking route sign-posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

I can only speak to the route between Marlay Park and Roundwood. The route tends to be pretty well marked but there's a few spots where it's intersected by roads that aren't overly clear. Worth having a basic route map with you if in doubt.

The Wicklow Way website is pretty good for a recommended accomodation and day legs, it recommends to do it in 7 legs.

http://www.wicklowway.com/

My plan on accommodation would be;

Day KM Leg Stay Link
    Day 1 43 Marlay Park to Roundwood Stay in Roundwood http://thecoachhouse.ie/
    Day 2 29 Roundwood to Glenmalure Stay in Glenmalure http://www.glenmalurelodge.ie/bed-breakfast
    Day 3 42 Glenmalure to Shillelagh Stay in Shillelagh http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/bed-breakfeast
    Day 4 25 Shillelagh to Bunclody Taxi to Enniscorthy, Bus to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

How was your Day 2 hiking compared to Day 1 it terms of ascent/time?

I'm planning on completing the WW in December but condensing it into 4 days. I am wondering if i'm biting off a bit too much, my plan below is long day followed by short day but if there's a lot of climbing in Day2 might have to only go to Glendalough.

Day 1; Marlay Park to RW (43k)
    Day 2; RW to Glenmalure (29k)
    Day 3; Glenmalure to Shillelagh (42k)
    Day 4; Shillelagh to Bunclody (25k)
    Without looking at exact stats I consider day two to be much easier than day one in terms of the amount of climbing involved. The section from Roundwood to Glendalough has very little climbing .All the effort is concentrated in the last pull up out of Glendalough to the base of Mullacour and then it's downhill all the way.
    It's difficult to give good advice without knowing the fitness level of those involved but you definitely will have tired legs on the morning of day two. Our moving speed of 3.3 MPH was exactly the same for both days but as you can see we don't walk as far on day one as you are planning
    Hope this is of some help.

Advertisement