Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A beginner weight workout

• 12-10-2016 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea where to find a good beginner workout plan.

I find the biggest loss of motivation is the feeling that I'm not doing the right workout.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Strong lifts 5x5. Gives you a great base to start from. Start light and get your form right. You will be adding on weight each workout and gets tough quick.
    What is it you want to do? Bulk up, lose weight, fitness? The real battle is won in the kitchen for any goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

idnkph wrote: »
    Strong lifts 5x5. Gives you a great base to start from. Start light and get your form right. You will be adding on weight each workout and gets tough quick.
    What is it you want to do? Bulk up, lose weight, fitness? The real battle is won in the kitchen for any goals.

Thanks for the reply. What exactly is 5x5 strong lifts. Im currently following Slimming world diet and Ive lost about a stone. Now I know a lot don't like certain diets but it's mainly about cutting out scrap and excessive bread.
    My main aim would be lose about another few pounds and then tone up.

Google S L 5x5. Very easy and basic but with adding on the weight each week it soon gets serious.
    If your starting a weight training programme I wouldn't be watching the scales each week.
    Keep eating whole foods and plenty of protein. No processed crap. Plenty of water. No fizzy zero style drinks. They are empty calories.
    Well done on the weight loss so far. Keep the good work going.

Google S L 5x5. Very easy and basic but with adding on the weight each week it soon gets serious.
    If your starting a weight training programme I wouldn't be watching the scales each week.
    Keep eating whole foods and plenty of protein. No processed crap. Plenty of water. No fizzy zero style drinks. They are empty calories.
    Well done on the weight loss so far. Keep the good work going.

Yeah, the slimming world diet isn't a long term thing. True about the scales, muscle weighs more than fat and tbh the mirror is good enough scale. If your happy with how you look then your weight should be grand. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where to find a good beginner workout plan.

I find the biggest loss of motivation is the feeling that I'm not doing the right workout.

Any advice?

What are you goals?
    Do you have a gym to go to? or are you doing it at home.
    No fizzy zero style drinks. They are empty calories.
    That makes very little sense if you think about it.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote:
    What are you goals? Do you have a gym to go to? or are you doing it at home.

I have a gym available and my goals would be tone my core and define my muscles. No need for massive bulking but not against it.

If you want to, or are willing to do a weights program. I'd go with;

With the ice cream fitness option, I'd drop the curls from workout A, and change the bent over rows (-10%) in workout B to pull ups.

Mellor wrote:
    That makes very little sense if you think about it.

I heard it being put that way by a few professional athletes before over the years but Shur what would they know??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

idnkph wrote:
    I heard it being put that way by a few professional athletes before over the years but Shur what would they know??

Zero style drinks are not empty calories they are zero calories. A can of coke zero is not what makes you fat.

I really doubt they said that.
    And if they did, they were just parroting something else without understanding it.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Zero style drinks are not empty calories they are zero calories.
    Exactly.

How can a drink with no calories be "empty calories".
    By that logic, water is the empty calorie.

• Advertisement

I think idnkph meant that even tho they won't add weight, they aren't good to be drinking.

Mr Arrior wrote:
    I think idnkph meant that even tho they won't add weight, they aren't good to be drinking.

Exactly what I meant. But this is boards and people on here love picking your every word apart to try and make themselves feel superior. Narcissistic reinforcement of the self ya know.
    If you don't post that often then you obviously haven't a clue.
    Iv seen lads on here defending stories about lads on steroids because obviously if they take steroids then they are far more serious about training than the old Joe soap.... says it all about how boards has gone in recent times.... and that's most forums on here not just this one. (I'll probably get a warning or banned now for not conforming or post will be deleted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

While a zero calorie drink can't by itself lead to fat gain there is some interesting stuff out there on it's effect on satiety, gut microbiota, leptin reduction without fat reduction ( a complete kick in the balls if fat loss is a goal). Tome magazine had an article a year or so ago about topic

https://goo.gl/tUO6Zc

We are enticed to eat any food by feedback signaling relative to the reward of eating a given food; factors that effect that include calorie density, sugar/fat/salt/starch content, texture. A food engineered to bypass this well developed system should at the very least be used with caution rather than get "ah it's zero calories so harmless treatment".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Exactly what I meant. But this is boards and people on here love picking your every word apart to try and make themselves feel superior. Narcissistic reinforcement of the self ya know.
    If you don't post that often then you obviously haven't a clue.
    Iv seen lads on here defending stories about lads on steroids because obviously if they take steroids then they are far more serious about training than the old Joe soap.... says it all about how boards has gone in recent times.... and that's most forums on here not just this one. (I'll probably get a warning or banned now for not conforming or post will be deleted).

You could just concede that describing a drink with no calories as "empty calories" doesn't make sense and move on. But no, I'm sure boards.ie is the problem.

So you meant something else, not empty calories. Thats fair enough.
    I wonder what all those professional athletes meant?

And yeah, of course, everyone is on steroids, etc

Zillah wrote:
    You could just concede that describing a drink with no calories as "empty calories" doesn't make sense and move on. But no, I'm sure boards.ie is the problem.[/quote

Boards.ie is not the problem... it's the power hungry mods and narcissistic self reinforcers that are the problem.... oh and the brown nosers that jump in with their "empty calorific" posts in the hope of gaining respect from the clique.
    One athlete I remember saying it was a front row player for Ireland. I'm sure he picked it up from some Ejit that was employed by leinster or even Ireland who was a professional by trade as a dietitian or nutritional advisor who said it to him or maybe he picked it up off a forum full of know it alls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

You could just concede that describing a drink with no calories as "empty calories" doesn't make sense and move on. But no, I'm sure boards.ie is the problem.[/quote

Boards.ie is not the problem... it's the power hungry mods and narcissistic self reinforcers that are the problem.... oh and the brown nosers that jump in with their "empty calorific" posts in the hope of gaining respect from the clique.
    One athlete I remember saying it was a front row player for Ireland. I'm sure he picked it up from some Ejit that was employed by leinster or even Ireland who was a professional by trade as a dietitian or nutritional advisor who said it to him or maybe he picked it up off a forum full of know it alls....

EDGEY AF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Might as well go all out...

HITLER!!!

HITLER!!!

He was a gas man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

lol wait so you're still trying to maintain that you're in the right?

"Empty calories" is used to describe food that has high calories and no other nutritional content, like protein, fibre, and micro-nutrients; like soft drinks, for example. Lots of sugar, not much else.

Given that there are no calories in artificially sweetened drinks applying the expression makes no sense. You're probably misremembering whatever it is you're referring to.

So you can just give it up and accept - even quietly to yourself - that you said something that makes no sense, or you can keep implying that there's something wrong with all of us. Dig up, silly.

Zillah wrote:
    So you can just give it up and accept - even quietly to yourself - that you said something that makes no sense, or you can keep implying that there's something wrong with all of us. Dig up, silly.

No this is my narcissistic self reinforcement moment! Can I be in your club now??? Pleeeeease????? You lot always make me smile.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mod note: can we stop the bickering and back and forth one liners please? none of it helps the OP!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 cptgav

...I reached the end of the thread and had actually forgotten what the original question was. That was good reading!

For my 2 cents worth I'd add the Strength Standards website. It's probably one of the best resources for beginner/intermediate lifters I've seen, AND it's lots of fun seeing how strong you can be.

strengthstandards.co

I was gonna try the 5x5 but does it matter if the gym I wud be using hasnt got a power rack. Wud it be safe to do it with no support and is the Smiths machine any help? Thanks

I was gonna try the 5x5 but does it matter if the gym I wud be using hasnt got a power rack. Wud it be safe to do it with no support and is the Smiths machine any help? Thanks
    When you say it hasn't got a power rack.
    Do you mean it hasn't got one of these specifically. Or that it hasn't got any sort of barbell rack suitable for squatting.

A smith machine is no good for squatting.

No barbell rack at all.

No barbell rack at all.

With no barbell rack, it'll be difficult to do any sort of squatting.
    You might get away with some dumbbell, kettlebell variants for a while. But you'll quickly outgrow the.

You'll have to find a non-barbell program or one that suits your available equipment.

Im probably going to leave the 5 by 5 for now as it'll be no good without the power or barbell rack. Any other good workouts? My main aim would be to tone up rather than bulk up.

• Advertisement

You could still do the ICF 5 x 5 I suggested above. (post #8)
    The majority of it doesn't require a rack.
    Bench press, Row, shrugs, deadlift, pull ups, arms, core work.

You only need to replace squats.
    Kettlebells, dumbells, bulgarian split squats, hack squats, etc

Mellor wrote:
    You could still do the ICF 5 x 5 I suggested above. (post #8) The majority of it doesn't require a rack. Bench press, Row, shrugs, deadlift, pull ups, arms, core work.
    Mellor wrote:
    You only need to replace squats. Kettlebells, dumbells, bulgarian split squats, hack squats, etc

Would that be good for toning up rather than bulking?

[
    Would that be good for toning up rather than bulking?
    "Toning up" or bulking is decided by your diet.

Eat excess calories to add bulk.
    Cut down calories to burn body fat (toning)

Thanks Mellor for the advice. I was reading through the ICF 5 by 5 and it says Squatting is essential. Is it really a situation that for a successful weight programme, you need a power or barbell rack?

Thanks Mellor for the advice. I was reading through the ICF 5 by 5 and it says Squatting is essential. Is it really a situation that for a successful weight programme, you need a power or barbell rack?

Squatting is often the main lower body lift in a weights program. Some would say that it's essentially.

But a power or barbell rack is not always completely essential to squat.
    If you are a powerlifter with a 200+kg squat, training for comp. Then you need a rack. But as a beginner you have lost of alternatives;

It seems the 5 × 5 is a popular option so I'll workout how it'll suit me best. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I saw this plan and wondered what people thought of it. Thanks

Monday – Leg Day

- Front squat x12
    - Bulgarian split squat x12
    - Barbell back squat x12
    - Smith machine calf ups x12
    - Hip thrusts x12

1 Ghost set & 3 weighted sets
    * 3-minute break between sets

Wednesday – Chest & Triceps

- Overhead pull overs x12
    - Bench Press x12
    - Dumbbell Fly’s x12
    - Triceps Pull Downs single x12 (each arm)
    - Inclined press x12
    - Double triceps rope pull down x12

1 Ghost set & 4 weighted sets
    * 5-minute break between sets

Friday – Back & Biceps

- Galileo pull down (wide) x12
    - Bent over barbell row (wide) x12
    - Close-grip seated cable rows x12
    - Reverse grip pull downs x12
    - Barbell 21’s x12

1 Ghost set & 4 weighted sets
    * 3-minute break between sets

I was looking at the SL 5x5 but I feel this would suit me better, if it was a good plan.

Thanks

Any advice would be appreciated.

What's the ghost set/weighted set business?

What's the ghost set/weighted set business?

Ghost set is without weight, kinda like a warm up. The weighted sets are basically with the weights.

So does that mean 4 sets of 12 with each weight?

• Advertisement

So does that mean 4 sets of 12 with each weight?

Yeah, got it off someone who was happy with it. Just looking for a second opinion.

It's not bad. Balanced enough. Give it a go and see how you get on.

It's not bad. Balanced enough. Give it a go and see how you get on.

Cheers. Will do.

Advertisement