Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to stop being alone

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

My husband travels a lot with work, like a couple of days minimum every week. My mam thinks now she should come and stay everytime he's away. I'm 33 and 4- I think it's too early. Am I right to think it's highly unlikely I'll go very early - the stats are in my side- also I'm not terribly far from the folks or the hospital so I wouldn't get stranded. Anyone else in the same boat ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Unless I needed the help, I'd be very reluctant to have myself landed with a 'minder' tbh. In another 6-8 weeks you might feel differently, but it's real early now.
    With you being so close to the hospital and your folks, just get a solid "emergency plan" in place, with a couple of extra numbers on it, should your parents be uncontactable. Sure worst case scenario, you ring an ambulance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks that's what I figured. At the ante class they kept telling us to labour at home for as long as possible- given the folks are only 35 mins away with. I traffic and I'm around 15/20 mins from hospital even if I went into labour at night I'd have plenty of time??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sleepymissymoo

My husband travels a fair bit with work too and I never bothered having anyone stay with me. Sister lives close enough that I could have called her in an emergency. Maybe closer to your due date you'd prefer to have your mum over but for now probably enough to know you have someone to call in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'll have her later certainly, but I think it's too early. I know I could go early but I would hope some sign or issue would be picked up by the hospital or doctor or I'd have some symptoms. Also I assume it's highly unlikely that I'd go from 0 to needing to be in hospital in under an hour? Like when the midwife tells you to labour at home for as long as possible I assume this is usually many hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

my first was born on her due date and i had a very quick labour but i still had plenty of time to get to the hospital! Had my first pain at 1:30 stayed dozing in bed till 3:30 then things started to get much tougher so left for the hospital and arrived there at 4:30 and she was born at half 7! I was told that was very quick for a first baby! Had i been in your situation i prob would have called parents when pains started and still had loads of time to get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm in the same boat - my husband travels for work pretty much every week. However, he works for himself so that makes him slightly more flexible! On our first baby, he limited his travel to Ireland for about two weeks before, but then she was late anyway. Might be a bit early yet for your mam to come to stay - if you go over, she could be coming and going for the next two months. Once you've a plan in place, you're probably fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I think you're good for now.

My husband is away in Iceland for five days when I'll be 36 weeks and I'm a bit worried about that! It's also the weekend before Christmas so I've asked my sister and best friend to take it in shifts to be sober just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I travel a bit for work too. It varies from month to month but my wife is now 35 weeks so I've basically put a travel ban on myself at work now. Work is about 40 minutes from home and hospital about 30 minutes from there so if anything kicks off there should be plenty of time. From what they said in the antenatal class, the signs should come well before we need to be getting to the hospital anyway so there's a good early warning system. TBH, my plan (if possible) is to work from home once the first signs appear (no point chewing up my paternity leave on half a day of the 1st stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Once you've had a trouble free pregnancy then I think I'd be happier on my own. You'll be probably be delighted to have her once baby arrives but not before. My husband was away for a good few weekends in the final months of my pregnancy but I was only 10 mins drive to the hospital and I figured worst case scenario I'd get my neighbour (who I'm very friendly with) to drive me in or if she wasn't about then I'd call an ambulance if I felt I was too far gone to drive myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I don't think you need a 'minder' either at this stage. Just have your bag packed, always keep enough cash in the house for a taxi, download Halo if you haven't already, ask your folks to keep their phone on at night and just make general preparations like that should you, in the very unlikely event, go very early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Its probably a bit early alright beanybabog, say closer to the time or afterwards you'll need it more!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My husband travels alot too,not for a few days a week but for 2 weeks here, a few days there etc.
    I put a ban on long distance travel after 34 weeks and to Londom etc after 36 week. So insisted after 36 week that he was in the country!!

Advertisement