Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2017 - May 27th

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

Registration for this opens tomorrow 13th Oct, past participants can reg today.
    It's limited to 3.5k riders. Sold out fast last year.

http://ringofbearacyclekenmare.com

There are two routes 110km and 140km.

Did the 140km last year, a nice challenging route. Have signed up again for the 140km.

Comments

signed up for the 140km, looking forward to it.
    Lovely part of the country

Did it last year will be doing it again next year. Great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Did it this year, was a great event, doing it again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Does anyone else feel that registration fee (55 euro) is too expensive? I regularly participate in charity events (completed 15 year to date) and don t mind paying 20-30 euro but 55 is a lot of money when doing events regularly.

ADW1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel that registration fee (55 euro) is too expensive? I regularly participate in charity events (completed 15 year to date) and don t mind paying 20-30 euro but 55 is a lot of money when doing events regularly.

Ring of Beara is not strictly a charity event. I think they raised 50k last year despite 3,500 participants @ 55euro.

I agree though, it adds up very quickly but I do enjoy this one, very well run, great food stops and the entertainment area at the end was great. Also they put a lot of effort into securing the bikes after the event while you enjoy a pint.

• Advertisement

90% full according to their fb page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Full now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Am I right here......all options to Register says SOLD OUT!!!! And today was the 2nd day it was on sale.. and at that only last years participants were allowed first dibs to register yesterday (Thursday 12th!).

Well... that was quicker than a Garth Brooks concert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Past participants were allowed register yesterday, and anyone else from 9am this morning. I got registered at about 10.30am. Didn't realise it was sold out. What time did it close?

Past participants were allowed register yesterday, and anyone else from 9am this morning. I got registered at about 10.30am. Didn't realise it was sold out. What time did it close?

I registered today around 3pm after finding an email from them advising me that it was opened (I did it last year). Got a text from a mate tonight that it sold out as he was trying to register sometime after 10pm.

Still surprised at the speed of how it filled....

• Advertisement

Just checked the site, looks to be still open?

http://www.active.com/kenmare-countykerry/cycling/races/ring-of-beara-cycle-kenmare-2017

Sorry you're right, all options sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

6 from my club got registerered, thanks to Boscoirl for the alert as I then texted them all to register quick.
    I have one member that taught he could leave it until the night to register and he missed out on a ticket.

2500 past participants bought tickets on the pre-release. So only left 1000 for newbies. It's an exclusive event :D

(however if you had access to the priority link you could have shared it with anyone)

There's a waiting list!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

I just seen the waiting list thing aswell. Is it sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Funny how the Rebel Tour takes so much longer to sell out and this one is full in 2 days. Both on the same terrain. Good luck to the organisers they are clearly doing something right.

lissard wrote: »
    Funny how the Rebel Tour takes so much longer to sell out and this one is full in 2 days. Both on the same terrain. Good luck to the organisers they are clearly doing something right.

They are advertising it well, that's the difference. Compare the two websites, compare the social media pushing, compare the event on the day. It's easy to see why Ring of Beara is selling out quickly.

I reckon they are also winning over alot of people (such as me) that are fed up with the Ring of Kerry robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

I heard good things about this cycle so I added myself to the waiting.

Does anyone know how much the registration cost for the 110km route? I couldn't find this info on the site.

€55 plus €4 online registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

€55 plus €4 online registration fee.

Getting expensive for these events. €60 basically. I think €40 is plenty for these events. Once I see 'charity' now I tend to avoid. Adds on an extra 20 or 30 eur.

Is there a free jersey or a medal afterwards for finishing? I registered, found it expensive and said I'll do it the once as tour de connemera is on that weekend and ive that done twice so wanted a change.

• Advertisement

jamesd wrote: »
    Is there a free jersey or a medal afterwards for finishing? I registered, found it expensive and said I'll do it the once as tour de connemera is on that weekend and ive that done twice so wanted a change.

Medal, yes. Jersey, no. That said, even if I got the jersey for free, I wouldn't wear it. It's not nice (assuming it's unchanged as they have kept the design since it started)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not surprised it sold out to mostly previous participants. The weather this year was glorious and the day will live long in the memory. Myself and five lads who did it this year are all booked up again.

Though accommodation is proving pain with grossly inflated prices everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Dades wrote: »

Well. Beara is there all year round. Get your mates together any other weekend and do it for a fraction of the price. :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Well. Beara is there all year round. Get your mates together any other weekend and do it for a fraction of the price. :)

The atmosphere with 3500 is alot better though.

Dades wrote: »
    Not surprised it sold out to mostly previous participants. The weather this year was glorious and the day will live long in the memory. Myself and five lads who did it this year are all booked up again.

Killarney is only 40kms away on pretty good roads. Plenty of choice there...u just need to draw straws for the Designated Driver! You have a 1 in 6 chance of losing...

Masala wrote: »
    Killarney is only 40kms away on pretty good roads. Plenty of choice there...u just need to draw straws for the Designated Driver! You have a 1 in 5 chance of losing...
    The gleneagle have rooms still or BnB's, we are after renting a 7 berth camper out and will drive down the drive night from galway, sleep there and after the cycle drive home again in it - road trip and cheaper than a bnb or hotel room.

The gleneagle have rooms still or BnB's, we are after renting a 7 berth camper out and will drive down the drive night from galway, sleep there and after the cycle drive home again in it - road trip and cheaper than a bnb or hotel room.

Would you not stay the night after the cycle? Crazy stuff driving back!

Would you not stay the night after the cycle? Crazy stuff driving back!

Normally would but we have 2 lads that can drive the camper back up so should be grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Normally would but we have 2 lads that can drive the camper back up so should be grand.
    The point is you miss the best night out in Kenmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Masala wrote: »
    Am I right here......all options to Register says SOLD OUT!!!! And today was the 2nd day it was on sale.. and at that only last years participants were allowed first dibs to register yesterday (Thursday 12th!).

Well... that was quicker than a Garth Brooks concert!!
    I just seen the waiting list thing aswell. Is it sold out?

Christ, you need to be quick these days. A guy with a Satchel full of stickers and cash like the good old days.:( They should be a bit more laid back re numbers. Health & Safety etc etc.

Advertisement