Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2017 - May 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Is there an actual ticket with a barcode for this. All I got was an email confirming registration with an id number.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Post deleted

All requests for entries should be made within this thread

Please read the Cycling Adverts Charter before posting there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Any good updates on the weather forecast for the Cycle??

Am hearing rain and wind!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

From yr.no last night. Would be deliriously happy if that was turned out to be correct.

18643920_10212365404797411_1029756296_n.png?oh=755a9473a5f2edcee92b4e751154ee9b&oe=5927D032

Masala wrote: »
    Any good updates on the weather forecast for the Cycle??

Am hearing rain and wind!!!!!!

Looks to be a small wind with a chance of rain. Forecast could change over next day or so.

Looking forward to the spin, really enjoyed it last year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Looks like heavy rain overnight friday and showers on saturday. Expect anything down in Kerry. Windyty is as good a site as any for accurate forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

My first time doing Beara, looking forward to it as a change from Connemera this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

are there official start times or do you just go when you want? I am set to depart from Glengarriff but would like to get to Kenmare in or around when most people start there so that I am in a decent sized group for most of the day. Anyone know how it works and what cyclists typically do? Also I registered for the 140km but assume I can chicken out at the turn for Castletownbere if I want?

BailMeOut wrote:
    are there official start times or do you just go when you want? I am set to depart from Glengarriff but would like to get to Kenmare in or around when most people start there so that I am in a decent sized group for most of the day. Anyone know how it works and what cyclists typically do? Also I registered for the 140km but assume I can chicken out at the turn for Castletownbere if I want?

It's been a start when you like setup for the last two years, from kenmare anyway. It avoids any kind of congestion. Works very well so I cant imagine it being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

BailMeOut wrote: »

No you won't be allowed in! Gardai and marshalls will be on the bridge strictly to turn the glengarriff and Ctb cyclists to the left at the bridge. Kenmare will be packed enough already without more people coming in!
    However there's nothing stopping you waiting somewhere along the route(food stop,etc.)to wait for a 'bigger' group!

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »

There was a turn with arrows for 110 and the 140 last year. You can bypass the 140 if you want.

I would highly recommend the Allihies section if you have the legs the scenery is fantastic. Some serious little kicks though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

"ronoc wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the Allihies section if you have the legs the scenery is fantastic. Some serious little kicks though :D

I know that section quite well from the Rebel but from other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

Does anyone know if you have to pay five euro for insurance when you are collecting your tag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Looks like heavy rain overnight friday and showers on saturday. Expect anything down in Kerry. Windyty is as good a site as any for accurate forecasts.

Ah heor fiend- only about 7.3% of it is in Ker-re, de rest is in Corrk. Boi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

EletricMan wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to pay five euro for insurance when you are collecting your tag?

Nope, wasnt asked.

Absolutely bucketing it down! Hope it clears for the start :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

jon1981 wrote: »
    Absolutely bucketing it down! Hope it clears for the start :/

Same here.... and like a kid before a school tour - I can't get to sleep!

Masala wrote: »
    Same here.... and like a kid before a school tour - I can't get to sleep!

If it's any consolation i got about 1 hour sleep in total, that rain!!

Rain just stopped and the rainfall radar looks good. Maybe a gilet instead of full raincoat.

Sun cream time in Castletownbere

top of Caha:

Caha.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

What a day!

Stunning weather and scenery to match.

The weather gods smiled on us, driving down from Cork the rain was steady, just around 7 am it eased off and was gone by 8. No rain gear needed and we set off with the masses around 8.15. Did the 110. I wonder is it becoming RoK like, the roads were so crowded there was only inches between large fast moving groups of cyclists, many on the wrong side of the road. Stewards made a few call outs but there was nowhere to go. Pure luck there no one hurt in some kind of collision.
    The event was superbly organised, good signage/stewarding, plenty of support if needed. Food stops plentiful and a lovely buzz around the course. Back in Kenmare the same good natured banter, and the physios/masseur was kept busy. Nice commerative medal as well so all and all we enjoyed the day, just that concern about numbers/safety.

Started in an overcast Castletownbere, the rest of the day the sun was splitting the tarmac. Got burned to a crisp on the 140km route. Fantastic day out. Got up the ramps reasonably well. Stunning scenery in this weather. Will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Really enjoyed this 140km today, a lot of climbing but scenery made it worth it. Well ran event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Guy at work couldn't do cycle Thursday so offered the entry to me ...) so I did 110 .

Absolutely loved it . regreted not being able to do 140 . I'd just not done enough training I felt .

Think I made right decision but defo going to do it next year and train hard for it.

Great day out , the weather was beautiful!!!! Had my doubts at 6am tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

A few bad accidents occurred on the 140km yesterday. Saw one lad at the side of the road on the descent before Achilles in a bad way ambulance was on his way to him. Then I saw a girl down on the ground on the descent off Caha pass , it looked very nasty. There was a lad down also about a few km from the finish into Kenmare. Just hope all involved are OK and don't have any serious injuries from their falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cracking day out, that part of Ireland is magical with the sub shining. Those climbs before Allihies :eek::eek:

The lady who came down on the Caha Pass has posted on their Facebook page saying that she's largely ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭urbanshirl

Really enjoyed the 140k, found it much harder than ROK but probably due to much less training 😂 gearing up for Pedal the Peninsula next as giving ROK a skip this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dufmarie

Seadin wrote: »
    A few bad accidents occurred on the 140km yesterday. Saw one lad at the side of the road on the descent before Achilles in a bad way ambulance was on his way to him. Then I saw a girl down on the ground on the descent off Caha pass , it looked very nasty. There was a lad down also about a few km from the finish into Kenmare. Just hope all involved are OK and don't have any serious injuries from their falls.

"Then I saw a girl down on the ground on the descent off Caha pass , it looked very nasty."

This was me. I'm fine, no broken bones, head neck or back injuries. Just some ligament damage to my collarbone and lots of bruising. All good though I'll recover.
    Thanks for well wishes :)

• Advertisement

Dufmarie wrote: »
    @ Seadin

"Then I saw a girl down on the ground on the descent off Caha pass , it looked very nasty."

This was me. I'm fine, no broken bones, head neck or back injuries. Just some ligament damage to my collarbone and lots of bruising. All good though I'll recover.
    Thanks for well wishes :)

good to hear
    hows the bike?
    :)

Advertisement