Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Beara 2017 - May 27th

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dufmarie

good to hear
    hows the bike?
    :)

Actually I haven't checked my bike. My friends picked it up and brought it home! Ah it can be fixed, not the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

just that concern about numbers/safety.

I started in Castletownbere and there were very few there for the official start. I spent most of the day on my own.

Loved every minute of it though. First time doing it and I will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Seadin wrote: »
    A few bad accidents occurred on the 140km yesterday. Saw one lad at the side of the road on the descent before Achilles in a bad way ambulance was on his way to him. Then I saw a girl down on the ground on the descent off Caha pass , it looked very nasty. There was a lad down also about a few km from the finish into Kenmare. Just hope all involved are OK and don't have any serious injuries from their falls.

I was the lad (thanks for the description as a "lad" I am 60) on the road a few km from the finish - couldn't believe I got that far into a 140k cycle only to hit a bloody cats eye at about 40kph about 1.5k from the finish. I crossed the line with the the handlebars pointing in one direction and the bicycle in another. I would have crawled across the line at that stage. A few soft tissue injuries and a cracked rib - otherwise fine. Apart from that a great day and great event. :):):)

Forgot to say that my POC hemet was destroyed when my head hit the ground - it saved my life - a salutary lesson regardless of any debate.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I started in Castletownbere and there were very few there for the official start. I spent most of the day on my own.

Loved every minute of it though. First time doing it and I will be back.

there was a box full of registration packs on the truck at CTB at the stop for the kenmare group.
    i reckon a lot of punters went to Kenmare!

Super day from start to finish, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Did the 110km from glengarrif very quiet start
    Weather was unreal scenery was amazing
    Stewarding/foodstops very well run. Found it a long drag from cb back into glengarrif
    Enjoyed it immensely a much easier option than the ROK

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ItsmeKathy

Dufmarie wrote: »
    Actually I haven't checked my bike. My friends picked it up and brought it home! Ah it can be fixed, not the end of the world!
    Hi there, I think it was my husband who was in the ambulance with you (If I have the right person) he hit a dip in the road. Bike a write off and full of road rash but he's ok thankfully. He mentioned a lady who had a bad accident so if it's you I'll let him know you're ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dufmarie

ItsmeKathy wrote: »
    Hi there, I think it was my husband who was in the ambulance with you (If I have the right person) he hit a dip in the road. Bike a write off and full of road rash but he's ok thankfully. He mentioned a lady who had a bad accident so if it's you I'll let him know you're ok :)

No I was in ambulance on my own. I went to tralee A&E. But I am fine, full of bruises and very sore but I'll be OK.
    Glad your husband is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I was the lad (thanks for the description as a "lad" I am 60) on the road a few km from the finish - couldn't believe I got that far into a 140k cycle only to hit a bloody cats eye at about 40kph about 1.5k from the finish. I crossed the line with the the handlebars pointing in one direction and the bicycle in another. I would have crawled across the line at that stage. A few soft tissue injuries and a cracked rib - otherwise fine. Apart from that a great day and great event. :):):)

Forgot to say that my POC hemet was destroyed when my head hit the ground - it saved my life - a salutary lesson regardless of any debate.!

Well done getting back on the bike with a cracked rib and managing to finish.

Regarding your helmet, you will find "evidence" from various experts here and elsewhere on the web that your helmet couldn't possibly have saved you. This was my experience after a high-speed crash last year where I landed on my helmet and totally destroyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Yeah but you do realise if hit by a tank at 200mph it won't save you, right? So whats the point?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

2nd year doing this event and ill definitely be back next year. Serious craic in Kenmare afterwards! Lovely little town!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

Any date for this next year? Great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Always the last Saturday in May???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

26th of May would be my guess. Nothing official yet though.

Advertisement