Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm in new build

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm coming up to first fix electrical in my new build and my electrician has quoted me €2200 a wired and €3200 for a wireless alarm. The house is 2,600 ft² with 20 opening windows, all triple glazed. Obviously with Ilit being a new build I can hide the wires making the wired option more attractive. My questions are, is there any advantage to going wireless and are these prices in the general ball park?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Imo there is no advantage in wireless. Wired all the way. Lots of lazy wireless guys out there

That is if you can cable it. If you can't then some wireless works

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No reason at all to go wireless in this case, you'll also save a fortune in future call-outs to change the batteries in all of the sensors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I agree, go wired and get your installer to separate the zones as much as he can. He should have ten zones to play with. That's one advantage wireless has over wired, each wireless sensor has its own zone so if the alarm triggers you know exactly where to go and investigate.

Also, make sure your electrican has a PSA licence because if he doesn't both he and you are breaking the law.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That's one advantage wireless has over wired, each wireless sensor has its own zone so if the alarm triggers you know exactly where to go and investigate

Not always the case. Some wired systems have sensors that can be individually addressed such as HKC.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Not always the case. Some wired systems have sensors that can be individually addressed such as HKC.

Yes, but ID devices are fast becoming a thing of the past. The best way would be to wire all windows and doors separately and use expanders, would you not agree?

Yes, but ID devices are fast becoming a thing of the past. The best way would be to wire all windows and doors separately and use expanders, would you not agree?

I'd agree too but it's unnecessary imo.
    It's reasonable to have windows on zones, front upstairs, back upstairs, external doors individual too etc for most people.

PIRs are all individually set up anyway,

Yes, but ID devices are fast becoming a thing of the past.

Really? I didn't know that. A fully addressable system always struck me a a step forward from a zoned system.
    The best way would be to wire all windows and doors separately and use expanders, would you not agree?

I wouldn't have an issue with up to 4 similar size and type of windows within an area being on the same zone, but I get your point. This would also allow for different settings per device.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd agree too but it's unnecessary imo.
    It's reasonable to have windows on zones, front upstairs, back upstairs, external doors individual too etc for most people.

PIRs are all individually set up anyway,

Yes, that would be the norm but when the budget allows, we wire every window and door separately and each has their own zone. We've even separated the contact from the shock on each window or door at times.

Gives great leeway with the system regarding part sets, isolation and fault finding, and as said earlier, if the alarm triggers you can go directly to that very detector to investigate rather than looking around an area which could be quite large depending on the size of the premises.

Really? I didn't know that. A fully addressable system always struck me a a step forward from a zoned system.

I wouldn't have an issue with up to 4 similar size and type of windows within an area being on the same zone, but I get your point. This would also allow for different settings per device.

Yeah, not many installers use them and we don't come across them much servicing anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Thanks for the replies, was leaning towards wireless already but thought a few more educated opinions couldn't hurt.

skittles11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, was leaning towards wireless already but thought a few more educated opinions couldn't hurt.

Just to be clear every poster on this thread has recommended a wired system, not wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭skittles11

Just to be clear every poster on this thread has recommended a wired system, not wireless.

Just copped what I wrote there, my mistake. Its wired I'm going for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wired all the way. We only use wireless if needs be. Every zone is separate from the next for fault finding and security. Personally id get a professional installer to wire and install. Iv been on too many jobs where sparks have installed a system be it intruder or cctv and most of the time its not up to the level it should be, thats not being disrespectful to sparks just what iv seen out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom Hagen

any good wired systems out there that I know will stand the test of time? i have an alarm cable ran to every door and window. first fixing new build.

should i run some kind of control cable for alarm panel inside front door ??

Tom Hagen wrote:
    should i run some kind of control cable for alarm panel inside front door ??

For the keypad ? Yes you should .

Also consider a panic alarm button beside it

Advertisement