Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New waste bin collection idea

Options
  • 12-10-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi does anyone with experience in the waste business think that a collection service that comes to your door for your bin saving you the time and hassle of having to leave your bin out take off I'm in the country and think this would be a good niche in the market for people living in the country with long driveways entrances etc have looked at the costs involved and think it could work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Depending on location the time involved in picking each house could increase by many multiples.
    To what extent this would effect costs I don't know but extreme cost increase no doubt. It would certainly be handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i could be wrong but I couldn't see enough people willing to pay 2 or 3 times the price just so they don't have to drop the bin out.

I see a few around in this situation have a little trailer type attachment for the bin that you can pull behind your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,570 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I live down a long lane in the country.

I wouldn't want someone calling and going round behind my house to get my bins.

Also, how far down the long lane are you bringing the large bin truck, it takes a fair bit of room to turn a truck like these and they rip the ground badly if you try turn them in tight spaces.

First collections on our route start at 5am, you couldn't be driving trucks down lanes and walking round people's houses at these times.

Leaving bins out is no bother, the handle of wheely bins just slips down over the standard tow hitch, run it out to the road where it's collected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Should the title of this thread not be "Can’t somebody else do it?"

Advbrd wrote: »

In fairness that does cross my mind the odd wet Sunday evening, but I wouldn't pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Advbrd wrote: »

The garbage man can

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clutchkable

_Brian wrote: »
    I live down a long lane in the country.

I wouldn't want someone calling and going round behind my house to get my bins.

Also, how far down the long lane are you bringing the large bin truck, it takes a fair bit of room to turn a truck like these and they rip the ground badly if you try turn them in tight spaces.

First collections on our route start at 5am, you couldn't be driving trucks down lanes and walking round people's houses at these times.

Leaving bins out is no bother, the handle of wheely bins just slips down over the standard tow hitch, run it out to the road where it's collected.

I'd be using a Ford transit tipper truck no bigger than a large van fitted out to lift a wheelie bin as for the time I wouldn't need to be calling that early as I wouldn't have a huge amount of customers so could start later in the morning round 8

i could be wrong but I couldn't see enough people willing to pay 2 or 3 times the price just so they don't have to drop the bin out.

I see a few around in this situation have a little trailer type attachment for the bin that you can pull behind your car.

Wouldn't be any dearer to provide the service where I am it's 30 a month for 2 collections a month I think that could be matched

I'd be using a Ford transit tipper truck no bigger than a large van fitted out to lift a wheelie bin as for the time I wouldn't need to be calling that early as I wouldn't have a huge amount of customers so could start later in the morning round 8

You see, I can't see it working out. Your spending more time going down lanes and around houses, which will need a premium charge. Then your thinking of a vehicle with maybe 20% the carrying capacity which means 500% more trips to offload, which is a cost to be passed back to the consumer. The current operators make money by customer density and ability to stay out and cover large area before offloading, our local truck operates two 8hr shifts a day too.
    How with a small truck could you lift recycling and regular waste and keep it segregated??

_Brian wrote: »
    You see, I can't see it working out. Your spending more time going down lanes and around houses, which will need a premium charge. Then your thinking of a vehicle with maybe 20% the carrying capacity which means 500% more trips to offload, which is a cost to be passed back to the consumer. The current operators make money by customer density and ability to stay out and cover large area before offloading, our local truck operates two 8hr shifts a day too.
    How with a small truck could you lift recycling and regular waste and keep it segregated??

Well it'd all come down to the amount of customers I'd have say I had 300 customers and called twice a month like in my area once for the waste once for the recycling that be 600 calls a month which would be 30 calls a days think that would be manageable and wouldn't need to segregate any rubbish that way the main collectors could have as much as 40000 customers that's why there out so long anyway just an idea I had

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose as long as you have your sums done and know in advance that there is a market with 300 locals willing to pay a premium.

To me it sounds like a "boom time" business where people pay someone else to touch the bins that they'd rather not touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Well it'd all come down to the amount of customers I'd have say I had 300 customers and called twice a month like in my area once for the waste once for the recycling that be 600 calls a month which would be 30 calls a days think that would be manageable and wouldn't need to segregate any rubbish that way the main collectors could have as much as 40000 customers that's why there out so long anyway just an idea I had

A few questions
    How much would you charge?
    how does this compare to the existing provider?
    How much is the license for waste disposal?
    How much do you need to pay at the disposal facility?
    What are the insurance/tax requirements?
    Are people tied into a contract with current provider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This could probably work for collecting glass bottles.
    I'd be willing to pay someone 2-3 EUR to take all of our glass to recycling centre once a month.

Steady on there €2-3 a collection, you'll give the man notions above his station :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

For glass only, yes!

Any higher and only a select few would bother with the service. Most would just chuck the glass in their black bin along with regular rubbish.

You have to make the price attractive, while also making sure people still get that assurance/fuzzy feeling that they are recycling/helping the environment.

wally79 wrote: »
    A few questions
    How much would you charge?
    how does this compare to the existing provider?
    How much is the license for waste disposal?
    How much do you need to pay at the disposal facility?
    What are the insurance/tax requirements?
    Are people tied into a contract with current provider?

30 to 35 euros a month same as the other providers a waste permit is two thousand for a single region or five for a multi region not sure if that's a one off payment or an annual thing or if it does a few years waste is charged at 75 Euro a ton plus gate fees not sure on recyclable waste used to be paid for it but think at the moment it costs to get rid of it around 20 a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

30 to 35 euros a month same as the other providers a waste permit is two thousand for a single region or five for a multi region not sure if that's a one off payment or an annual thing or if it does a few years waste is charged at 75 Euro a ton plus gate fees not sure on recyclable waste used to be paid for it but think at the moment it costs to get rid of it around 20 a ton

Would love to know where you can dump waste at those prices. Once you are in business it all changes and you are not at private householder prices any longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm rural and pay by the lift -€20 with only needing to leave a bin out once a quarter - I most certainly would not want anybody, be they a truck or van, coming in to my property to take the bin out. I wouldn't even want a binman walking in from the road and round the back of my house to fetch the bin. I'm 72 and have no difficulty leaving the bins out when needed. I think the whole idea is ludicrous, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You have to take into account people with electric or locked gates.
    People might not want you showing up at the back of their house.
    Many people have dogs running free in the back garden. Some people keep their bins in the garage so they don't travel to go outside.

It's a good idea, but you'd want to do a lot of market research before putting money into it.

westgolf wrote: »
    Would love to know where you can dump waste at those prices. Once you are in business it all changes and you are not at private householder prices any longer.

Why what are the prices you know about I thought 75 a ton was on the high side

• Advertisement
Advertisement