Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying with boundary issues

Options
  • 13-10-2016 2:41am

Does anyone have experience in buying a house with boundary issues?
    I know a house, great location, great value, but it has an extension that appears to go over the boundary line into the next door's garden.
    The extension is there well over 20 years, if not 30.
    How would one go about solving the issue if you were to buy it?
    Could you buy the land from the neighbours?
    If they didn't agree what would happen?

Comments

It depends what has happened in the past, how this came about and why it hasn't been fixed to date.

Normally you would expect the vendor to solve these issues before sale. Presumably there was an error or a verbal agreement between the neighbours long ago. The boundary issue is also a problem for the neighbour as it also affects their property if they were going to sell.

With the agreement of the neighbour, it would be easy to fix; Without it, it will be a mess.

Another possibility is that it is the map that is wrong, not the building.

However if you are waiting for a mortgage, its just another complication, and a potentially serious one. A cash buyer would have more flexibility in dealing with this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sort it before you buy, otherwise it becomes your problem!
    Have a chat with the neighbour and get their view in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I'm in the process of buying my late fathers house from his estate. It is a bungalow on 1/2 acre. He bought it about 25 yrs ago just had to move his furniture in. In the process of me buying the house suddenly the house was built too far into the plot, front wall was too close to the road. Entrance gate should have been on the LHS not on the RHS. Garage roof was too high. Apart from that everything was ok! Applied for retention & everything was given without a question being asked. Council / solicitors obviously knew they made a mistake years ago so let it go

Advertisement