Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BAMMA 27 / Bellator 169 - 16th December, 3Arena

123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

try bellator fb or instagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No idea. Im about 50 feet from the cage.
    Because I'm fifty feet from the cage.

Caught with a lead hook and turned straight into another coming the other side, 20 seconds into the first.
    I was there too, 50 feet from the cage and he was hesitant to engage, looked very uncomfortable on his feet and struggled to put away someone who has no business fighting for an organisation like Bellator.
    And then he went on a rant in the post fight interview as if he'd dominated a top 5 guy and was impressive in his fight.

He's a long, Long way from beating anyone in the business end of his division and I hope for his sake that Bellator keep feeding him nobodies for the next few years because besides a solid grappling base he's got a lot of development to do.

You're worse than Wonderfullife and his "I was in SBG"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭cletus

Its strange that people feel Gallagher shouldn't be criticised. Is it because of the closeness to fighters that fans have here in Ireland? I was at the fight, he didn't look great, he talks a lot of **** and looks average.

Is he a young fella? Yes. However he has put himself out on a professional stage where people pay to watch him perform, and one of the things that comes along with that is criticism if the performance isn't up to scratch.

The idea that certain posters here aren't qualified to comment is absurd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah this mentality of "leave him alone hes only 20" is weird. You can't talk the talk, fail to walk the walk and then be impervious to criticism. Maybe I'm wrong, as I clearly don't know enough about James as a person, but he seems to think he is already the finished product and is world class. He's nowhere near either. If he does fight Daniel Straus in the next 12 months, which he keeps saying is the plan, he will get absolutely battered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Den_M wrote: »
    He's one of us in a relatively new sport doing his best, give him a break FFS

Oh piss off with this ****e. "He's one of us" therefore back him unconditionally. Illogical nonsense from sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Piss off yourself! Baa, baa

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

You lot can keep on criticizing whilst balancing your can of beer on your belly if it makes you happy. James is a kid who's winning fights, regardless if you're impressed or not, which is the #1 main thing and will continue to improve and hopefully fulfill his potential. I doubt he cares about such pettiness and neither should he. Whining about a fighter that talks too much is like complaining about a fish that likes to swim so stuff it right up your christmas cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Well done, you've thoroughly deconstructed the arguement there.

Gallagher is a young, talented fighter with plenty of potential. Nobody disputes this, which you don't seem to understand. Whether because of his age, SBG connection or McGregor comparisons, he's getting a push that he has done little to earn. Is that his fault? Not in the slightest. He should absolutely make the most of it and I and (I presume) others on here wish him well. For me at least, this has nothing to do with him being Irish. He's from a place 60 miles down the road from me - this is not sufficient reason, again in my opinion, to pretend that he has done anything thus far to suggest he's a superstar in waiting. Nobody is criticising him for talking. It's part and parcel of all combat sports. What he's criticised for is talking as if he's the second coming. Just like people criticise Dillon Danis for his (I'm paraphrasing here) "they will all fall" guff on social media.

So far he has not looked in any way impressive in two fights against complete cans. That of course is my opinion but you'd really struggle, I imagine, to convince people otherwise.

Have a good new year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You lot can keep on criticizing whilst balancing your can of beer on your belly if it makes you happy. James is a kid who's winning fights, regardless if you're impressed or not, which is the #1 main thing and will continue to improve and hopefully fulfill his potential. I doubt he cares about such pettiness and neither should he. Whining about a fighter that talks too much is like complaining about a fish that likes to swim so stuff it right up your christmas cracker

The old ''You cant comment you're on the couch'' arguement,

Hes co main on a bellator card and hes absoluely muck hence why I didnt pay to see the fights and many others will, hes a bjj players trying to learn to strike cant box eggs, nobody is debating if he cares or not were discussing his skills same way we discuss other fighters skills so what if hes 20 or Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

A few years back mcgregor was the big mouth on the scene. But he put guys away and backed up his talk. Gallagher isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭cletus

Listen, this is an old, tired argument that stems, I think, from an era in mma when it was niche, and most fans also trained at least to some degree.

MMA has moved on from that niche to be more mainstream. That brings with it casual fans, people who've never trained, fans of other sports.

One of the things that fans of every sport do is to criticise and critique the performance of teams or athletes in that sport. MMA is no different.

It would be ridiculous to suggest that only people who have driven F1 cars can pass comment on motor racing, or only those who have played top flight football can criticise Premiership players.

As for the parochial "sure he's Irish", I love to see Irish fighters do well on the international stage, because for a long time I thought we'd never see one. That doesn't mean I can't criticise his or her performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Gamebred wrote: »
    try bellator fb or instagram.

Yeah the Tuke fight is there alright. thanks for that. There certainly were the signs that this could happen in the previous fight, but I thought it would work as a warning sign for him to tighten up his defence. A wake up call that he's not THAT good that he doesn't need to worry about defending himself..

Any word on where he goes from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Any word on where he goes from here?

Six months of nothing but working with a good boxing gym and brushing up on his kick boxing with Cawley and Keily would be a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Six months of nothing but working with a good boxing gym and brushing up on his kick boxing with Cawley and Keily would be a good start.

As a Mixed Martial Artist it is not a good idea to focus solely on one thing. I have heard it compared to spinning plates. If you focus too much on one plate the rest will start to fall.

You can always worker a bit hard on one part of your game, but I dont think it is a good idea to focus on one area solely for an extended period of time or the other parts may start to suffer.

Ronda Rousey said she was working on solely boxing for the last 12 months, personally I think she should have gone back to what made her a dominant champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ronda Rousey said she was working on solely boxing for the last 12 months,

I don't believe her tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

BOHtox wrote: »
    You're worse than Wonderfullife and his "I was in SBG"

I really was though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I really was though :)
    I was there on Christmas and last Tuesday. But I didn't any photos or books signed. :(

Advertisement