Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after RTC

Options
  • 13-10-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Had an incident this morning with a learner driver. A combination of wet roads and her inexperience/over reacting are to blame. Basically a taxi wanted to move into her lane (from right lane to left) and she over reacted by coming to a complete stop. There were no other cars in front, behind or to the side of her. My back wheel locked up and I skidded, went into back left and side of her car.

No damage to the bike or myself from what I can see thankfully. She has offered to pay for any damage to the bike, which I'll get a shop to assess just in case. I feel fine but should I go see a GP just in case? Have read so many stories of symptoms not showing for days. Don't want to involve insurance or Gardaí because it is very minor really.

Have the whole thing on camera too as it happens so no arguing what happened.

Anything else I should be doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Quick checkup and find out what the bike damage is.

Probably no need to go further.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She stopped and you crashed in to her? Is that not your fault?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did she swerve lanes or just come to a complete stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

LpPepper wrote: »
    Had an incident this morning with a learner driver. A combination of wet roads and her inexperience/over reacting are to blame. ..... My back wheel locked up and I skidded, went into back left and side of her car.

Forget it. By now, she will have been advised by friends, family, colleagues that she was not to blame at all and (correctly) that you are at fault for not anticipating the incident, riding too close and not reacting in time.
    Cover your own costs. Regard it as a learning opportunity and move on, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

She moved from the right lane to left initially without indicating, then veered to the left a bit. I had moved just outside the cycle lane as there was road works ahead and it suddenly just ends so I was moving out so I wouldn't be squeezed out further on.

She literally came to a complete stop for zero reason, the lights were green, the taxi that she said cut in front of her was too far ahead to warrant her slamming on the brakes. It's not like I was tail gating her either, with how suddenly she stopped I had no chance to slow down without the wheel locking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You were behind, you should have anticipated her stopping regardless of the reason she stopped and left room, you were behind. No different to a car rear ending another car. Be grateful she's willing to fix the bike and move on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She moved from the right lane to left initially without indicating, then veered to the left a bit. I had moved just outside the cycle lane as there was road works ahead and it suddenly just ends so I was moving out so I wouldn't be squeezed out further on.

She literally came to a complete stop for zero reason, the lights were green, the taxi that she said cut in front of her was too far ahead to warrant her slamming on the brakes. It's not like I was tail gating her either, with how suddenly she stopped I had no chance to slow down without the wheel locking up.

Doesnt matter if she came to a compete stop for no reason. The law says if you crash into the back of her you are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

As others have said, you're at fault here. If you were driving the car, regardless of reasons for doing so, and had to brake to a stop very suddenly, then another road user slammed into the back of you, what would you say/do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sorry
    No damage to the bike or myself from what I can see thankfully. She has offered to pay for any damage to the bike, which I'll get a shop to assess just in case. I feel fine but should I go see a GP just in case? Have read so many stories of symptoms not showing for days. Don't want to involve insurance or Gardaí because it is very minor really.

I think you might be a tad over reacting, having had a couple of serious bangs myself, I really think there is nothing see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

As already mentioned, accident was your fault in the eyes of the law.

I would be pretty confident at this point that she would have mentioned this to colleagues/friends/family and they'd have persuaded her that it wasn't her fault. The only reason she'll be willing to cover the costs is if she was a learner driving without a fully licensed driver.

Get a crash test done on the bike which is only about €40. Unless you took a bang to the head or have some kind of swelling then I would not bother with going to the Doctor, no need to go in for very minor falls just because it took place on a bicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect if she was a learner, she was probably so frazzled after the impact that she'd have agreed to anything to make the problem go away.

that said, it raises the question of whether she had a qualified driver with her. that said, it should not have been a factor in the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I feel fine but should I go see a GP just in case? Have read so many stories of symptoms not showing for days.

When people talk of symptoms not showing, generally it's when they've flown over the bonnet of a car, or something which really gets the adrenaline going. It sounds like you didn't even go to ground in this incident? I would think there is no real reason to go to either a GP, or a bike shop. Inspect the bike for any damage, and if it's all good then just carry on.

I would normally agree with the fact that if a vehicle slows down then the following vehicle is at fault if a collison occurs. In this case though her coming to a complete stop was bizare given the circumstances and completely unreasonable. The lights were green, the other car mentioned was at least 1.5 car lengths ahead when it changed lanes so to any reasonable person there was no need to even brake at all don't mind go from 35km/h to zero.

does not matter a jot. the responsibility lies with you to be able to stop, not with her to have to justify it.

I would normally agree with the fact that if a vehicle slows down then the following vehicle is at fault if a collison occurs. In this case though her coming to a complete stop was bizare given the circumstances and completely unreasonable. The lights were green, the other car mentioned was at least 1.5 car lengths ahead when it changed lanes so to any reasonable person there was no need to even brake at all don't mind go from 35km/h to zero.

Doesnt matter how you try to phrase it the fact is that you crashed in to a stationary car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have the whole thing on camera too as it happens so no arguing what happened.
    Put it up here, just to get a better view. If there is one thing I have learned over the years, commentary might help you see something you had not considered before.
    Anything else I should be doing?
    See a GP and get checked out.
    As everyone else has said, your description paints it as your fault. I see it all the time with motorists jamming on (for a variety of reasons and sometimes for none at all).
    If she pays for the bike, be thankful because she really has no obligation too. I done the same myself when I was younger where I rear ended a Golf. Young lad jumped out and apologised, went to make sure I was OK. It was nice to see such humanity on the roads but it was my own fault, even if it felt like it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You couldn't stop within the distance you could see to be clear. Your bad I'm afraid.

*if* the incident is as you described it, i would play yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, with her and part on friendly terms with no money changing hands.
    there's no guarantee a family member will not convince her that you were the one at fault, and come after you to repair damage to the car which may or may not exist.
    chalk this one down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here's a bit from a British Columbian Website.
    I imagine the Irish situation is pretty similar.

http://www.icbcclaiminfo.com/node/27

While a vehicle rear ending another is usually in the wrong, there are exceptions.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Here's a bit from a British Columbian Website.
    I imagine the Irish situation is pretty similar.

http://www.icbcclaiminfo.com/node/27

While a vehicle rear ending another is usually in the wrong, there are exceptions.

In the Irish case the exception is if the person did it on purpose in order to deliberately cause a collision (usually for insurance purposes). Dont think this is the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

godtabh wrote: »
    In the Irish case the exception is if the person did it on purpose in order to deliberately cause a collision (usually for insurance purposes). Dont think this is the case here.

There are other exceptions, for example if the brake lights on front vehicle are not working. There are others, however, I'm not sure, that any of them apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

You better hope the driver doesn't see this and develop some symptoms like you mentioned,
    😄😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

*if* the incident is as you described it, i would play yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, with her and part on friendly terms with no money changing hands.
    there's no guarantee a family member will not convince her that you were the one at fault, and come after you to repair damage to the car which may or may not exist.
    chalk this one down to experience.

A learner driver in the car in her own!! That's against the law and may nullify her insurance, she'd do well not to put up a fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Throw the video up on youtube .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

godtabh wrote: »

It doesn't sound like the driver tried to initiate a collision, but switching lanes without indicating, then swerving further left, and then jamming on is not competent driving. Being predictable for other roadusers is one of the most important things you can do to ensure everyone's safety. I'd like to see just how erratic this driver is before casting judgement on the OP's inability to stop in time.

The normal criteria is that if you run into the back of someone, it's your fault. However, I've been in situations where cars have swung into the left side of the road just after passing me and I have barely been able to avoid colliding with the back of them. I would not have thought myself to blame if I had crashed into someone driving in such an inconsiderate unpredictable manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Indeed if they were a learner driver and had "L" plates up you should have given more space than usual to allow for the fact they are a learner and more likely to do something unexpected.

Here's a screenshot of where I ended up afterwards. As you can see, the taxi ahead isnt anywhere near either of us. No cars on her side either.

Here's a screenshot of where I ended up afterwards. As you can see, the taxi ahead isnt anywhere near either of us. No cars on her side either.

Your argument is she stopped suddenly for now reason. If thats your argument and your argument only then the issue is with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are cyclists taking out insurance to cover themselves in incidences like this. Running into the side of a car could result in a bill into the thousand mark if a big dent was put in a car.

Or if you cycled into a pedestrian at a crossing and hurt them.

• Advertisement

check_six wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like the driver tried to initiate a collision, but switching lanes without indicating, then swerving further left, and then jamming on is not competent driving.
    the way i read the OP's post is that the driver had previously changed lanes without indicating, but there was no suggestion that this was a contributory factor.

the phrasing was 'moved from the right lane to left initially without indicating' which is different from saying 'she veered across in front of me'. obviously, i'm just going on the OP's description.

Advertisement