Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripe: Fraudulent Charge-back Received

Options
  • 13-10-2016 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I'm sure this has probably been discussed a thousand times here but i received an email from Stripe last night to say that a Fraudulent charge-back had been made against a purchase made on my online store.

Its a pretty large value as all the products i sell and AV equipment.

I'm usually pretty on the ball with these type of things and check email address/address/etc and even call the buyer to check the purchase, i always ask how I'm speaking with before i give any information so i can be sure the person gives their name first.

Anyhow i dispatched a product and it was delivered to the address by DPD and signed for by the same name.

I've given Stripe all the tracking information and proof of delivery including signature.

Does anyone know what my chances are of winning this case, if the product was delivered to the billing address?

I still have the customers phone number, IP Address, etc should i pass this information onto the Garda or wait and see the result of the case.

Isn't it the card holders responsibility to ensure their card is safe?

I love to hear some thoughts, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

We lost over 2500 Euro this year on bank chargebacks via Stripe alone and only Stripe , like you we had POD, tracking numbers etc, some of the purchases were collections, even provided the Guards with CCTV of the suspects.

Stripe didn't want to now, still waiting for the Guards to come back to us with any information.

Only started using Stripe in March of this year, thinking of switching back to another provider.

PM me if you need further information with this

Cheers

Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Jarren wrote: »
    We lost over 2500 Euro this year on bank chargebacks via Stripe alone and only Stripe , like you we had POD, tracking numbers etc, some of the purchases were collections, even provided the Guards with CCTV of the suspects.

Stripe didn't want to now, still waiting for the Guards to come back to us with any information.

Only started using Stripe in March of this year, thinking of switching back to another provider.

PM me if you need further information with this

Cheers

Jarren

Hi Jarren

Thank you for your reply, doesn't sound good so :(

I've been googling and came across signifyd they are suppose to offer full protection on orders they pass for a 1% fee on each transaction, no questions asked.

You should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jarren wrote: »

Were you processing the payment in-store? Not 100% but I think that could have shifted some of the liability to you as it is no longer a "customer not present" transaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Hi

No, we process all orders online, however customers can pick shipping or collection option if they wish to do so.

Cheers

Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

When you are taking payments without a pin number entered on a terminal - "cardholder not present" payments -, you are 100% responsible for ensuring that payment is genuine.

This is a given and is in all terms and conditions of all merchant processing companies. Stripe / elavon / barclaycard / first data / world pay / realex are not responsible. they are smplky gateways / processors.

You can report it to gardai, but the level of proof needed will mean you will get nowhere.

The only way around it is to implement verified by visa or mastercard secure. Many people don't like it and it can lead to 20% of orders being abandoned when the average order is under €100, but if you are selling higher value items the abandonment rate is far lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement