Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labelling food

Options
  • 13-10-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I am in the very early stages of starting a business. I want to buy in food such as wraps and sandwiches and label it under my own branding. Can anyone give me advice on how to do so?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Are you in a shopping centre as per your previous post, which you never responded to the answers on, or a food producer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 OAA1

Hi,

Apologies for not coming back to you and thank you for your response. As of yet I don't have a premises. Still to be decided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

OAA1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am in the very early stages of starting a business. I want to buy in food such as wraps and sandwiches and label it under my own branding. Can anyone give me advice on how to do so?

Many thanks.
    You will need to talk to whoever you are sourcing you products from, they may have no issue with you sticking your logo to the product. In that case you just need to get onto a company for producing the labels

Modern Labels can do something like this for you

Be careful when labeling food, from my experience in creating label printing software for deli's there are a lot of laws that must be followed in regards to what must be printed on the labels.

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

@OAA1 - Nobody can help you if you do not help yourself. Make a start by deciding what you want to do, how and where. When you have done your homework then, and only then, should you return with a question. People get advice on plans here, they tend not to have basic homework done for them.

You will need to talk to whoever you are sourcing you products from, they may have no issue with you sticking your logo to the product. In that case you just need to get onto a company for producing the labels

Modern Labels can do something like this for you

Be careful when labeling food, from my experience in creating label printing software for deli's there are a lot of laws that must be followed in regards to what must be printed on the labels.
    Thank you again.

• Advertisement

@OAA1 - Nobody can help you if you do not help yourself. Make a start by deciding what you want to do, how and where. When you have done your homework then, and only then, should you return with a question. People get advice on plans here, they tend not to have basic homework done for them.
    Who are you to tell me when I should ask a question. Now, do one you keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Going OEM is a handy way to start any business without a large outlay. The relationship needs to be good. In a food situation it looks more complex. Esp in relation to when something may go wrong for a customer. Where does the buck stop?

Who are you to tell me when I should ask a question. Now, do one you keyboard warrior.

I think you'll find that tire-kickers aren't tolerated much around here and will get (appropriately) short shrift. Do you know any of the eu regulations when it comes to food labelling? Read that and get everything together which is mentioned above and then you'll get a warmer response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You posted a question on a public forum. You got a response. Were I a 'keyboard warrior' I would have written that your question was lacking, that it shows absolutely no understanding of the food industry, no idea of margin/mark-up, no notion of sourcing or distribution and no idea of labeling - all of which are the very basics of what you are asking about. Ever hear of Greencore? You want to compete? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Not many people post in this forum anymore becasue there are a couple of posters who think that only experienced people who already know everything should pose questions. Inexperienced people are not tolerated by these posters.

Due to these posters and one in particular the forum is not a particularly good forum for those looking for early business advice. It's a pity as it could be good.

In terms of sandwiches, there are three main players. Freshways, Scribbles/Around Noon & The Brunch Box.

Each offers an own label service and costs are from €1.20 - €1.70 per sandwich depending on ingredients and quantity.

It is a difficult business to enter in a small way due to the heavy fixed costs and the food safety legislation. You would need to be guaranteed an early morning coffee business to make figures work and you would need to base your projected figures on real data rather than any figures you "think".

Remember many offices have canteen facilities and the proliferation of nespresso machines means less bought cups.

Your first step would be the local hse environmental health officer who will give you all the safety details. You then need to know what refridgeration and other machines required. Even if food os premade and wrapped, all leglislation and record keeping must be adhered to.

Its not an easy business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DivineMsM

I am pretty sure that the 'source' of food needs to go on all items.
    I work for a company that makes, packages and labels food products for sale in a third party company.
    While their logo goes on the product labels- we also have our company details on the labels as we are the producer.
    We print our own labels- just using a regular printer & standard labels.
    The information needed for allergens etc is getting more stringent.
    You'll have to do plenty of research about what actually needs to be included as its a minefield thats changing regularly.

DivineMsM wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that the 'source' of food needs to go on all items.

Absolutely Not!

Advertisement