Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC opinions

Options
  • 13-10-2016 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking of building a HTPC for the last while. The main uses would be:
    - Netflix
    - Watching downloaded movies
    - Streaming sport
    - Playing emulators (up to and including PS1 games)
    - Torrents

How much should I budget for something that is capable of all of the above? Or would something like this Mini PC from Novatech be able for all of the above tasks? It comes with a 240GB SSD and is fanless which is ideal. I know I will need to buy a new licence for Windows though. My movies will generally be kept on an external drive so 240GB is perfect for the SSD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

BDJW wrote: »
    I've been thinking of building a HTPC for the last while. The main uses would be:
    - Netflix
    - Watching downloaded movies
    - Streaming sport
    - Playing emulators (up to and including PS1 games)
    - Torrents

How much should I budget for something that is capable of all of the above? Or would something like this Mini PC from Novatech be able for all of the above tasks? It comes with a 240GB SSD and is fanless which is ideal. I know I will need to buy a new licence for Windows though. My movies will generally be kept on an external drive so 240GB is perfect for the SSD

Can't see it being unable to do what you are looking for. I've run a PS1 emulator on a Wii no bother and I can't imagine the Intel chipset being less powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

An android box would suit you. Nice and quiet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

/\/ollog wrote: »
    An android box would suit you. Nice and quiet too.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've no interest in an Android box. I'd prefer a Windows based machine

Thanks to whichever mod moved the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

That miniPC would do nicely! Even a NUC could handle what you are looking for I believe. I guess the budget concerns come down to what you can afford, and want to afford. I know that's a very "By The Book" answer, but whatever suits you best, is the best answer.

(P.S What emulator do you use for PS1 games? I've been looking out for some good ones myself but never got around to it)

• Advertisement

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    That miniPC would do nicely! Even a NUC could handle what you are looking for I believe. I guess the budget concerns come down to what you can afford, and want to afford. I know that's a very "By The Book" answer, but whatever suits you best, is the best answer.

(P.S What emulator do you use for PS1 games? I've been looking out for some good ones myself but never got around to it)

I had a quick look at the NUCs a few weeks ago, and thought the Novatech miniPC was better value. I think it might be the way to go (once Christmas expenditure is out of the way!). It looks to work out cheaper to buy windows separately rather than bundling it with the miniPC

I haven't downloaded an emulator yet. I still have a PS2 which I play a few PS1 games on from time to time, so the idea is to download them on an emulator once I've got the new PC so that I don't have to dig out the PS2 and set it up every time I want to play it!

Advertisement