Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're Daryl Horgan. What would you do?

• 13-10-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Daryl Horgan is the best player in the league of Ireland right now. His performances for Dundalk have seen him appear on the radar of clubs across the water and he has already had a few trials with championship and league one clubs. Lately there has also been calls for him to be picked for the international team.

Previously the decision to move abroad was pretty much a no-brainer. The League of Ireland was pretty much a dead end with very little scope for improvement. But lately that has changed slightly due to Dundalk's exploits on the European stage.

Players can now see the potential for big games against big players and have maybe looked at the likes of Richie Towell and Patrick Hoban's careers stalling across channel and now suddenly the decision to leave has become that bit harder.

Does he trade all those glory nights and 'big' games ie title deciders and cup finals for potentially sitting on the bench in the championship. On the flip side if he nails a spot down in the championship his chances of appearing for the national side increase hugely and he could get his fix of big games through that avenue. Also of course there is the small matter of up to 500% increase in wages.

Listening to him in interviews he seems unsure of his next move. Personally I think he should stay but that decision is based purely on my own selfish needs as a Dundalk supporter and I haven't given one ounce of feeling towards what is best for wee Daryl.

So what would you do?

Should he stay or should he go now? 59 votes

He should stay at Dundalk.
    0%
    He should move abroad for footballing reasons.
    20%
    mcgoverngernongustafoPigheadhomerjay2005White HorsejustshaneFrogdogBOHtoxblingrhinoMD1990byrneg28 12 votes
    He should move abroad for financial reasons.
    22%
    gimmickHoward the DuckMickeroodfx-Gavin "shels"garraSRFC90Lukker-wadacrackOsmosis Jonesmarno21peteeeedThe Talking Bread 13 votes
    Move. Makes sense for both footballing and financial reasons.
    57%
    SandMcGMaceFacechopperbyrneRikandPro. FMushyfranglaninternelligentCantGetNoSleepcallaway92Oat23hogandrewCHealyLojakCaptain HavocSonomajor billhowiyajive 34 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Follow the money. Dundalk are obviously paying decent wages but he can get more elsewhere. Hes not a kid anymore, he has a few years left to set himself up for life though.

Surely if he's confident he'll believe he'll see glory days elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'd move, the chance to be the next Seamus Coleman or James McClean + the financial stability and security greatly outweighs the what ifs for me.

Take your chance and see how far you go, I'm sure he'd always find a club back here should he flatter to deceive on the big occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Use Towell as a cautious example, grass isnt always greener, the money is, but its a step up at a more consistent level that he'd have to perform upon.

IMO, Towell is a better player, two different players clearly but Horgan hasnt played abroad yet, like Towell, so he might fancy a year or two away to see what heights he can reach and who could blame him, its a very short career as a professional soccer player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I probably should have mentioned in the opening post that those big European nights are not a given if he stays at home. Every chance this season could be the peak with regards to Dundalk's performances in Europe. A couple of tough draws next Spring and the clubs European involvement could be over by July. I actually think he is seriously thinking about staying but I imagine the poll will advise him that he should take the money and take his chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Does it have to be England? How about a move to Germany or Spain?

He should go somewhere where he gets games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/55ybqp/if_id_gone_to_a_big_english_club_theyd_just_stick/?ref=search_posts

There's a Scottish lad who chose a different option and it seems to we working out for him.

But if he wants money and future stability (and who doesn't) then England is probably the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Go where the money is and try his best to go to a team where he is likely to play. Footballers' careers are too short to turn down such an increase in pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If you're confident in your own ability and a Championship side come calling, why wouldn't you take the plunge?

Horgan is 24 now and he has maybe 5 or 6 years in his position where he can be at the top of his game. Its a short career. Plus, as has been mentioned, if he gets a move to that level that works out for him, his chances of getting a call up for Ireland improve immeasurably.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Go where the money is and try his best to go to a team where he is likely to play. Footballers' careers are too short to turn down such an increase in pay.
    I suppose that opens up another interesting angle to the debate as well. Dundalk look like they will clear in the region of 4-5 million profit from this season's European adventures. I'm guessing he could earn up to €5000 a week across channel. Is it in Dundalk's interests to invest some of their profits into tempting Horgan to stay with say a €2500 a week deal (for a full year).

Obviously this is veering dangerously towards the age old problem of League of Ireland clubs living beyond their means but with so much money potentially to be earned from European involvement keeping Horgan could end up being financially rewarding. It shoud also be mentioned that Horgan has a baby at home as well which could influence any decision he makes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Follow the money. I think saying it didn't work out for Towell is nonsense, he's probably getting a lot more money at Brighton than at Dundalk. I wouldn't be looking at potential earnings either, only what the guaranteed wages are.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Pighead wrote: »
    I suppose that opens up another interesting angle to the debate as well. Dundalk look like they will clear in the region of 4-5 million profit from this season's European adventures. I'm guessing he could earn up to €5000 a week across channel. Is it in Dundalk's interests to invest some of their profits into tempting Horgan to stay with say a €2500 a week deal (for a full year).

Obviously this is veering dangerously towards the age old problem of League of Ireland clubs living beyond their means but with so much money potentially to be earned from European involvement keeping Horgan could end up being financially rewarding. It shoud also be mentioned that Horgan has a baby at home as well which could influence any decision he makes.
    Wouldn't you be pissed off if you were Gartland or McMillan or someone if he's getting that money and you're not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think he's a very high profile player, I heard the lads at work talking about him the other day. How much do you think it'd be worth to Dundalk if he got caps? How much has his performances earned Dundalk this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Fix that pitch. Spend all the money on that, never mind financial security.

But seriously - after putting money aside as a safety net for the future - it's interesting to wonder whether or not keeping their best players is the best way for Dundalk to spend it. I suppose the problem isn't paying Horgan, it's the wage inflation that creeps in to all the contracts afterwards.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Wouldn't you be pissed off if you were Gartland or McMillan or someone if he's getting that money and you're not?
    To an extent yes. But, you have to realise how big a part Horgan has played in Dundalk success this year. The players have received the guts of €50000 in bonuses so far from their European run. If I'm a player I might not want to kick up too much of a fuss if our star player who has helped us earn these bonuses is offered a few more quid. Also I'm sure each player will get some sort of raise for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

go get the money, it makes zero sense to do anything else.

he will never repeat the heights he has had with Dundalk with Dundalk again, nor any other LOI side.

At this stage, an Irish team getting to the group stage of the EL is a one in five or six year thing, and will remain so for at least another couple of cycles of that in my opinion.

He should go to the club prepared to pay him the most money.

If he has further footballistic ambitions, he could weigh up the chances of game time, and make a decision based on potential earnings and potential Ireland caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would think its a no-brainer to leave. I'd imagine the option was there for Towell to come back in the summer. He probably was happy enough on his better money over in England. Would he have done it differently if he knew how Dundalk were going to do in Europe this summer? Possibly but it's not a certainty. In the end for the vast majority of us the primary motivation for working is money. Hierarchy of needs and all that stuff.

The option is there for Horgan to test himself at a higher level while earning a good amount of extra money for doing so. If he goes there and it doesn't work out, the League of Ireland will still be there and likely Dundalk would be leading the charge to have him back.

To an extent yes. But, you have to realise how big a part Horgan has played in Dundalk success this year. The players have received the guts of €50000 in bonuses so far from their European run. If I'm a player I might not want to kick up too much of a fuss if our star player who has helped us earn these bonuses is offered a few more quid. Also I'm sure each player will get some sort of raise for next season.
    Don't you think McMillan believes hes played an important part in that too? If Horgan gets stupid money they all will.

I have no doubt they are all already on decent money there, most of their players will take the same again next year, possibly with a better bonus structure. Dundalk won't match what Horgan can get overseas and shouldn't try to. Someone on the LOI thread suggested Dylan Connolly as the replacement, that's what they need to do. Find the next one.

I thought they'd struggle post Towell. I don't think they'll struggle next season, with or without Horgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Don't stay in ireland that's for sure.If he gets an offer to move to a decent league abroad he should go , the great European nights with Dundalk won't pay his mortgage.Players who haven't made much money need to cash in when they get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Move, take his chances elsewhere.

If it doesn't work out he can come back to any Irish side of his choosing in a year or two.

If it does work out he can come back in 9 or 10 years for a swansong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Follow the money and it doesn't have to be in the UK either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would move. He get more money and may go up the ladder. The worst that can happen is he goes back to what he has

Plus he be able play on proper pitches every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't think people should be writing off Towell yet. He got injured in pre-season, so he had no pre-season and has only just started his rehab in the last week or two. So he's way behind the rest of the players physically. The chap still has a chance to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also of course there is the small matter of up to 500% increase in wages.

If that is the increase available to him then there is only one option. There are very few people in any industry that could or even should turn down an offer of 5 times their current salary.

Don't stay in ireland that's for sure.If he gets an offer to move to a decent league abroad he should go , the great European nights with Dundalk won't pay his mortgage.Players who haven't made much money need to cash in when they get the chance.
    Well actually the great European nights will help towards paying his mortgage. As I said the players have earned about €50,000 in bonuses this year. The trick is getting to the stage ala BATE (prior to this season) and Rosenborg where qualification to the group stages is a regular occurrence.

Well actually the great European nights will help towards paying his mortgage. As I said the players have earned about €50,000 in bonuses this year. The trick is getting to the stage ala BATE (prior to this season) and Rosenborg where qualification to the group stages is a regular occurrence.

€50,000 isn't that much money and he's not guaranteed to have such a good run with Dundalk again.

Also if he has any ambition at all he won't want to hang around in Ireland as he'll only properly improve as a player if he moves to a better league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

€50,000 isn't that much money and he's not guaranteed to have such a good run with Dundalk again.

Also if he has any ambition at all he won't want to hang around in Ireland as he'll only properly improve as a player if he moves to a better league.

Christ it is to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Use Towell as a cautious example, grass isnt always greener, the money is, but its a step up at a more consistent level that he'd have to perform upon.

IMO, Towell is a better player, two different players clearly but Horgan hasnt played abroad yet, like Towell, so he might fancy a year or two away to see what heights he can reach and who could blame him, its a very short career as a professional soccer player.

In fairness, the Towell situation isn't as bad as it appears from our perspective. Richie Sadlier was talking about meeting up with him recently. Said that Towell has had a few injury setbacks which has stemmed things, but Richie is loving it in Brighton. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I'd move, the chance to be the next Seamus Coleman or James McClean + the financial stability and security greatly outweighs the what ifs for me.

Take your chance and see how far you go, I'm sure he'd always find a club back here should he flatter to deceive on the big occasion
    I'm sure he'll get offers in January. Has he played much as a full back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I really like Daryl. Has come on leaps and bounds at Dundalk. He was a bit inconsistent at City, some week unplayable, some weeks a little out of games but Kenny has turned him into a hell of a player. He's also gets on with it as well, the other night when the likes of O'Donnell and Shields were getting on to the ref about every tackle City made, as happens in heated games, he made very little of anything and just jogged back to position. Would really like to see him do well abroad, he deserves a crack at it.

Unlike Towell, I think his pace will count for a lot in England.

How do you know he'll improve as a player if he moves to a better league? Has Richie Towell improved? Has Patrick Hoban improved? He is currently playing under a manager who has brought him on leaps and bounds in the past couple of seasons. Kenny encourages Horgan to try things on the pitch with the message being 'Don't worry if you make mistakes. Keep trying what you do.' Another manager may not be so forgiving. Some managers can stifle the progress of skilful players by banging the drum of 'possession is key' and chastising players who lose the ball.

Dundalk are arguably training just as hard as any championship club and would be on a par fitness wise. In olden days yes players did almost always improve as they were able to achieve a much higher level of fitness. With Horgan he already has the fitness. I don't think the level of improvements by playing in the championship would be all that spectacular. Again though I am focusing on footballing reasons here and and ignoring the financial gains on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Corholio wrote: »
    I really like Daryl. Has come on leaps and bounds at Dundalk. He was a bit inconsistent at City, some week unplayable, some weeks a little out of games but Kenny has turned him into a hell of a player. He's also gets on with it as well, the other night when the likes of O'Donnell and Shields were getting on to the ref about every tackle City made, as happens in heated games, he made very little of anything and just jogged back to position. Would really like to see him do well abroad, he deserves a crack at it.

Unlike Towell, I think his pace will count for a lot in England.

If he goes, he should make sure he goes to a club that need his qualities in the first team. It is very easy to get lost in the large squads that many of these English teams have.

He would also have to get used to attacking less and defending more. I watch lot of Championship football and none of the sides play the expansive game that appears to suit Horgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Be a mercenary.

Career is too short to worry about upsetting some Dundalk fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Be a mercenary.

Career is too short to worry about upsetting some Dundalk fans.

You don't understand Dundalk fans.

If the right move comes along for Daryl, Dundalk fans will thank him and wish him good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/Stuart_Watson/status/786543942254944256

Lot of interest in Horgan.

Money wise Horgan should move. But moving to the Championship means to no European football. Also Dundalk are a better team than at least most of the bottom half of the championship.

How do you know he'll improve as a player if he moves to a better league? Has Richie Towell improved? Has Patrick Hoban improved? He is currently playing under a manager who has brought him on leaps and bounds in the past couple of seasons. Kenny encourages Horgan to try things on the pitch with the message being 'Don't worry if you make mistakes. Keep trying what you do.' Another manager may not be so forgiving. Some managers can stifle the progress of skilful players by banging the drum of 'possession is key' and chastising players who lose the ball.

Dundalk are arguably training just as hard as any championship club and would be on a par fitness wise. In olden days yes players did almost always improve as they were able to achieve a much higher level of fitness. With Horgan he already has the fitness. I don't think the level of improvements by playing in the championship would be all that spectacular. Again though I am focusing on footballing reasons here and and ignoring the financial gains on offer.

He can earn much more money by leaving Ireland and if he moves abroad he will almost certainly be playing at a higher level and therefore should improve, if he doesn't then it means he's not good enough to be playing at this higher level.

Nobody dreams of playing for a LOI team, I am pretty sure Darryl Horgan doesn't either.If he's happy playing for Dundalk despite potentially having opportunities to move abroad then he's severely lacking in ambition.

Footballers don't dream of playing in front of 2,000 people every week they dream of playing in big matches in big stadiums in big leagues, he can't achieve any of that in Ireland.

Playing in the LOI would massively reduce his chances of playing for Ireland also.

Nobody dreams of playing for a LOI team, I am pretty sure Darryl Horgan doesn't either.If he's happy playing for Dundalk despite potentially having opportunities to move abroad then he's severely ambition.

You've obviously never tried to win the champions league with an LoI team football manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd say he'll leave, financially it makes sense. A guaranteed wage is preferable to bonuses that may or may not materialise.

Be great for the league if he did stay though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

He can earn much more money by leaving Ireland and if he moves abroad he will almost certainly be playing at a higher level and therefore should improve, if he doesn't then it means he's not good enough to be playing at this higher level.

Nobody dreams of playing for a LOI team, I am pretty sure Darryl Horgan doesn't either.If he's happy playing for Dundalk despite potentially having opportunities to move abroad then he's severely lacking in ambition.

Footballers don't dream of playing in front of 2,000 people every week they dream of playing in big matches in big stadiums in big leagues, he can't achieve any of that in Ireland.

Playing in the LOI would massively reduce his chances of playing for Ireland also.

Horgan has been playing in big games though bigger than many championship games & against better quality teams. Maybe he has the belief Dundalk can improve further & make the CL. I would not call that lacking ambition.
    In England & in the Championship there is a complete lack of patience in developing players. If Horgan was to leave I would prefer him to join the 2nd tier in Germany or Holland, Belgium 1st tier. Where coaches would recognise his talent & give him time to adapt unlike in England.

A footballer's career isn't as black & white as you are trying to make it out to be. I hope Hprgan isn't being advised by anyone with similar views to yourself.

Whats his contract like with Dundalk? Are players there on a multi season deal or are they 10 month ones?
    From a basic financial point of view, getting a 3 or 4 year contract provides a hell of a lot of security

MD1990 wrote: »
    Horgan has been playing in big games though bigger than many championship games & against better quality teams. Maybe he has the belief Dundalk can improve further & make the CL. I would not call that lacking ambition.
    In England & in the Championship there is a complete lack of patience in developing players. If Horgan was to leave I would prefer him to join the 2nd tier in Germany or Holland, Belgium 1st tier. Where coaches would recognise his talent & give him time to adapt unlike in England.

A footballer's career isn't as black & white as you are trying to make it out to be. I hope Hprgan isn't being advised by anyone with similar views to yourself.

So you believe it is better to have the chance of playing a couple of games every year in the champions League qualifiers versus playing 30-40 per year in a better quality competition?

No player with any sort of sense would stay in Ireland if they had the opportunity to leave.

• Advertisement

Horgan has played in more big games this season than 90% of the plodders in the championship ever will.
    So you believe it is better to have the chance of playing a couple of games every year in the champions League qualifiers versus playing 30-40 per year in a better quality competition?

No player with any sort of sense would stay in Ireland if they had the opportunity to leave.
    You say there is no guarantee of European football each year with Dundalk which is fair enough. But you neglect to consider the fact that there is no guarantee he will get games at all if he moves across channel. Very real prospect of him warming the bench for the majority of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'd love to see him go to a decent european league instead of going to the championship in England

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Move 100 percent, as a fan of the league we know what a shambles it is and the next crisis is around the corner.

Dundalks run is an exception and may not happen again for years. Horgan hasnt got time on his side, when hes making his decision he shouldn't be thinking about the glory nights v BATE, he should be thinking about a Tuesday away trip to longford or UCD in front of 200 people because thats the reality.

Hel be quickly forgotten by the media and Martin o neill if dundalk go out of Europe early next season

Dundalk this season will have played 12 European games.
    Apart from the Iceland team the 10 other European games would have been against better teams than in the championship.
    I'm not saying he shouldn't move but I would prefer if it wasn't the championship unless for money which would be understandable.

Apart from the Iceland team the 10 other European games would have been against better teams than in the championship.
    I'm not saying he shouldn't move but I would prefer if it wasn't the championship unless for money which would be understandable.

How often is that going to happen.

This sort of run happens once in a blue moon for an Irish team.

But the championship is home to the second coming, the man who'd get in the England starting team, and the cure for all Ireland's ills. Well, according to Dunphy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He should move to a team that he's confident will play him every week.

I think LOI fans would understand him leaving and wish him the best. It happens to all the best players in our league.

How often is that going to happen.

This sort of run happens once in a blue moon for an Irish team.
    So one minute your saying if Horgan stays he is lacking belief.
    Now I would put it too you that what if Horgan believes Dundalk can improve further ( 7m Prizemoney,new signings etc) & your saying it happens once in a blue moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

He should move abroad for financial reasons.
    Ipswich wouldnt be a great move footballing wise. Im not sure Ipswich would beat Dundalk if they were to play in a competitive game

• Advertisement
Advertisement