Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You're Daryl Horgan. What would you do?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Patww79 wrote: »

Money and lifestyle would be great. You're right though, pretty much putting the nail on the coffin of an international career.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Jayop wrote: »
    Money and lifestyle would be great. You're right though, pretty much putting the nail on the coffin of an international career.
    Why would it, Aussie players play all over Europe and play for their national team. The internationals are streamlined now, Australia play their qualifiers roughly the same time as we do.

Robbie Keane was in the Irish team for years despite playing in the MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I would love to see him stay with Dundalk and for them to go on and qualify for the Champions League group stages next year, so I would say maybe he could stay on for one more season. But he has to go to England this year or next if he really wants to fulfill his potential. If he stayed at Dundalk forever he might win a few caps for Ireland but if he was to move abroad he would have a very good chance of going on to be a regular in the team. Financially it makes sense and it offers him a lot of security, what would happen if he suffered a horrific leg break playing for Dundalk?

As another poster said, I was worried when Towell left Dundalk but I would be confident they will survive without Horgan, maybe they have just shown they are a stronger team than I previously thought. I think Horgan could be a star for Ireland but as we have seen with some LoI players in the past you have to be careful about what club you go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's a no brainer in terms of his career and financiallly, would rather if he went to Europe instead. The championship is a brutal league for skilful players.

He can be watched on the telly

Anyway. I think if he gets an offer from an English team he'll be away this January.

As another poster said, I was worried when Towell left Dundalk but I would be confident they will survive without Horgan, maybe they have just shown they are a stronger team than I previously thought. I think Horgan could be a star for Ireland but as we have seen with some LoI players in the past you have to be careful about what club you go to.

Dundalk will go on without Horgan regardless. Kenny will have a cheque book to pick out a few decent ballers for next season either from the lower echelons of the English leagues or at home.

Only Cork can match them right now in the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Interesting that the first page posts premise is about the money, and not the lad going abroad to further his career, challenge himself and see how far he can push himself.

With the interest he is garnishing the financial rewards will come.

I think he should probably move to see how far he can go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Move. Makes sense for both footballing and financial reasons.
    He can leave for free and probably get a years worth of wages for signing on. No brainer. As good as it would be to see him try his hand in mainland Europe it makes far more sense culturally and financially to just go across to England.

If he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it. He can still sign for a club in the LoI again. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

MD1990 wrote: »
    So one minute your saying if Horgan stays he is lacking belief.
    Now I would put it too you that what if Horgan believes Dundalk can improve further ( 7m Prizemoney,new signings etc) & your saying it happens once in a blue moon.

In himself if he doesn't want to test himself at a higher level week in and week out.

What more can he do in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Maybe he wants to test himself at a higher level?

Maybe he craves to play international football, and feels regularly playing in the championship might benefit him more.

Point being it's not all about the money, and I think it's sometimes lost for us that it's all players think about. Sure England is going to be a big jump for him, but with the attention he is receiving and likely the offers that will come his way, his decision likely won't be based purely on ££££

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Horgan should go, Dundalk have another 4 games in Europe at the very least for Horgan to show even more what he is capable of but he has no more to prove in the LOI and I think the lack of competition in the next few years will not benefit him.

The alternative argument is he stays, has another crack at the Champions League (Providing Dundalk win league) and goes before the end of the summer transfer window shuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

100% leave, it's a complete no brainer for football and financial reasons, footballers have short careers and he should test himself and see what he can achieve, this lad seems a great talent and would be a shame to see him waste it in the LOI, he would always wonder what if by not chancing abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think he should be looking at the continent. Clubs in say Belgium or Holland would be a good choice. It be a good step up without being overwhelming and he'd still get better wages and a much better chance of European football. This whole "England or bust" attitude is bollocks and probably more harm than good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He should move abroad for financial reasons.
    I'd say the same as I did for Towell, he has success at Dundalk on his plate for a number of years probably. He should be looking to stay unless it's a Championship club where the level of play is a step up. He likely won't have as good options or choice where to go as he has now, so he should exploit it and believe in himself.

Settling for the money and a mid-table backwater league 2 side when you're at the top of the game here will reflect badly on his decision making or those around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's 24. His career will be over in 10'years. He should take the biggest wage packet on the best contract terms he's offered, which more than likely will be England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

According to a recent study, the highest paid LOI player in Ireland is earning just €40k a year, just €770 a week. When you look at what Horgan has done, he could be earning 10x that with a nice signing-on bonus if he moved to the Championship. Horgan would be crazy to pass that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

He should move abroad for financial reasons.
    The thing is it needs to a right club. He could go from winning every week and titles with Dundalk(european football etc) to Ipswich. Who very well could be a mid-table championship side for a number of years with no realistic chance of winning anything. Its not always as straight forward as moving because of money. He may be able to get a move to top 4 Belgian or Dutch club which may look more appealing on the face of it all.

I think he should be looking at the continent. Clubs in say Belgium or Holland would be a good choice. It be a good step up without being overwhelming and he'd still get better wages and a much better chance of European football. This whole "England or bust" attitude is bollocks and probably more harm than good.
    Yes, beacuse Continental European teams are beaten the doors down for Irish players.

wadacrack wrote: »
    He may be able to get a move to top 4 Belgian or Dutch club which may look more appealing on the face of it all.
    Surely a move to Barcelona or Real Madrid would be even more appealing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »
    Point being it's not all about the money

Its not about the money if the gains are marginal, if a guy on £5000 a week is offered £10,000 p/w then all those other factors could no doubt be a consideration.

But when a guy on £40,000 a year gets offered £200,000 a year? Thats a whole different scenario, and in the real world any other factor comes a distant second in importance to those financials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Yes, beacuse Continental European teams are beaten the doors down for Irish players.

They've shown before they're willing to sign LOI players. No reason whatsoever an Irish player can't go to the continent. Especially with Dundalk being in the EL it puts them in view off the rest of Europe not just England and Scotland.

Genk are after Bolger. Horgan could easily play in the dutch or Belgian league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He should move abroad for footballing reasons.
    Genk were rumoured to be interested in Bolger & Maguire. Towell had offers from Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How much would they get in Belgium/Holland? 5k p week??

Irish_rat wrote: »

Yeah but I'd imagine he'll earn more in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Improve as a player and potentially earn mega bucks later on and the respect of your peers or make your money while you can and flail about in the English lower leagues? Shame about how popular a choice the latter is.

• Advertisement

Improve as a player and potentially earn mega bucks later on and the respect of your peers or make your money while you can and flail about in the English lower leagues? Shame about how popular a choice the latter is.

Or he could join a lower tier team in England make more money and improve as a player.

You do know it is possible to move from the lower tier in England up to the premier league, hundreds of players have done it.

The way some people on this thread are going on it's like he's guaranteed to regress as a player if he joins a team in the lower levels in England.

I think all things being equal, he should go. Not necessarily to a lower league English side, and if the right offer came up in Europe, it might be good for him. But we just don't know what factors like home or family questions come into play, he might be blissfully happy, his partner may have a good job so combined with his likely income in the next couple of years he may feel reluctant to leave to face the Scunthorpes and Rotherhams. Acc to the OP he seem "unsure", so he isn't giving it the big "if the right offer comes in, sayonara".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Acc to the OP he seem "unsure", so he isn't giving it the big "if the right offer comes in, sayonara".
    He was interviewed on off the ball the other night. Here's what he said when asked by Kevin Kilbane if moving to England was the be all and end all for league of Ireland players.

"At the start of the year I'd have said that it is. But now, when we've got the stage to play in European group stages, to see what it's like, and play in massive games in the Aviva, and Tallaght - I suppose it's a smaller stadium but filling it, and the atmosphere and the opposition- they're massive games, and they've been incredible, huge learning curves for me.

To be playing Champions League regulars, filled with internationals, and not only competing with them but actually beating them, it shows there is a lot of quality in the league. The league does get a bad rap, but this year, with what ourselves and Cork have done in Europe, it's given it more of a profile. It's great to see Martin O'Neill going to games to watch players, you wouldn't have seen that a few years ago.

Obviously, when you go to England, the financial aspect of it is massive, and it's more competitive in the sense that you look at the Championship, and anyone can beat anyone, and it's filled with internationals too. It's a big league, but you'll never get to play in these big European nights if you do go to England."

Obviously he may just be saying that to appease Dundalk fans but it sounds as though he's genuinely weighing up his options with regards to staying or going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Genk were rumoured to be interested in Bolger & Maguire.
    Irish_rat wrote: »

This was all made up by a known messer on the CCFC Forum and Im surprised people are still mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

More quotes from Horgan in todays Indo. Seems like a very solid, level headed fella who's weighing up his options carefully...
    I've been around long enough to know that talk is cheap," he says.

"You're not going to make enough money here to retire on, or even take a couple of years out. That's just unfortunately the way it is in Ireland.

"There just isn't the money in the game and once you know that, there isn't an issue with it. If it comes to it you'd have to make that decision and see what the conditions and offers are - if there even are offers. There's no guarantee there will be.

"You'd have to consider everything that is thrown your way, but I can't see myself leaving Dundalk for something that's not going to be of a higher standard or a similar standard.
    "The financial aspects are that there's so much money in England it's nearly disgusting but, look, you'd have to see and at the minute I'm really, really happy at Dundalk."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/daryl-horgan-tempted-by-nearly-disgusting-money-in-england-35129893.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Two approaches from Chinese clubs according to local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Two approaches from Chinese clubs according to local radio.

This a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Make money while you can. Football is a very short career with no guarantees if you pick up a couple of bad injuries. Who the hell decides where to move to get the respect of his peers? Respect doesn't pay the mortgage. Those peers that respect you certainly won't help you out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

justshane wrote: »
    This a joke?

why would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Unfortunately cash is the big incentive.

Towell rumoured to be on 10k a week so at this kind of money he has to go.

if hes on 1k a week with dundalk and they can now offer him 3k a week ( if the towell money does not materlise from other offers ) he might be happy enough to stay given his personal situ, new baby etc

Been offered 5k a week then might not seem the deal breaker if Dundalk can come up to this level

Oh first world problems !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

blingrhino wrote: »

:confused:

why is that unfortunate?

if hes on 1k a week with dundalk and they can now offer him 3k a week ( if the towell money does not materlise from other offers ) he might be happy enough to stay given his personal situ, new baby etc

Been offered 5k a week then might not seem the deal breaker if Dundalk can come up to this level

Oh first world problems !!

I'm sorry but the difference between 3k a week and 5k a week is still massive for anyone and people need to stop weighing it up in football terms, where you'd weigh up 80k to 100k.

Gross, 3k a week is 156k. 5k a week is 260k. That is a massive difference. We're not talking about differences between 4m a year and 5m a year which is a lot of money regardless.

I'd be shocked if Towell is on 10k a week. Would guess it's much closer to 5k.

If Towell is on 10k a week, maybe the first thing Horgan should do is ring Towell's agent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

:confused:

why is that unfortunate?

unfortunate when your a Dundalk supporter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Horgan gone to Preston along with Boyle. Hopefully they will both get a chance to show what they can do, alongside the Irish contingent that's already there.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/confirmed-preston-complete-the-signing-of-daryl-horgan-from-dundalk-35286731.html

Best of luck to the two lads. Going to be nigh on impossible to replace Horgan and he will be missed greatly. Brought so much excitement to Oriel Park over the last three seasons. And THAT goal in St Petersburg will live in the memory forever. The quest for four in a row has just got a whole lot tougher. But as long as Kenny is still in charge we'll be ok.

Pighead wrote: »
    Best of luck to the two lads. Going to be nigh on impossible to replace Horgan and he will be missed greatly. Brought so much excitement to Oriel Park over the last three seasons. And THAT goal in St Petersburg will live in the memory forever. The quest for four in a row has just got a whole lot tougher. But as long as Kenny is still in charge we'll be ok.

Stephen Kenny will surely get offers from abroad now as well.

Stephen Kenny will surely get offers from abroad now as well.
    I'd imagine we'll have him for at least one more season. However, if he has yet another stellar season with us which involves another European run he will most probably be gone.

Advertisement