Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best induction hob

Options
  • 13-10-2016 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Mods, please move if this is the wrong forum, but I suspect this may be where the most expert advisors will live.

For reasons of design I'm having to get rid of the gas hob, and will probably replace it with an induction hob (the same size and space as the standard 4-ring gas hob).

What's the best, without breaking the bank, and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

I have used induction for about ten years now and highly recommend it. Although I couldn't tell you what each manufacturer has at the moment, here are a few things I would look at if I was replacing mine.

Flexible cooking zones, not just limited to the usual round spaces.

Check out the power on each zone, bearing in mind that hobs tend to 'power share' if they are all used at once.

Timers on zones.

Ability to 'boost' power for ultra quick heating.

Don't forget you may have to factor in some new pots and pans if yours won't work with induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,542 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Highly recommended.

Have a Bosch one a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

twignme wrote: »
    I have used induction for about ten years now and highly recommend it. Although I couldn't tell you what each manufacturer has at the moment, here are a few things I would look at if I was replacing mine.

Flexible cooking zones, not just limited to the usual round spaces.

Check out the power on each zone, bearing in mind that hobs tend to 'power share' if they are all used at once.

Timers on zones.

Ability to 'boost' power for ultra quick heating.

Don't forget you may have to factor in some new pots and pans if yours won't work with induction.

This Bosch one, with a price that doesn't make one clench the buttocks too tight, has all of that except the flexible cooking zones, but I'm not sure what you mean by that:

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=45-41-611B18E&action=moreinfo

Oh, wait, do you mean like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PIN651F17E-DirectSelect-Four-Induction/dp/B00CBCV54U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1476612427&sr=8-9&keywords=bosch+induction+hob

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Chuchote wrote: »
    This Bosch one, with a price that doesn't make one clench the buttocks too tight, has all of that except the flexible cooking zones, but I'm not sure what you mean by that:

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=45-41-611B18E&action=moreinfo

Flexible zones means that you aren't tied into the four round shapes you see on the hob. The whole area can act as a zone so you can use different sizes of pans. This is a bosch one but lots of other manufacturers make their own versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivuo65hDprA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I have an Ikea one about 6 years now and it's been flawless. AFAIK it's made my Whirpool as are most Ikea appliances. Originally wanted gas but no way would I change now. They really are brilliant can bring things to a boil in minutes and instantly bring it down to a simmer. Have a frying pan hot enough to sear on in literally seconds. If something does boil over it switches off. And spills don't burn on. The main thing really is just the exact and immediate control you have.

They were a little dearer when we bought paid somewhere in the region of €550-600 They don't have that model though any more, our 4 rings are all the same high power 3200 watts each on boost which is handy as can place any size pots where you like and they all behave the same. I know with some induction hobs you have to match the pan size to the ring size. Mine has no issue with any size pan down to using a small stove top espresso pot.

They have a cheapish one for €275 similar layout to mine but much lower power outputs. Probably ok as you usually really only need one high powered ring but will be bit slower heating up and not as flexible.
    2 cooking zones with power booster (P) included.
    1x1800W induction zone.
    1x1200W induction zone.
    1x2100W zone with booster; 2300W.
    1x1800W zone with booster; 2100W.

They have another for €399 looks much better and as has a bridge function.
    2x2300W induction zone with booster; 3200W.
    1x1400W induction zone with booster; 1800W.
    1x1800W induction zone with booster; 2500W.

Took a bit of effort to find exact specs on the bosch
    2*2500w, 1800 and 3700 on boost read one review saying it needs pot sizes that cover the whole ring.

Be conscious though you may need to replace a good few pots and pans too depending on what you have. It's well worth it though I think.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Ryath. Startling difference in price on the second Bosch one (with the non-specific pan size on left) compared with Power City :eek:

I have to go out to Ikea some time to get some of their roe paste, to which I'm utterly addicted - delish with fried egg. Pity they don't do that yummy fake caviare made of algae any more, was really nice. I'll take a look at their hobs then. I wonder will they ever start selling their flatpack apartment blocks here.

My hob needs are limited by the size of my worktop. My current gas hob is 58cm wide by 48cm deep, and the replacement can't be much larger than that.

The Bosch one looks more or less ideal, as my cooking would tend to involve one thing on high on one ring and a couple more simmering gently on another.

Most of my pots are either Le Creuset or clones, or heavy-bottomed steel, so I probably won't have to replace many; a friend with an induction hob says she uses mostly steel pots bought in Lidl in Germany; a good few of mine would be Lidl too (steamer, stock pot) or older but still steel (tall pot, fish kettle).

Does your Ikea one plug into an ordinary kettle-type plug, or into the heavy-duty kind for ovens and electric hobs?

Mines the heavy duty kind wired in with the oven. Specs on the Bosch look decent I have a few Bosch appliances so rate them highly. Not being able to use a moka pot would be a deal breaker for me though and the flexibility of being able to use any ring is great. Would often start of something cooking on one of the front rings then move it to the back to simmer. If replacing would probably l get one with the flexible zones. I do use mine occasionally with a double girdle pan on two rings and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Does your Ikea one plug into an ordinary kettle-type plug, or into the heavy-duty kind for ovens and electric hobs?

3000W is around the limit for a 13A plug, so it'd have to be wired in to an oven connection if higher/more than one ring.

Ikea also do individual portable induction rings Tillreda for 45

3000W is around the limit for a 13A plug, so it'd have to be wired in to an oven connection if higher/more than one ring.

Ikea also do individual portable induction rings Tillreda for 45

There's a portable two-ring on from Aldi this week some time, too, I think https://www.aldi.ie/double-induction-hob/p/071829061402600
    Ryath wrote: »
    Mines the heavy duty kind wired in with the oven. Specs on the Bosch look decent I have a few Bosch appliances so rate them highly. Not being able to use a moka pot would be a deal breaker for me though and the flexibility of being able to use any ring is great. Would often start of something cooking on one of the front rings then move it to the back to simmer. If replacing would probably l get one with the flexible zones. I do use mine occasionally with a double girdle pan on two rings and it works perfectly.

What's a moka pot, please?

There's a portable two-ring on from Aldi this week some time, too, I think https://www.aldi.ie/double-induction-hob/p/071829061402600

Might be handy as an extra rings for entertaining or to keep something warm on the table but wouldn't be good enough as a main hob. I'd be tempted to get it but we have a single ring tefal already one we use camping. It's good but lowest setting is a fast simmer.

What's a moka pot, please?
    Stove top espresso pot don't use it as much since I got an Aeropress but still like it at weekends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement