Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap flooring For Gym

• 13-10-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    We have to move buildings because the one we are in is sold to new owner.

We do personal training, have equipment but do alot of floor exercises too.
    The new venue has polished floor.

Looking for suggestions to keep costs down on flooring.

Carpet may be best but I'm thinking carpet burns and drink stains.
    Lino also an option but may be too slippy?

Easy to say mats but would be long seeing d 000's go there.
    Thats a lot for start up business.

Thanks for info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭COH

Paint it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Kinda fear thats making the business look cheap?
    Also v cold for back exercises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lino won't make it look high-end.

Paint the floor and use mats for back exercises. Most gyms provide mats for floor exercises anyway so it's not necesarily going to be a negative in terms of optics.

If what you're offering is good enough and it sounds like you probably have a client base, you can probably hold off on flooring until you can afford better flooring.

My thoughts as a consumer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I know gyms and I work with flooring. Your cheapest way out is floor paint, some are grippier than others which is worth considering for insurance.
    Use that and mats for anywhere with barbells.
    On areas getting less punishment you can get very light almost feltlike carpet online. It's fine for the short term up to 24 months. Darker polypropylene contract carpet is perfect for those areas in the long term though.
    My gym has bare concrete, contract carpet and astroturf, it's a higher end gym and it looks great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Paint floor. Make platforms for lifting area.

For ground based activity, use foam mats.

It's exactly what we've done in RevFit and if anyone says it looks cheap I'll slap them.

• Advertisement

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm

€10 covers 2x6ft. spongy enough to lie and kneel on, solid enough to squat and deadlift on.

They're warm and they're cheap and I couldn't recommend them more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What kind of polished floor? Polished concrete, timber, something else?
    Painting it is easy, but might not be possible with lease conditions, make good clauses etc
    Vinyl would be better than lino. What was the floor in the previous place?

The best option depends on the exact actives really. I'd do something different in a more strength training environment (Like Revfit) compared to a fitness studio aimed at P90x type classes for yummy mummy types.

And budget affects it too.
    I'm currently doing a gym with a 150 thick rubber acoustic floor, costing about $250 per square metre.

Advertisement