Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTP. What happens when the public road to premises duct is blocked

Options
  • 13-10-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,
      the Open Eir people were putting in fibre in a workplace area. The ducting between the main road and the building was blocked (probably due to a 3rd party private car park being paved over a corner of it.)

1)
    So what can be done. Is it our responsibility to try to get a replacement duct installed. 

2)
    Is there any service that can inspect and clear the existing duct, containing an active eircom line within, to see whether it's just mud, or a collapsed duct?

3)
    If it was cleared, can Eir just request a return visit from OpenEir?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

ressem wrote: »
    Hi,
      the Open Eir people were putting in fibre in a workplace area. The ducting between the main road and the building was blocked (probably due to a 3rd party private car park being paved over a corner of it.)

1)
    So what can be done. Is it our responsibility to try to get a replacement duct installed. 

2)
    Is there any service that can inspect and clear the existing duct, containing an active eircom line within, to see whether it's just mud, or a collapsed duct?

3)
    If it was cleared, can Eir just request a return visit from OpenEir?

Thanks in advance.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]ressem,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch. Do you have the order number for this installation?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would like to take a look at the technician's notes in relation to this. For data protection reasons can you PM it to me?[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Unfortunately we would be unable to recommend a contractor that can complete this work for you. As soon as the duct is unblocked, just let us know and we will arrange for a technician to complete this installation. :) [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Thanks Pamela,
      the service wasn't ordered, though any number of requests have been placed in the past. Open Eir installed a powered cabinet nearby along the road and within days 3 Open Eir vans were attempting to run the fibre cable to the door of each premises in the area. 

Understandable that Eircom can't suggest a contractor, but is there a particular type of clearing service that Eircom recommends for an Eircom duct that won't damage the cable or any draw strings? Or a qualification for registered contractors that can connect a new duct to an Eircom manhole, with an install of ducting that Open Eir will not reject?

Sorry, I know it's estoric information, and I'd avoid asking if I could...

The closest I've found are proposal documents on OpenEir's site for 
    www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2061
    for sub-ducts

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Try the guys at [font=Walsheim-Regular, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Walsheim-Regular, Arial, sans-serif]plantalterations@eir.ie[/font] who deal with issues like these, the reps on here mainly represent Eir not OpenEir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

ED E wrote: »
    Try the guys at [font=Walsheim-Regular, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Walsheim-Regular, Arial, sans-serif]plantalterations@eir.ie[/font] who deal with issues like these, the reps on here mainly represent Eir not OpenEir.
    Thanks  ED E,

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Thanks ED E.
    But communicating with that address directs me back to the business accounts desk, and as they have no record of a customer-placed order, they don't help.

So we're back to trying to diagnose and fix the duct ourselves without a specification or guidelines, hopefully not make a bags of it, and then contact the "Eircom Plant & Repairs" department at 1850245424? 

• Advertisement
Advertisement