Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Up Mortgage, through solicitor or not?

Options
  • 13-10-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, just wondering if anyone has advice on legal fees for a top up mortgage. We are looking to put up an extension and have looked for €50k, which has been approved. I phoned around to get quotes from solicitors regarding sorting out the legalities and the figures I have received go from €1,200-1600. It kills me to fork out this much on a top up of €50k. So my question is should I get a solicitor involved, or could I just sign the documents etc myself. I have had a number of mortgages over the years and would be familiar with the process.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the real question is would your bank be willing to let you act without a solicitor. i would expect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property, as the folks there will have the best knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Steviec26

the real question is would your bank be willing to let you act without a solicitor. i would expect not.[/quote
    The small print on the mortgage package said they would strongly advise but there was an option not to avail of one, but would need to have bank witness signatures

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Steviec26 wrote: »
    the real question is would your bank be willing to let you act without a solicitor. i would expect not.[/quote
    The small print on the mortgage package said they would strongly advise but there was an option not to avail of one, but would need to have bank witness signatures

i would want to be absolutely certain of what i was doing before i proceeded without a solicitor. especially in regards to the registering of the mortgage against the property.

If you are positive that this top up is on the same terms as your existing mortgage, and that it doesnt change any of your earlier conditions (get the bank to confirm these points in writing) and if the lender is a major mainstream financial player, then why wouldn't you go for it? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement