Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed IBT looking for a scooter

• 13-10-2016 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For the helmet go into a shop and get your head measured, then try on several brands to see which fits best. The price of a helmet doesn't matter if it doesn't fit correctly.

A few years ago I got a bike delivered to Holyhead for £150 or so. When I priced in flying over and six hours travelling back it was much less hassle, that was a 750 a 125 across the UK it would be a chore.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

+1 on buying a helmet in a bricks and mortar shop. Try loads on for fit.

If importing also factor in the VRT, not much for 125 I know, but another expense all the same (also price up the time / consider the logistics for the leg work of getting to/from VRT)

I'd wait a bit longer. I'm sure the pound has another bit to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Crossan's outside Newry has a good selection of helmets

http://www.thevisorshop.com/Mobile/MobileDefault.aspx

All the dealers sell on donedeal so pick a bike you like and search for it.

• Advertisement

RHJ wrote: »
    I should have mentioned in my post that I have family in London so could stay with them, If you do mind me asking who did you use to get the bike shipped to Holyhead? I could always push the bike on to the boat and then ride it back to Galway

The shop I bought from arranged the transport so no idea who it was. London is a long way from Holyhead and would be a nightmare on a 125, you couldn't ride it back anyway as an Irish learner permit isn't valid outside Ireland. I know of a person who had a bike stuck in NI till they passed their test.

Sorry for the confusion I meant I'd ride it back once it was I was back here in Ireland, I'd push it on to the ship in the UK

Wasn't sure when you mentioned having family in London, I know plenty of people who do not know that an Irish permit isn't valid outside the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi again everyone

Just realised is the limit of a A1 125cc or 11kw? [\b]

This is the bike I'm thinking of buying
    touch.adverts.ie/scooters/vespa-px-125-180/11369231#comment_76499313

What do you think?

Also I'll need to get the bike transported to Galway is there a courier /man with a van, any recommendations?

I think you're crazy 😀

And I'm a Vespa owner. In Galway.

Have you driven or ridden a PX ? They're no pushover. Bears zero semblance to any bike ur scooter currently on sale .....

Bike delivery from UK to Ireland is 250 - 380 depending on what part of the UK you're bringing it from.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Moto4u in Rathfarnham have usually a good selection of 2nd hand scooters.

Paul Ryan motorcycles in Park West (not far from Woodies) was selling a Suzuki AN125 for little money.

I would recommend a Yamaha Xmax 125 or a Suzuki Burgmann 125 (nice and comfy).

Just a quick update

I bought the An 125 from Paul :-)

I'm getting it delivered to Galway by Thursday

Thanks everyone for all your help

Congrats. That's great news.
    Enjoy your bike.
    Well wear and stay safe.

So sorry something I completely forgot to ask what type of lock do I need if I'm parking my bike in a shared driveway and on the street?, to the best of my knowledge the an125 comes with a steering lock as standard, would that be enough security for the moment until I have time to get a lock?

I would get an alarmed disc lock and a chain lock. If you park it in a drive way then get a cover as well. I also lock the driveway with a chain over night. Too many dodgy characters around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you'd like to keep it get an almax chain and an alarmed disklock like a Xena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks listermint

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money at the moment due to being out of work
    ( I bought a bike so I could improve my chances of finding work)

Could you recommend a cheap disc lock and Chain? I wouldn't be leaving the bike unintended for that long

Okay there is an alarmed disk lock on amazon that has top reviews you can't miss it quite cheap. And get a mammoth chain they are not expensive but do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buy a proper chain and lock it to something solid. Bikes come & go, but a good lock will last a lifetime, over many bikes. My Abus Granit is 20yrs+ at this stage, so over that period has worked out at.........€3 a year ?

A standard steering lock - esp on 125, is next to useless.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Advertisement