Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike on BTW scheme

Options
  • 13-10-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a bike on the above scheme by the end of November. I'd be willing to maybe go 1 or 2 hundred over the 1K limit if it was a much better bike/deal.

I do a 28K round-trip everyday on relatively flat terrain. I've decided to go with the common consensus on here of a road bike. Which I'm currently using.

I've only been commuting about 2/3 months on a loaner bike which I'll be giving back once I get my own bike.

I basically want the much more knowledgeable heads on here to tell me what to get please. 99% because I'm clueless and maybe 1% out of laziness.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Commuter essentials for me:

- Decent tyres which are puncture resistant (Schwalbe Marathons, GP 4000S, loads of decent options here)
    - Full front and rear mudguards (1 protects your drivetrain from commutey gunk and 2 keeps your legs and arse much drier)
    - USB rechargeable lights - recharge in work every couple of weeks, no need to remember to buy batteries or w/e
    - Gloves in the winter!!

Luxuries:
    - Decent bag for carrying your gear, I use a 12L saddle bag. Got sick of having a sweaty back from the backpack even though it had ventilation.

With regards to an actual bike for a commuter I would not spend >€1k. Get a decent entry level road bike which you find comfortable and spend the change on items listed above.

Buy a floor pump (keep at home) and a hand pump (keep on the bike) + spare tube and tyre levers. In the event that you get a puncture, and commuting 28km you will likely get 1 a year, you'll be glad to have em! Pump up the tyres once a week to help prevent getting a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

jive wrote:
    Buy a floor pump (keep at home) and a hand pump (keep on the bike) + spare tube and tyre levers. In the event that you get a puncture, and commuting 28km you will likely get 1 a year, you'll be glad to have em! Pump up the tyres once a week to help prevent getting a puncture.

Yeah got a good floor pump in aldi a few weeks ago got a good bit of gear since I started, so my money is pretty much all for the actual bike.

I'd happily spend less than a grand. But equally want to get the best bang for my buck. Would you recommend any bikes in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I went with a Cube Cross Race when I did the BTW earlier this year. Stuck road tyres (32mm) on it and it is a great commuter for my 25km each way. Comfy and quick. Nice for longer spins too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did you get it?

where did you get it?

Richies in Swords.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was admiring a couple of cannondales in 2wheels earlier and desperately trying to avoid scratching the itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I went with a Cube Cross Race when I did the BTW earlier this year. Stuck road tyres (32mm) on it and it is a great commuter for my 25km each way. Comfy and quick. Nice for longer spins too.
    Ohh bike envy...

when I did the BTW earlier this year. Stuck road tyres (32mm) on it and it is a great commuter for my 25km each way. Comfy and quick. Nice for longer spins too.

I went with a

Yes this is what I need, literally a link to a bike! How much did that set you back?

Yes this is what I need, literally a link to a bike! How much did that set you back?

100 on top of the btw I think. List is €1,199.

Hi Folks,

I was in cycle superstore yesterday trying to pull the trigger on my new bike. Wasn't overly keen on the service, didn't feel like there was much thought/advice on what would be best bike for me. The bloke was sound don't get me wrong, just didn't feel the love.

Could anyone recommend a good shop to go to for service and selection please?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi Folks,

I was in cycle superstore yesterday trying to pull the trigger on my new bike. Wasn't overly keen on the service, didn't feel like there was much thought/advice on what would be best bike for me. The bloke was sound don't get me wrong, just didn't feel the love.

Could anyone recommend a good shop to go to for service and selection please?

Cheers

Richie's bike shop in Swords, excellent and personal service.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Richie's bike shop in Swords, excellent and personal service.

+1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100 on top of the btw I think. List is €1,199.

Fitzcycles Stillorgan have it on sale at 999 at the minute but not sure if they have many sizes left.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Fitzcycles Stillorgan have it on sale at 999 at the minute but not sure if they have many sizes left.

Only a 59 left which I think is what I'm on at the moment and it's to big for me. What would people's opinions on the below be:

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1625/stevens-namur-cx#reviews-tab-tab

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Only a 59 left which I think is what I'm on at the moment and it's to big for me. What would people's opinions on the below be:

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/1625/stevens-namur-cx#reviews-tab-tab

Firstly, I think cube are undersized so might be worth trying. Secondly, once it's the 56cm, fire away. I am looking at the 59cm they have on sale but can't decide because of the brakes (would like to try cyclocross, and not sure if discs might be better, as well as commute) but for road use I can't see any issues. Best advice I can give is try it out for yourself. Best way to tell, I have a Stevens and love it but everyone is different, good quality but only you will know if it's the bike for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

i was admiring a couple of cannondales in 2wheels earlier and desperately trying to avoid scratching the itch.

I've two cannondale here in my kitchen you can scratch . Cost you 2k though -)

Advertisement