Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarm quetion

Options
  • 13-10-2016 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

Lads... when installing mains operated smoke and heat detectors, should the carbon monoxide dectector near my boiler be linked with the smokes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads... when installing mains operated smoke and heat detectors, should the carbon monoxide dectector near my boiler be linked with the smokes?
    Generally speaking no.
    Different actions are required in response to fire and excess carbon monoxide. (For a fire everything is closed to prevent the spread whereas with CO you open them when evacuating to allow it to escape.)
    So unless you have an alarm controller which displays the source of the alarm (Ei Electronics do one) then you must never interlink them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Generally speaking no.
    Different actions are required in response to fire and excess carbon monoxide. (For a fire everything is closed to prevent the spread whereas with CO you open them when evacuating to allow it to escape.)
    So unless you have an alarm controller which displays the source of the alarm (Ei Electronics do one) then you must never interlink them.

Wasn't 100% sure so ran it on its own. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The Nest detectors are both smoke and carbon monoxide in one device.
    The device will "tell you" whether it has detected smoke or carbon monoxide. They also link to an app on your phone as well as having a couple of other cool features.

2011 wrote: »
    The Nest detectors are both smoke and carbon monoxide in one device.
    The device will "tell you" whether it has detected smoke or carbon monoxide. They also link to an app on your phone as well as having a couple of other cool features.

They look great but what kind of money are you talking for them? The light up feature Is grand in halls but not in bedroom

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

They look great but what kind of money are you talking for them? The light up feature Is grand in halls but not in bedroom

From memory about €120 which is cheaper than a smoke plus a carbon monoxide detector.
    You also have to factor in less installation time (install one device instead of 2), 2 year warranty and no interconnecting wire is required (they communicate wirelessly with each other).

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Nice - but not a sign of one in stock in any of the HN stores

wait4me wrote: »
    Nice - but not a sign of one in stock in any of the HN stores

Well you can buy them online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are they like the nest controller - requires a USB power supply?

Ed: just read the spec, requires mains or can work on batteries.

Steve wrote: »
    Are they like the nest controller - requires a USB power supply?

I have two, they are connected to a 230 VAC supply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have two, they are connected to a 230 VAC supply.

Yeah just saw the spec. Sort of limits where you can put them.

If you have the Nest thermostat it will switch off the boiler in the event of carbon monoxide being detected as the boiler is a likely cause of the carbon monoxide release. Clever :)

Yeah just saw the spec. Sort of limits where you can put them.

What do you mean?

There is also a battery powered version (no external power supply required).

What do you mean?

There is also a battery powered version (no external power supply required).

Sorry, was thinking about my own house, it's not wired for mains powered detectors. The usual places you would put one would be a pain to hide a supply wire.

Any idea how long the battery lasts? I can't see it being anywhere near the lifetime of a legacy / normal one if it is in constant comms with wifi?

What happens in a power fail when your wifi is not powered? I presume it just alarms..?

I don't have a nest system but was considering one, put one in recently for the inlaws as a replacement boiler controller and am yet to be convinced.

Sorry, was thinking about my own house, it's not wired for mains powered detectors. The usual places you would put one would be a pain to hide a supply wire.

So you could select the battery powered version.
    Any idea how long the battery lasts? I can't see it being anywhere near the lifetime of a legacy / normal one if it is in constant comms with wifi?

No idea. I have only used the wired ones.
    What happens in a power fail when your wifi is not powered? I presume it just alarms..?

I think the app on your phone warns you when the battery is starting to fail.
    I don't have a nest system but was considering one, put one in recently for the inlaws as a replacement boiler controller and am yet to be convinced.

Why, did you have an issue with it? How do the inlaws find it?

It sounds like I work for Nest :)
    For the record I have no connection with this company whatsoever :)

According to this:
    The Nest Protect comes in two versions, wired or battery operated and we received the latter. Ours ships with six AA batteries that Nest claims will last five years, while the wired edition ships with three AA batteries that kick in during a power cut.

Why, did you have an issue with it?
    Not really. The terminals on the boiler contoller are way too small is the only fault I would note.
    How do the inlaws find it?
    I have to go there once a month and listen to complaints about how it randomly seems to turn on the boiler at odd hours of the day and night. Sometimes the house is like a furnace, sometimes it feels cold.

I know it's probably because they are doing something it doesn't like as a 'smart device' - in fact I am certain of it but it doesn't reduce my 'responsibility' as master and commander of it because I installed it. Even though they bought it themselves and said 'Hey, sure Steve could fit this for us...'

So at the min I've my detectors In my house wired in 4 core nymj (only items done in nymj are these so easily identifiable). What have is
    Smoke x 5 ds hall, us hall, converted attic and both crawl spaces
    Heat x 1 kitchen and these 6 are all looped out back to the board.
    I then have 1 4 core from my board to the bedroom with the boiler for carbon monoxide dectector (I have no fire or any other source for carbon monoxide)

If I was to get the next models they'd just take a L N E with no link and pair up via wifi with no additional wiring? Can you pick which units you want to light up as if only be interested in having the 2 in the halls light up and not the rooms or crawl space

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

For new builds the standard is for a co2 detector in all rooms with a combustible device (boiler, fire etc) and interlinked with another co2 detector within 5 metres of all bedroom doors. They must not be interlinked with the fire alarm system.

Can you pick which units you want to light up as if only be interested in having the 2 in the halls light up and not the rooms or crawl space

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If I was to get the next models they'd just take a L N E with no link and pair up via wifi with no additional wiring? Can you pick which units you want to light up as if only be interested in having the 2 in the halls light up and not the rooms or crawl space

TBH it's very faint light. Its motion detection switched anyway. You might be happy you had it in the crawl space .

Advertisement