Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Assessment Question

• 13-10-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭

I just applied for the carers allowance for my mother who is in her 90's.
    Do they always ask the person for a medical assessment, or would someone my mothers age not be asked to go for one. Her problems are more age related than medical.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Graceland wrote: »
    I just applied for the carers allowance for my mother who is in her 90's.
    Do they always ask the person for a medical assessment, or would someone my mothers age not be asked to go for one. Her problems are more age related than medical.

Everyone has to have a doctor fill in the medical part of the form, her gp can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Her own doctor has filled in that part of the form. But I was more talking about her having to go in front of a medical board type of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

Graceland wrote: »
    Her own doctor has filled in that part of the form. But I was more talking about her having to go in front of a medical board type of thing.
    It's very unlikely your Mother will have to be seen by anyone. My Dad certainly wasn't. Good luck with your application. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Same here. Mother 90. No medical assessment other than from her GP

Thanks for the replies.
    Do you think there would be a good chance she would be approved for a carer, esp as her problems are more age related than medical. Would they take things into consideration like her not being able to cook and provide her own meals, more these type of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

I can't say with any certainty, but given her great age, I'd be fairly hopeful for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

I think you will be ok. My own mother is in a similar situation. The doctor even put Squats/climbing stairs, ladders at moderate which is ridiculous and I assumed my application would fail

My mother's doctor did the same with certain things even though I told her how bad she was. I'm just hoping her age will nearly automatically get it for her. What kind of a country would it be if a woman of her age isn't entitled to have a carer. It's the first time she's looked for one.

Advertisement